c.93.3 not found when installing packages

c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Bernd Schoeller
Hello everybody,

I am trying to do a fresh install using a current snapshot (tried it with
the snapshot from yesterday and today) on i386. I am downloading from
'mirror.switch.ch' and 'ftp.de.openbsd.org'. After installation, I try to
install some packages that I need (from
pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386).

I get the report of a wrong libc available:

# pkg_add libiconv-1.9.2p3.tgz
Can't install libiconv-1.9.2p3.tgz: lib not found c.39.3
Even by looking in the dependency tree:

Maybe it's in a dependent package, but not tagged with @lib ?
(check with pkg_info -K -L)
If you are still running 3.6 packages, update them.

Do I have to switch to using ports? Any other fix for the problem?

Bernd

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Khalid Ahsein
You can make a symbolic link :

# ln -s /usr/lib/libc.so.39.2 /usr/lib/libc.so.39.3

That's I do to fix this probleme :)

* Bernd Schoeller :

khalid

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Christian Weisgerber
Bernd Schoeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to do a fresh install using a current snapshot (tried it with
> the snapshot from yesterday and today) on i386.
>
> I get the report of a wrong libc available: [...]
> As expected the libc is c.40.0 [...]
>
> I assume that because of the imminent release of OpenBSD 4.0, the packages
> are not properly updated.

More likely, the person building the i386 package snapshots simply
hasn't caught up yet.  Recently there was also a bug in the ports
infrastructure that badly affected bulk builds; this has now been
fixed.

I expect a new snapshot to be available by Monday.

(Building a full package snapshot now takes ~68 hours on the Xeon
2.66 GHz dedicated to the job.  If somebody wants to donate a new
high-end machine for the task, talk to Theo what his rack can
accommodate.)

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Joachim Schipper
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 02:24:40PM +0200, Bernd Schoeller wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am trying to do a fresh install using a current snapshot (tried it with
> the snapshot from yesterday and today) on i386. I am downloading from
> 'mirror.switch.ch' and 'ftp.de.openbsd.org'. After installation, I try to
> install some packages that I need (from
> pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386).
>
> I get the report of a wrong libc available:

> # pkg_add libiconv-1.9.2p3.tgz
> Can't install libiconv-1.9.2p3.tgz: lib not found c.39.3
> Even by looking in the dependency tree:
>
> Maybe it's in a dependent package, but not tagged with @lib ?
> (check with pkg_info -K -L)
> If you are still running 3.6 packages, update them.
>
> Do I have to switch to using ports? Any other fix for the problem?

The mirror could be out of date; otherwise, yes, you'll want to go with
ports for a bit.

                Joachim

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Martin Gignac
On 10/13/06, Bernd Schoeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do I have to switch to using ports? Any other fix for the problem?

A quick fix that worked for me (don't know if it's "bad" to do this or
not, though):

  # cd /usr/lib
  # ln -s libc.so.40.0 libc.so.39.3

-Martin

--
"Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names
the streets after them."

                                                   --Bill Vaughan

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:56:07AM -0400, Martin Gignac wrote:
> On 10/13/06, Bernd Schoeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Do I have to switch to using ports? Any other fix for the problem?
>
> A quick fix that worked for me (don't know if it's "bad" to do this or
> not, though):
>
>  # cd /usr/lib
>  # ln -s libc.so.40.0 libc.so.39.3

It is, libc bumps happen when functions change in interesting ways.

                Joachim

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

patrick keshishian
"Christian Weisgerber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I expect a new snapshot to be available by Monday.
>
> (Building a full package snapshot now takes ~68 hours on the Xeon
> 2.66 GHz dedicated to the job.  If somebody wants to donate a new
> high-end machine for the task, talk to Theo what his rack can
> accommodate.)

Hmm.. can you use a few such machines and employ distcc?
I couldn't help notice that a port for it was recently submitted
to ports@.

distcc significantly reduces compile time.  At work we used
to run it on our individual boxes and our compiles would take
a fraction of the normal time.

On 10/13/06, Joachim Schipper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > A quick fix that worked for me (don't know if it's "bad" to do this or
> > not, though):
> >
> >  # cd /usr/lib
> >  # ln -s libc.so.40.0 libc.so.39.3
>
> It is, libc bumps happen when functions change in interesting ways.

A-ha. Good to know. :-)

-Martin

                                                   --Bill Vaughan

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Bernd Schoeller
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:56:07 +0200, Joachim Schipper
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is, libc bumps happen when functions change in interesting ways.

Just out of curiosity: This is not an update to keep the libc version
number in-sync with the OpenBSD release? It would have remained on 39 if
there would not have been a change in the interface or semantics?

Bernd

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Theo de Raadt
> > It is, libc bumps happen when functions change in interesting ways.
>
> Just out of curiosity: This is not an update to keep the libc version
> number in-sync with the OpenBSD release? It would have remained on 39 if
> there would not have been a change in the interface or semantics?

Of course we only change the numbers for good reasons.  Keeping it in
sync because it is pretty?  Don't be crazy.

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Bernd Schoeller
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:03:55 +0200, Chris Kuethe <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 10/15/06, Bernd Schoeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:56:07 +0200, Joachim Schipper
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > It is, libc bumps happen when functions change in interesting ways.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity: This is not an update to keep the libc version
>> number in-sync with the OpenBSD release? It would have remained on 39 if
>> there would not have been a change in the interface or semantics?
>

> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/lib/libc/shlib_version

Thank you for the link, though it does not answer my question.

So I assume the answer to my question is: no, there would not be a bump in
libc version number just to keep it in sync with the OpenBSD version
number.

Sorry for the noise,
Bernd

Re: c.93.3 not found when installing packages

Bernd Schoeller
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:00:45 +0200, Theo de Raadt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > It is, libc bumps happen when functions change in interesting ways.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity: This is not an update to keep the libc version
>> number in-sync with the OpenBSD release? It would have remained on 39 if
>> there would not have been a change in the interface or semantics?
>
> Of course we only change the numbers for good reasons.  Keeping it in
> sync because it is pretty?  Don't be crazy.

Thanks Theo. And a huge apology to Chris for quoting your private mail. I
had not noticed that this one went just to me.

Bernd