colored text disappears in xterm

Ted Unangst-6
I've noticed something odd when using true type fonts in xterm. When a
region of text is highlighted in a color, it sometimes disappears.
When the next block of text changes color, it's back. This is perhaps
easiest to observe in vim where random keywords disappear from code,
but can also be observed running pygmentize. Scrolling or refreshing
the screen with ^L makes it come back, but sometimes other text
disappears.

i.e., consider the following snippet.
const char *
foo(void) {
        return "string";

I open this in vim, and it looks like:
const char *
foo(void) {
        return        ;

oops, my string disappeared. I redraw, and now it looks like
const char *
foo(    ) {
        return "string";

oops, void has disappeared.

I haven't gotten this to occur with a fixed font. Unfortunately, I
only started using true type fonts this week, so I'm not sure when
this started occuring or what update my have caused it.

Re: colored text disappears in xterm

Matthieu Herrb
0;301;0cOn Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 01:00:24AM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:

> I've noticed something odd when using true type fonts in xterm. When a
> region of text is highlighted in a color, it sometimes disappears.
> When the next block of text changes color, it's back. This is perhaps
> easiest to observe in vim where random keywords disappear from code,
> but can also be observed running pygmentize. Scrolling or refreshing
> the screen with ^L makes it come back, but sometimes other text
> disappears.
>
> i.e., consider the following snippet.
> const char *
> foo(void) {
> return "string";
>
> I open this in vim, and it looks like:
> const char *
> foo(void) {
> return        ;
>
> oops, my string disappeared. I redraw, and now it looks like
> const char *
> foo(    ) {
> return "string";
>
> oops, void has disappeared.
>
> I haven't gotten this to occur with a fixed font. Unfortunately, I
> only started using true type fonts this week, so I'm not sure when
> this started occuring or what update my have caused it.

Hi,

I use TrueType fonts in xterm everyday, but I'm not a vim user and
never saw that with emacs; can you provide some more info to try to
reproduce it ? a vim config file, the Xresources you use to configure
you TrueType fonts ?
Matthieu Herrb

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 11:37, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> I use TrueType fonts in xterm everyday, but I'm not a vim user and
> never saw that with emacs; can you provide some more info to try to
> reproduce it ? a vim config file, the Xresources you use to configure
> you TrueType fonts ?

Tried it on another machine. It doesn't happen on amd64 with inteldrm.

The machine it is occuring on is i386 in vmware with the vmware
driver. That's perhaps the most important part, sorry for not
mentioning it. If that is the case, I can probably live with it.

The default /usr/local/share/vim/vim74/vimrc_example.vim is sufficient
to turn on color highlighting.

It doesn't appear specific to vim, the py-pygments package also does
it. Run pygmentize signify.c then shift-pgup/pgdn to scroll back and
forth and you'll see parts of the text disappearing and reappearing.

XTerm*loginShell:true
XTerm*reverseVideo:true
!XTerm*font:-*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
XTerm*faceName:ubuntu mono
XTerm*faceSize:12
XTerm*scrollBar:false
XTerm*deleteIsDEL:false