cryptographic accelerator for a laptop

Roger Midmore
I recently started using a VPN with my laptop for when I travel(which is
quite often) and I have noticed a detectable degradation when going
through the VPN especially when using streaming video. My laptop is a few
years old and the problem isn't that big a deal but I was wondering if
there is a card I could buy that I could offload the work to. Hopefully
one that isn't very expensive would be nice. Just wondering if anybody has
any suggestions.

roger

Re: cryptographic accelerator for a laptop

Guido Tschakert
[hidden email] schrieb:

> I recently started using a VPN with my laptop for when I travel(which is
> quite often) and I have noticed a detectable degradation when going
> through the VPN especially when using streaming video. My laptop is a few
> years old and the problem isn't that big a deal but I was wondering if
> there is a card I could buy that I could offload the work to. Hopefully
> one that isn't very expensive would be nice. Just wondering if anybody has
> any suggestions.
>
> roger

Hello,

you forgot to mention a lot of information:

what kind of vpn you are using?

what kind of laptop you are using?

As you want to add hardware, where is the mesg?

btw:
I am not aware of any pcmcia device, usb device or pci express card
doing cryptographic acceleration, but i am not that expert. But I think
if you find such a thing, it is cheaper to buy a new laptop ;-)

and another thing: maybe it would help to tweak your vpn config, but
therefore it is needed!

guido

Re: cryptographic accelerator for a laptop

Jussi Peltola
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:27:31AM +0100, Guido Tschakert wrote:

> [hidden email] schrieb:
> > I recently started using a VPN with my laptop for when I travel(which is
> > quite often) and I have noticed a detectable degradation when going
> > through the VPN especially when using streaming video. My laptop is a few
> > years old and the problem isn't that big a deal but I was wondering if
> > there is a card I could buy that I could offload the work to. Hopefully
> > one that isn't very expensive would be nice. Just wondering if anybody has
> > any suggestions.
> >
> > roger
> >

> Hello,
>
> you forgot to mention a lot of information:
>
> what kind of vpn you are using?
>

> what kind of laptop you are using?
>
> As you want to add hardware, where is the mesg?
>
> btw:
> I am not aware of any pcmcia device, usb device or pci express card
> doing cryptographic acceleration, but i am not that expert. But I think
> if you find such a thing, it is cheaper to buy a new laptop ;-)
>
> and another thing: maybe it would help to tweak your vpn config, but
> therefore it is needed!

Soekris has minipci hifn cards, but I agree, a crypto accelerator is the
wrong solution.

Jussi Peltola

Re: cryptographic accelerator for a laptop

Guido Tschakert-3
Guido Tschakert schrieb:

> [hidden email] schrieb:
>> I recently started using a VPN with my laptop for when I travel(which is
>> quite often) and I have noticed a detectable degradation when going
>> through the VPN especially when using streaming video. My laptop is a few
>> years old and the problem isn't that big a deal but I was wondering if
>> there is a card I could buy that I could offload the work to. Hopefully
>> one that isn't very expensive would be nice. Just wondering if anybody has
>> any suggestions.
>>
>> roger
>>

> Hello,
>
> you forgot to mention a lot of information:
>
> what kind of vpn you are using?
>

> what kind of laptop you are using?
>
> As you want to add hardware, where is the mesg?
>
> btw:
> I am not aware of any pcmcia device, usb device or pci express card
> doing cryptographic acceleration, but i am not that expert. But I think
> if you find such a thing, it is cheaper to buy a new laptop ;-)
>
> and another thing: maybe it would help to tweak your vpn config, but
> therefore it is needed!
>
> guido

Another question comes to my mind.
What speed do you get through your VPN and what speed do you expect/need
(specially for streaming video).
Another problem might be that your CPU cannot handle vpn and video at
the same time. (so the speed of the vpn is not your problem)
If this is your problem, maybe a new graphic card is a solution (which
also isn't quiet easy to change in a laptop)

guido

On 2009-01-14, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I recently started using a VPN with my laptop for when I travel(which is
> quite often) and I have noticed a detectable degradation when going
> through the VPN especially when using streaming video.

What does top say while you're trying to stream video? (if it's
hard to copy it quickly enough to paste in, "top | cat" gives a one-
shot display).