bug man config(8)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug man config(8)

J.C. Roberts-2
The config(8) man page reads:

  The old -g flag is deprecated and no longer supported.  Instead, add
  ``makeoptions DEBUG="-g"'' to the kernel configuration file, along  
  with (typically) ``options KGDB''.

(1) bug? It should be ``option KGDB'' rather than ``options''

(2) Also, would it be better to point the user to uncomment the existing

  #makeoptions DEBUG="-g"

line in the include'd /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file? -or does it not
matter?

(3) Lastly, would it be worthwhile to added a commented out
  #option KGDB
to the /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file?

Let me know what you want and I'll send the patch(es).

jcr

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bug man config(8)

Jason McIntyre-2
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 03:24:00PM -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> The config(8) man page reads:
>
>   The old -g flag is deprecated and no longer supported.  Instead, add
>   ``makeoptions DEBUG="-g"'' to the kernel configuration file, along  
>   with (typically) ``options KGDB''.
>
> (1) bug? It should be ``option KGDB'' rather than ``options''
>

yes. this bug existed for "option GPROF" too. i have just fixed them.

> (2) Also, would it be better to point the user to uncomment the existing
>
>   #makeoptions DEBUG="-g"
>
> line in the include'd /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file? -or does it not
> matter?
>
> (3) Lastly, would it be worthwhile to added a commented out
>   #option KGDB
> to the /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file?
>

i'll let someone else answer here.

jmc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bug man config(8)

Mike Belopuhov
In reply to this post by J.C. Roberts-2
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 15:24 -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> (3) Lastly, would it be worthwhile to added a commented out
>   #option KGDB
> to the /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file?

it's not available on all architectures.
and where it's available it's commented out in GENERIC configs.

>
> Let me know what you want and I'll send the patch(es).
>
> jcr

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bug man config(8)

Nick Holland
In reply to this post by Jason McIntyre-2
Jason McIntyre wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 03:24:00PM -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
...
>> (2) Also, would it be better to point the user to uncomment the existing
>>
>>   #makeoptions DEBUG="-g"
>>
>> line in the include'd /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file? -or does it not
>> matter?

NO.
Please don't encourage people to alter anything called "GENERIC".
Suddenly, it is not GENERIC anymore.

Unfortunately, while it is pretty easy to create a custom kernel config
file, it isn't quite so easy to create and maintain a custom
cross-platform config file.


>> (3) Lastly, would it be worthwhile to added a commented out
>>   #option KGDB
>> to the /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file?
>>
>
> i'll let someone else answer here.

Again, I'd much rather see people encouraged to make their changes to
/usr/src/sys/arch/<whatever>/conf/COPYOFGENERIC  or even
FILETHATincludeSGENERIC

Nick.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bug man config(8)

J.C. Roberts-2
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:04:43 -0500, Nick Holland
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> (2) Also, would it be better to point the user to uncomment the existing
>>>
>>>   #makeoptions DEBUG="-g"
>>>
>>> line in the include'd /src/sys/conf/GENERIC file? -or does it not
>>> matter?
>
>NO.
>Please don't encourage people to alter anything called "GENERIC".
>Suddenly, it is not GENERIC anymore.

Agreed.

Now let's look at the flip side of it; since GENERIC should not be
modified why have commented features/options in it?

Only by blind luck did I find the exact change to GENERIC (uncommenting
makeoptions) in the case below that altered the trace output reported:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=113524021229372&w=2
  To: [hidden email]
  Subject: Re: Bug Hunting 101 - Finding "The" Alpha Bug
  Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:23:59 -0800
  Message-ID: <[hidden email]>


Moving the commented options/features out of GENERIC and into something
else would discourage modification of GENERIC. By making it way too easy
to modify GENERIC, the result is bogus dmesg's and bug reporting info.

Maybe a config file called ``OPTIONS'' or similar to contain GENERIC
plus all commented out features/options that someone might want to use?

Another, possibly easier, way to deal with it could be adding a checksum
of GENERIC to the dmesg output?

Is there another way to spot a modified GENERIC by the dmesg?

Is it even enough of a problem to be worth addressing?

jcr