bsd.rd anonymous ftp login broken?

Jan Stary
Trying to reinstall with the current i386/bsd.rd.
All goes well until I actually select a ftp mirror,
and asked for the ftp login, I accept the default of
'anonymous'. It keeps asking:

        ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
        ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
        ftp login ? anonymous [enter]

and never gets past this.

Tried with different ftp mirrors,
so it's not that the one mirror is broken.

        Jan

Re: bsd.rd anonymous ftp login broken?

Bryan Irvine
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to reinstall with the current i386/bsd.rd.
> All goes well until I actually select a ftp mirror,
> and asked for the ftp login, I accept the default of
> 'anonymous'. It keeps asking:
>
>         ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
>         ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
>         ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
>
> and never gets past this.
>
> Tried with different ftp mirrors,
> so it's not that the one mirror is broken.

Works for me.  Are you behind something?

-Bryan

On Jul 11 13:13:39, Bryan Irvine wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Trying to reinstall with the current i386/bsd.rd.
> > All goes well until I actually select a ftp mirror,
> > and asked for the ftp login, I accept the default of
> > 'anonymous'. It keeps asking:
> >
> >         ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
> >         ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
> >         ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
> >
> > and never gets past this.
> >
> > Tried with different ftp mirrors,
> > so it's not that the one mirror is broken.
>
> Works for me.  Are you behind something?

Behind my ISP.

Generaly, what does it mean if the 'ftp login' question gets repeated?
That the FTP connection and/or FTP login failed? That's not the case
here, as I have downloaded the bsd.rd from the very same anon FTP.

Re: bsd.rd anonymous ftp login broken?

Alexander Polakov
* Jan Stary <[hidden email]> [120712 01:55]:

> Trying to reinstall with the current i386/bsd.rd.
> All goes well until I actually select a ftp mirror,
> and asked for the ftp login, I accept the default of
> 'anonymous'. It keeps asking:
>
> ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
> ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
> ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
>
> and never gets past this.

Same here (amd64). I typed "anonymous" and it proceeded.

> Tried with different ftp mirrors,
> so it's not that the one mirror is broken.
>
> Jan

Re: bsd.rd anonymous ftp login broken?

David Diggles-2
Use http then?  To get you out of trouble.

Since other people dont have the problem, something fishy going on at your ISP?

I was once with an ISP that had a transparent proxy for http.  I noticed because
it was serving dated content, and the IP address on my remote server logs were
not my own.  Maybe your ISP is transparent proxying ftp?

My current ISP blocks a lot of ports by default.  I needed to login and disable
their firewall in my customer profile.

On Jul 12 09:40:56, David Diggles wrote:
> Since other people dont have the problem,

People do:

>On Jul 12 01:57:34, Alexander Polakov wrote:
>> Same here (amd64). I typed "anonymous" and it proceeded.

> something fishy going on at your ISP?
> My current ISP blocks a lot of ports by default.

That's not the case here:
anonymous ftp as such works for me.

In fact, Alexander's way works for me too:
entering 'anonymous' makes the installation proceed.

That leads me to speculate that just pressing [enter]
sends an empty string to the installer, which obviously
is not accepted as a ftp login, so the installer asks again.

I believe that previously, pressing [enter] did
give the suggested 'anonymouss' to the installer script.

        Jan

Re: bsd.rd anonymous ftp login broken?

Alexander Hall
I'm looking into this. There seems to be a quoting issue, since the
"anonymous" default should be in brackets, while now it seems to be part
of the question instead.

thx,
Alexander

On 07/11/12 21:55, Jan Stary wrote:

> Trying to reinstall with the current i386/bsd.rd.
> All goes well until I actually select a ftp mirror,
> and asked for the ftp login, I accept the default of
> 'anonymous'. It keeps asking:
>
> ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
> ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
> ftp login ? anonymous [enter]
>
> and never gets past this.
>
> Tried with different ftp mirrors,
> so it's not that the one mirror is broken.
>
> Jan

Re: bsd.rd anonymous ftp login broken?

Alexander Hall
Should be fixed now.

/Alexander

On Jul 12 13:06:02, Alexander Hall wrote:
> Should be fixed now.

Yes, thank you.