claws-mail gpg support broken?

viq-2
I just started playing with encrypting mails with my friend and noticed
that claws-mail has some problems with it. First it didn't want to sign
a message using my key, saying that the passphrase was invalid. Later
when trying to decrypt a message accessed via IMAP it complained
"Couldn't decrypt: No data". When I got a message that was encrypted but
not signed, claws-mail was able to access it and show contents...
So I guess my first question is whether anyone else is seeing that, or
is that local screw-up?
viq

Re: claws-mail gpg support broken?

Landry Breuil-3
On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:44:39PM +0100, viq wrote:
> I just started playing with encrypting mails with my friend and noticed
> that claws-mail has some problems with it. First it didn't want to sign
> a message using my key, saying that the passphrase was invalid. Later
> when trying to decrypt a message accessed via IMAP it complained
> "Couldn't decrypt: No data". When I got a message that was encrypted but
> not signed, claws-mail was able to access it and show contents...
> So I guess my first question is whether anyone else is seeing that, or
> is that local screw-up?

Which version are you using ? I've had a hard time struggling against a
deadlock threading issue which forced me to disable pgp plugins, but
they're back now (since two weeks), and i've been reported that it was
working fine.. but i don't use nor know pgp. I'll try to do some tests
if possible.
You could also have a look at the upstream bugtracker here to see if it
is a known problem :
http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/

Landry

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 11:46:38AM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:44:39PM +0100, viq wrote:
> > I just started playing with encrypting mails with my friend and noticed
> > that claws-mail has some problems with it. First it didn't want to sign
> > a message using my key, saying that the passphrase was invalid. Later
> > when trying to decrypt a message accessed via IMAP it complained
> > "Couldn't decrypt: No data". When I got a message that was encrypted but
> > not signed, claws-mail was able to access it and show contents...
> > So I guess my first question is whether anyone else is seeing that, or
> > is that local screw-up?
>
> Which version are you using ?

Always the newest available in ports, which makes it:
`pkg_info | grep claws-mail`
claws-mail-3.2.0p0  mail and news client
claws-mail-cachesaver-0.10.6 cache saver plugin for Claws Mail
claws-mail-htmlviewer-0.17 HTML renderer plugin for Claws Mail
claws-mail-notification-0.14 notification plugin for Claws-mail
claws-mail-pdfviewer-0.8 pdf and ps viewer plugin for Claws Mail
claws-mail-rssyl-0.17 RSS aggregator plugin for Claws-mail
claws-mail-vcalendar-1.100 groupware plugin for Claws-mail

> I've had a hard time struggling against a
> deadlock threading issue which forced me to disable pgp plugins, but
> they're back now (since two weeks), and i've been reported that it was
> working fine.. but i don't use nor know pgp. I'll try to do some tests
> if possible.

To (possibly) simplify testing here's my test case: sending signed messages
puts them in sent folder available via IMAP. Messages I sent using mutt
(encrypted + signed) I wasn't able to open with claws-mail either.

> You could also have a look at the upstream bugtracker here to see if it
> is a known problem :
> http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/

A couple of searches didn't return anything relevant. Which may just
mean my search-foo is failing ;)

> Landry

Thanks for the interest.
viq

Re: claws-mail gpg support broken?

Ulrich Kahl
Am Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:11:39 +0100 schrieb viq <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 11:46:38AM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:44:39PM +0100, viq wrote:
> > > I just started playing with encrypting mails with my friend and
> > > noticed that claws-mail has some problems with it. First it
> > > didn't want to sign a message using my key, saying that the
> > > passphrase was invalid. Later when trying to decrypt a message
> > > accessed via IMAP it complained "Couldn't decrypt: No data". When
> > > I got a message that was encrypted but not signed, claws-mail was
> > > able to access it and show contents... So I guess my first
> > > question is whether anyone else is seeing that, or is that local
> > > screw-up?
> >
> > Which version are you using ?
>
> Always the newest available in ports, which makes it:
> `pkg_info | grep claws-mail`
> claws-mail-3.2.0p0  mail and news client
[...]

> > I've had a hard time struggling against a
> > deadlock threading issue which forced me to disable pgp plugins, but
> > they're back now (since two weeks), and i've been reported that it
> > was working fine.. but i don't use nor know pgp. I'll try to do
> > some tests if possible.
>
> To (possibly) simplify testing here's my test case: sending signed
> messages puts them in sent folder available via IMAP. Messages I sent
> using mutt (encrypted + signed) I wasn't able to open with claws-mail
> either.
>
> > You could also have a look at the upstream bugtracker here to see
> > if it is a known problem :
> > http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/
>
> A couple of searches didn't return anything relevant. Which may just
> mean my search-foo is failing ;)
>
> > Landry
>
> Thanks for the interest.
> --
> viq

Does your passphrase contains any non-ascii characters? If so, can you
test with a ascii only passphrase, please?

It is just an idea ...

        Ulrich

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 12:30:10PM +0100, Ulrich Kahl wrote:

> Am Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:11:39 +0100 schrieb viq <[hidden email]>:

> > > Which version are you using ?
> >
> > Always the newest available in ports, which makes it:
> > `pkg_info | grep claws-mail`
> > claws-mail-3.2.0p0  mail and news client
> [...]
> > > I've had a hard time struggling against a
> > > deadlock threading issue which forced me to disable pgp plugins, but
> > > they're back now (since two weeks), and i've been reported that it
> > > was working fine.. but i don't use nor know pgp. I'll try to do
> > > some tests if possible.
> >
> > To (possibly) simplify testing here's my test case: sending signed
> > messages puts them in sent folder available via IMAP. Messages I sent
> > using mutt (encrypted + signed) I wasn't able to open with claws-mail
> > either.
> >
> > > You could also have a look at the upstream bugtracker here to see
> > > if it is a known problem :
> > > http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/
> >
> > A couple of searches didn't return anything relevant. Which may just
> > mean my search-foo is failing ;)
> >
> > > Landry
> >
> > Thanks for the interest.
> > --
> > viq
>
> Does your passphrase contains any non-ascii characters? If so, can you
> test with a ascii only passphrase, please?
>
> It is just an idea ...

Only normal ascii letters.

--
viq