ddb prompt on formerly stable system (4.9)

ddb prompt on formerly stable system (4.9)

Ted Wynnychenko
Hello:

If this is a really stupid question, please be gentle.

So, I have had a machine with 4.9 running for a year or so.B  Except for some
minor tweaking (changes to pf.conf and the like), nothing has been installed
and there have been no major changes to it.

This morning (before I came to work), I noticed the system wasn't
responding.B  I went to the basement, got out my really old laptop as a serial
console, and noticed the system was giving a "ddb>" prompt.

Just for kicks, I reboo ted, and at some point after the networking comes up,
the system paniced and gave the "ddb>" prompt again (i can't recall the error
- still at work).B  I have been doing some googling in my free time, but could
not find anything to help me with the question below.

Anyway, my stupid question:B  This is almost certainly a hardware problem,
right?B  A dying disk, or something like that?

I am just wondering before I invest a lot of time/effort in trying to fix the
system.

Thanks

bye - ted

Re: ddb prompt on formerly stable system (4.9)

Bryan Irvine
When you get the ddb run ps and trace. Also include dmesg output.

On 2012-06-04, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This morning (before I came to work), I noticed the system wasn't
> responding.B  I went to the basement, got out my really old laptop as a serial
> console, and noticed the system was giving a "ddb>" prompt.
>
> Just for kicks, I reboo ted, and at some point after the networking comes up,
> the system paniced and gave the "ddb>" prompt again (i can't recall the error
> - still at work).B  I have been doing some googling in my free time, but could
> not find anything to help me with the question below.
>
> Anyway, my stupid question:B  This is almost certainly a hardware problem,
> right?B  A dying disk, or something like that?

Could be various reasons, hardware or software. Ideally leave the serial
console connected so you capture any output before the system enters ddb
(if this is not possible then at least do "show panic"). Also get ps,
trace, and "show registers" might be useful.

> I am just wondering before I invest a lot of time/effort in trying to fix the
> system.

It is probably worth updating to 5.1 before spending time on it,
in case it's a kernel bug which has since been fixed.