cdparanoia release 10.2

François Chambaud-2
Hi ports@,

I have a lot of audio CDs to rip.  Before I begin this very long
process, I have verified the last cdparanoia version at xiph.org
website, and I have noticed that there is a new one, available since
2008.

https://svn.xiph.org/trunk/cdparanoia/README:
cdparanoia III release 10.2 README
[September 11, 2008]

The current package is cdparanoia-3.a9.8p3.tgz.

$ uname -prs
OpenBSD 6.4 amd64
$ cdparanoia -V
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <[hidden email]> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to [hidden email]
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

The current snapshot package is cdparanoia-3.a9.8p4.tgz.

Is there a technical reason to not have the last release 10.2 of this
software?

The port's maintainer is the list, so I write here.

Thank you for your time and for this wonderful OS.

--
François Chambaud
www.chambaud.org

Re: cdparanoia release 10.2

Kurt Mosiejczuk-10
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 07:46:46PM +0200, Fran??ois Chambaud wrote:
> Hi ports@,

> I have a lot of audio CDs to rip.  Before I begin this very long
> process, I have verified the last cdparanoia version at xiph.org
> website, and I have noticed that there is a new one, available since
> 2008.

> https://svn.xiph.org/trunk/cdparanoia/README:
> cdparanoia III release 10.2 README
> [September 11, 2008]

> The current package is cdparanoia-3.a9.8p3.tgz.

> $ uname -prs
> OpenBSD 6.4 amd64
> $ cdparanoia -V
> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
> (C) 2001 Monty <[hidden email]> and Xiphophorus

> Report bugs to [hidden email]
> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

> The current snapshot package is cdparanoia-3.a9.8p4.tgz.

> Is there a technical reason to not have the last release 10.2 of this
> software?

> The port's maintainer is the list, so I write here.

> Thank you for your time and for this wonderful OS.

You probably haven't looked at actually doing the update. When I was
starting out I thought I'd update cdparanoia. It's less a port and more
a rewrite.

libcdio-paranaoia has a cd-paranoia that will do what you want. edd and
I were vaguely discussing moving folks to using that. The cdio code is
much more portable and, as I recall, the cdio folks took the paranaoia
parts into libcdio. I guess perhaps edd and I should look at retiring
the cdparanoia port in favor of cd-paranoia from libcdio.

--Kurt

Re: cdparanoia release 10.2

François Chambaud-2
Kurt Mosiejczuk <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 07:46:46PM +0200, Fran??ois Chambaud wrote:
>> Hi ports@,
>
>> I have a lot of audio CDs to rip.  Before I begin this very long
>> process, I have verified the last cdparanoia version at xiph.org
>> website, and I have noticed that there is a new one, available since
>> 2008.
>
>> https://svn.xiph.org/trunk/cdparanoia/README:
>> cdparanoia III release 10.2 README
>> [September 11, 2008]
>
>> The current package is cdparanoia-3.a9.8p3.tgz.
>
>> $ uname -prs
>> OpenBSD 6.4 amd64
>> $ cdparanoia -V
>> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
>> (C) 2001 Monty <[hidden email]> and Xiphophorus
>
>> Report bugs to [hidden email]
>> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
>
>> The current snapshot package is cdparanoia-3.a9.8p4.tgz.
>
>> Is there a technical reason to not have the last release 10.2 of this
>> software?
>
>> The port's maintainer is the list, so I write here.
>
>> Thank you for your time and for this wonderful OS.
>
> You probably haven't looked at actually doing the update. When I was
> starting out I thought I'd update cdparanoia. It's less a port and more
> a rewrite.
>
> libcdio-paranaoia has a cd-paranoia that will do what you want. edd and
> I were vaguely discussing moving folks to using that. The cdio code is
> much more portable and, as I recall, the cdio folks took the paranaoia
> parts into libcdio. I guess perhaps edd and I should look at retiring
> the cdparanoia port in favor of cd-paranoia from libcdio.
>
> --Kurt

Kurt,

So, if I understand correctly, there is no cdparanoia III release 10.2
available?

$ cd-paranoia -V
cdparanoia III release 9.8 libcdio 0.80 x86_64-unknown-openbsd6.4
(C) 2001 Monty <[hidden email]> and Xiphophorus
(C) 2004, 2005, 2008 Rocky Bernstein <[hidden email]>

Report bugs to [hidden email]

Here is a link to CD paranoia on top of libcdio (release 10.2):

https://github.com/rocky/libcdio-paranoia

Thank you for your time.

--
François Chambaud
www.chambaud.org

Re: cdparanoia release 10.2

Edd Barrett-3

Just to chip in my thoughts...

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 03:33:39PM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> You probably haven't looked at actually doing the update. When I was
> starting out I thought I'd update cdparanoia. It's less a port and more
> a rewrite.

I've also tried and failed to update cdparanoia. It's linux-specific
code which has to be manually patched for OpenBSD and our in-tree
patches for the old version are of little use to the new version.
Updating this port will test your sanity ;)

This is one of the reasons I ported libcdio-paranoia (another is that
I have an audio CDs which crashes the old cdparanoia).

> libcdio-paranaoia has a cd-paranoia that will do what you want. edd and
> I were vaguely discussing moving folks to using that.

The only quirk I know with cd-paranoia (the one distributed with
libcdio-paranoia) is that it can't yet set the drive speed, and thus
could probably rip faster (You will see a warning at runtime).

I think this can be fixed by implementing the right ioctl(2) on the
cd(4) driver. It could probably be lifted from NetBSD.

Regardless, cd-paranoia works great. I use it exclusively with abcde
(put 'CDPARANOIA=cd-paranoia' in ~/.abcde.conf).

> The cdio code is
> much more portable and, as I recall, the cdio folks took the paranaoia
> parts into libcdio.

That's right. They made cdio-paranoia so that you could run cdparanoia
on non-linux platforms.

> I guess perhaps edd and I should look at retiring the cdparanoia port
> in favor of cd-paranoia from libcdio.

Certainly a possibility, perhaps after implementing the above ioctl(2).

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk