can't get X working on a DS10 w/ cirrus CL-GD5430

can't get X working on a DS10 w/ cirrus CL-GD5430

Jim Faulkner-6
I simply get a blank blue screen when running X on my alphastation DS10
with a cirrus CL-GD5430 card in it.  The funny thing is, there seems to be
no errors in the Xorg.log file, and from the process table it seems that
gnome has happily started up and is running.

As per /usr/X11R6/README, I've disabled acceleration on the card.  I'm not
really sure what I'm missing.  Here's a bunch of relevant stuff:
http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/jim/dmesg.txt
http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/jim/xorg.conf
http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/jim/Xorg.0.log

Anyone have any ideas?