can't boot into installed system

Morgan Gangwere
I'm attempting to install on a Powerbook3,2 (Powerbook G4/Titanium 500) and
I'm stuck after installation.

I've done as follows:

* init'd the disk as MBR
* let the installer make the requisite wd0i as MSDOS
* run the custom labeling, creating wd0a as FFS, mounted on / **
* Installed everything on the CD

** done because the auto label option trashes wd0i for /usr/src -- not what
I want.

I shutdown, booted into the OpenFirmware shell and ran

boot hd:,ofwboot /bsd

which yields me a line about "....ata0@disk1.../etc/boot.conf: line too
long", and finally "/bsd 00xxxx00xx0text read failed(0) trying /bsd" (I
don't have exact values)

I've tried very long and hard to get this working.

I can mount the disk appropriately from the live shell, and see what's
inside. The kernel is there, but it looks like ofwboot can't find it.

Re: can't boot into installed system

Miod Vallat
How large is your disk, and what area does wd0a span (i.e. is it near
the beginning of the disk or towards the end)? You might be hitting a
disk offset limit in open firmware, which would explain why ofwboot
fails to read proper data.

Re: can't boot into installed system

Morgan Gangwere
The disk in question is 40 GiB approx, and wd0a extends from offset 4096 to
the end of the disk.

What's the maximum that OF can handle? Is this actually documented anywhere?