dcc port

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus

Re: dcc port

steven mestdagh
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 06:38:15PM +0100, Stefan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a port for the program dcc which I will locate
> under mail. The portname will be mail/dcc-dccd. The build process
> seems to be ok, but when the "make install" command is executed the
> port breaks with the following error:
>
> make: don't know how to make /usr/ports/mail/dcc-dccd/w-dcc-
> dccd-1.3.24/fake-i386/usr/lib/crt0.o. Stop in /usr/ports/mail/dcc-
> dccd/w-dcc-dccd-1.3.24/dcc-dccd-1.3.24/cdcc.
> *** Error code 2
[...]

/usr/lib is meant for system libraries.  you need to tell this software
to install libraries in ${LOCALBASE}/lib where ${LOCALBASE} defaults to
/usr/local.  this can often be done by passing configure options or
environment variables, or if that fails, by patching the makefile.

--
steven

Re: dcc port

Arnaud Bergeron
On 12/11/05, steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 06:38:15PM +0100, Stefan wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to create a port for the program dcc which I will locate
> > under mail. The portname will be mail/dcc-dccd. The build process
> > seems to be ok, but when the "make install" command is executed the
> > port breaks with the following error:
> >
> > make: don't know how to make /usr/ports/mail/dcc-dccd/w-dcc-
> > dccd-1.3.24/fake-i386/usr/lib/crt0.o. Stop in /usr/ports/mail/dcc-
> > dccd/w-dcc-dccd-1.3.24/dcc-dccd-1.3.24/cdcc.
> > *** Error code 2
> [...]
>
> /usr/lib is meant for system libraries.  you need to tell this software
> to install libraries in ${LOCALBASE}/lib where ${LOCALBASE} defaults to
> /usr/local.  this can often be done by passing configure options or
> environment variables, or if that fails, by patching the makefile.

ctr0.o is actually a system library.  I *think* that the software
expects it to be in /usr/lib but ends up not finding it in the fake
environement for install.  It may be set as a prerequisite for some
install command and it fails because it can't be found.

Try to locate the offending prerequisite and kill it (most likely by
patching).  You can be assured the package will find that file on
every system.

Arnaud

Re: dcc port

Jacob Meuser
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 06:38:15PM +0100, Stefan wrote:

> I'm trying to create a port for the program dcc which I will locate
> under mail. The portname will be mail/dcc-dccd. The build process
> seems to be ok, but when the "make install" command is executed the
> port breaks with the following error:
>
> make: don't know how to make /usr/ports/mail/dcc-dccd/w-dcc-
> dccd-1.3.24/fake-i386/usr/lib/crt0.o. Stop in /usr/ports/mail/dcc-
> dccd/w-dcc-dccd-1.3.24/dcc-dccd-1.3.24/cdcc.
> *** Error code 2

> The port-file is nothing else than a configure_style= simple

what does this last sentence mean?

please post you port somewhere.

<[hidden email]>

Re: dcc port

Jacob Meuser
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:03:10PM +0100, steven mestdagh wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 06:38:15PM +0100, Stefan wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to create a port for the program dcc which I will locate
> > under mail. The portname will be mail/dcc-dccd. The build process
> > seems to be ok, but when the "make install" command is executed the
> > port breaks with the following error:
> >
> > make: don't know how to make /usr/ports/mail/dcc-dccd/w-dcc-
> > dccd-1.3.24/fake-i386/usr/lib/crt0.o. Stop in /usr/ports/mail/dcc-
> > dccd/w-dcc-dccd-1.3.24/dcc-dccd-1.3.24/cdcc.
> > *** Error code 2
> [...]
>
> /usr/lib is meant for system libraries.  you need to tell this software
> to install libraries in ${LOCALBASE}/lib where ${LOCALBASE} defaults to
> /usr/local.  this can often be done by passing configure options or
> environment variables, or if that fails, by patching the makefile.

I find it unlikely that a port would be correct in installing crt0.o,
even under ${PREFIX}.

<[hidden email]>

Re: dcc port

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus

> Try to locate the offending prerequisite and kill it (most likely by
> patching).  You can be assured the package will find that file on
> every system.

I've tried but didn't find any crt0 or something similar in the
Makefiles. The Makefile where the error occures looks like this:

EPTH   =..
PROG    =cdcc
SRCS    =$(PROG).c

.include <bsd.prog.mk>

.ifndef NO_SYS_INSTALL
# cdcc needs to be SUID to read the server passwords
BINMODE =4$(DCC_MODE)
.endif
BINOWN  =$(DCC_SUID)
.include "${DEPTH}/Makefile.inc2"

I can't see any strange commands ...

> what does this last sentence mean?

The port-file is nothing else than a configure_style= simple

Should mean that I didn't change anything. I don't patch the file or
do anything else with it. I only want to run the three things
configure, make, make install. The port-file is appended to mail.

-Stefan

dcc-dccd.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: dcc port

steven mestdagh
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:35:58PM +0100, Stefan wrote:

> >Try to locate the offending prerequisite and kill it (most likely by
> >patching).  You can be assured the package will find that file on
> >every system.
> >

> I've tried but didn't find any crt0 or something similar in the
> Makefiles. The Makefile where the error occures looks like this:
>
> EPTH   =..
> PROG    =cdcc
> SRCS    =$(PROG).c
>
> .include <bsd.prog.mk>
>
> .ifndef NO_SYS_INSTALL
> # cdcc needs to be SUID to read the server passwords
> BINMODE =4$(DCC_MODE)
> .endif
> BINOWN  =$(DCC_SUID)
> .include "${DEPTH}/Makefile.inc2"
>
> I can't see any strange commands ...

the problem is that crt0.o is listed as a dependency in bsd.prog.mk,
which gets included. not sure what's the best way to work around it...

--
steven