cantata crashes on boot

Siva
Hi,

I was wondering if you all had the chance to try running cantata.  On
my system, it crashes as soon as it runs.  Is this behavior evident on
your builds as well?

Thank you.

Re: cantata crashes on boot

Erling Westenvik-2
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 01:59:24PM +0000, Siva wrote:
> I was wondering if you all had the chance to try running cantata. On
> my system, it crashes as soon as it runs. Is this behavior evident on
> your builds as well?

You're on current? I am, and cantata stopped working (it won't start)
since today or yesterday. My last snapshot was June 24 and then it
launched (probably before running pkg_add -u) and I think it stopped
working after updating packages.

Unless someone with real knowledge steps up, I guess we'll just have to
wait. I'll try a new snapshot tomorrow if possible.

Erling

Re: cantata crashes on boot

On 2018/06/27 13:59, Siva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you all had the chance to try running cantata.  On
> my system, it crashes as soon as it runs.  Is this behavior evident on
> your builds as well?
>
> Thank you.

What does it say?

Re: cantata crashes on boot

Erling Westenvik-2
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 03:48:07PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2018/06/27 13:59, Siva wrote:
> > I was wondering if you all had the chance to try running cantata.  On
> > my system, it crashes as soon as it runs.  Is this behavior evident on
> > your builds as well?
>
> What does it say?

On my system it doesn't say anything at all. No error messages. No core
dumps. Nothing. If /tmp/runtime-<username> doesn't exist, it complains:

"QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path
'/tmp/runtime-<username>', please create it with 0700 permissions."

But if the directory exists with correct permissions - nothing. If I
remove the config directory .config/cantata it doesnt get recreated.

I've installet new snapshot and upgraded packages twice the last two
days. Guess things are in a (extra) kind of flux these days?

Erling

Re: cantata crashes on boot

Landry Breuil-5
On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 03:02:08PM +0200, Erling Westenvik wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 03:48:07PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2018/06/27 13:59, Siva wrote:
> > > I was wondering if you all had the chance to try running cantata.  On
> > > my system, it crashes as soon as it runs.  Is this behavior evident on
> > > your builds as well?
> >
> > What does it say?
>
> On my system it doesn't say anything at all. No error messages. No core
> dumps. Nothing. If /tmp/runtime-<username> doesn't exist, it complains:
>
> "QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path
> '/tmp/runtime-<username>', please create it with 0700 permissions."
>
> But if the directory exists with correct permissions - nothing. If I
> remove the config directory .config/cantata it doesnt get recreated.

At that point, ktrace/kdump is your friend.

Re: cantata crashes on boot

Erling Westenvik-2
On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 09:46:14PM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 03:02:08PM +0200, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> > >
> > > What does it say?
> >
> > On my system it doesn't say anything at all. No error messages. No core
> > dumps. Nothing. If /tmp/runtime-<username> doesn't exist, it complains:
> >
> > "QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path
> > '/tmp/runtime-<username>', please create it with 0700 permissions."
> >
> > But if the directory exists with correct permissions - nothing. If I
> > remove the config directory .config/cantata it doesnt get recreated.
>
> At that point, ktrace/kdump is your friend.

Thanks. ktrace ended with a reference to:

  6594 cantata  NAMI  "/tmp/runtime-erling/bus"

which was non-existing. This lead me to try:

$ dbus-launch cantata

which was crowned with immediate success. After (re)adding:

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/dbus-launch -a -z "${DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS}" ]; then
        eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi

to my .xsession, cantata now works.

I'm getting old and confused. Probably time for me to go back to running
Windows. Sorry for the noise.

Erling

Re: cantata crashes on boot

Landry Breuil-5
On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 02:43:48AM +0200, Erling Westenvik wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 09:46:14PM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> > > On my system it doesn't say anything at all. No error messages. No core
> > > dumps. Nothing. If /tmp/runtime-<username> doesn't exist, it complains:
> > >
> > > "QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path
> > > '/tmp/runtime-<username>', please create it with 0700 permissions."
> > >
> > > But if the directory exists with correct permissions - nothing. If I
> > > remove the config directory .config/cantata it doesnt get recreated.
> >
> > At that point, ktrace/kdump is your friend.
>
> Thanks. ktrace ended with a reference to:
>
>   6594 cantata  NAMI  "/tmp/runtime-erling/bus"
>
> which was non-existing. This lead me to try:
>
> $ dbus-launch cantata
>
> which was crowned with immediate success. After (re)adding:
>
> if [ -x /usr/local/bin/dbus-launch -a -z "${DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS}" ]; then
> eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
> fi
>
> to my .xsession, cantata now works.
>
> I'm getting old and confused. Probably time for me to go back to running
> Windows. Sorry for the noise.

So that's fallout from the --disable-x11-autolaunch thing in dbus :)