cvsync broken?

Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:

 Remove src/usr.sbin/altq/tbrconfig/Makefile,v in Attic
 Remove src/usr.sbin/altq/tbrconfig/tbrconfig.8,v in Attic
 Remove src/usr.sbin/altq/tbrconfig/tbrconfig.c,v in Attic
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/Makefile,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/ChangeLog,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/Makefile,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/afs_ops.c,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/am_ops.c,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/amd.8,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/amd.c,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/amq_subr.c,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/clock.c,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/efs_ops.c,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/get_args.c,v
 Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/host_ops.c,v
 [... MUCH more before I hit Ctrl-C ...]

What's up?

Here's my cvsync.conf:

config {
        hostname cvsync.de.openbsd.org
        collection {
                name openbsd release rcs
                prefix /cvs
                umask 022
                scanfile /usr/local/src.own/CVSROOT.scanfile
        }
}

### lrwx------  1 root  wheel  26 Apr 26  2005 /cvs -> /usr/local/src.own/CVSROOT

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: cvsync broken?

Timo Schoeler-2
On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:23:27 +0200
Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:
>
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/altq/tbrconfig/Makefile,v in Attic
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/altq/tbrconfig/tbrconfig.8,v in Attic
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/altq/tbrconfig/tbrconfig.c,v in Attic
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/Makefile,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/ChangeLog,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/Makefile,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/afs_ops.c,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/am_ops.c,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/amd.8,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/amd.c,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/amq_subr.c,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/clock.c,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/efs_ops.c,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/get_args.c,v
>  Remove src/usr.sbin/amd/amd/host_ops.c,v
>  [... MUCH more before I hit Ctrl-C ...]
>
> What's up?
>
> Here's my cvsync.conf:
>
> config {
>         hostname cvsync.de.openbsd.org
>         collection {
>                 name openbsd release rcs
>                 prefix /cvs
>                 umask 022
>                 scanfile /usr/local/src.own/CVSROOT.scanfile
>         }
> }
>
> ### lrwx------  1 root  wheel  26 Apr 26  2005 /cvs
> ### -> /usr/local/src.own/CVSROOT
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hannah.

hi,

I see anoncvs problems on exactly this machine and the SPLINE mirror in
germany...

timo

Re: cvsync broken?

Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:40:58PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>         hostname cvsync.de.openbsd.org

>I see anoncvs problems on exactly this machine and the SPLINE mirror in
>germany...

Not really a good failure mode, just deleting everything. :-(

>timo

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: cvsync broken?

Claus Assmann-5
On Thu, May 10, 2007, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

> Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:

>         hostname cvsync.de.openbsd.org

same problem with
  anoncvs1.usa.openbsd.org
and
  anoncvs3.usa.openbsd.org

Re: cvsync broken?

Jason Crawford
On 5/10/07, Claus Assmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>
> > Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:
>
> >         hostname cvsync.de.openbsd.org
>
> same problem with
>   anoncvs1.usa.openbsd.org
> and
>   anoncvs3.usa.openbsd.org

I talked with Todd Miller about this (anoncvs3 specifically) and he
said it is a problem with the upstream mirror that appears to be fixed
now (my cvsup server doesn't delete stuff anymore).

Jason

Re: cvsync broken?

Bryan Vyhmeister-2
On May 10, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Claus Assmann wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>
> same problem with
>   anoncvs1.usa.openbsd.org
> and
>   anoncvs3.usa.openbsd.org

I think anoncvs3.usa.openbsd.org is working now. I am running a
cvsync operation as we speak and it is recreating everything.

Bryan

Re: cvsync broken?

Ted Unangst-2
On 5/10/07, Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:40:58PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> >>         hostname cvsync.de.openbsd.org
>
> >I see anoncvs problems on exactly this machine and the SPLINE mirror in
> >germany...
>
> Not really a good failure mode, just deleting everything. :-(

there's some issues with the servers.

obviously, the client can't know the difference between file
accidentally deleted on the server and file intentionally deleted.

Re: cvsync broken?

Christian Weisgerber
Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:

The same mirroring problem that affected www.openbsd.org also
affected the master repository mirror.  The damage propagated to
cvsync.de.openbsd.org and probably some other public mirrors.

Re: cvsync broken?

Jimmy Mitchener
I'm pretty sure this is all related to ualberta and www blowing up, causing
a bit of a ripple effect. It'll likely take some time for the mirrors to
sync back up

Jimmy.

On 5/10/07, Jason Crawford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/10/07, Claus Assmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 10, 2007, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
> >
> > > Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:
> >
> > >         hostname cvsync.de.openbsd.org
> >
> > same problem with
> >   anoncvs1.usa.openbsd.org
> > and
> >   anoncvs3.usa.openbsd.org
>
> I talked with Todd Miller about this (anoncvs3 specifically) and he
> said it is a problem with the upstream mirror that appears to be fixed
> now (my cvsup server doesn't delete stuff anymore).
>
> Jason

Re: cvsync broken?

Timo Schoeler-2
On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:48:28 +0000 (UTC)
[hidden email] (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:

> Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:
>
> The same mirroring problem that affected www.openbsd.org also
> affected the master repository mirror.  The damage propagated to
> cvsync.de.openbsd.org and probably some other public mirrors.
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber
> [hidden email]

Ouch.

Re: cvsync broken?

Artur Grabowski
[hidden email] (Christian Weisgerber) writes:

> Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just trying to cvsync my stuff. And it wants to remove quite much:
>
> The same mirroring problem that affected www.openbsd.org also
> affected the master repository mirror.  The damage propagated to
> cvsync.de.openbsd.org and probably some other public mirrors.

That's the usual problem with mirrors. They are also very good at
mirroring errors. :)

//art

Re: cvsync broken?

Hannah Schroeter
Hi!

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 01:46:10PM -0700, Ted Unangst wrote:

>>>I see anoncvs problems on exactly this machine and the SPLINE mirror in
>>>germany...

>>Not really a good failure mode, just deleting everything. :-(

>there's some issues with the servers.

>obviously, the client can't know the difference between file
>accidentally deleted on the server and file intentionally deleted.

The server could take a list of files as a configuration which are never
supposed to be deleted (things like src/Makefile,v
src/usr.bin/Makefile,v www/index.html,v etc.). Then, in session startup,
the server could check those files and refuse to run (and log heavy
warnings) the session if any of those files are missing.

Kind regards,

Hannah.