bridge, vether & dhcpd

Salvatore Cuzzilla
Dear all,

is someone using a setup with multiple layer 2 interfaces & a single vether IP interface (layer 3) bundled all together in a bridge?
Well, i’m using this setup too and almost everything is working like expected.

However,
I have a couple of hosts  connected to the L2 interfaces & i would like them to dynamically get an IP (dhcpd instance already up & running)
atm, this is not working. I thought about PF , but probably it’s not the issue …

any advice? configuration examples i can go through?

Re: bridge, vether & dhcpd

Stefan Sperling-5
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 08:24:34AM +0100, Salvatore Cuzzilla wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> is someone using a setup with multiple layer 2 interfaces & a single vether IP interface (layer 3) bundled all together in a bridge?
> Well, i’m using this setup too and almost everything is working like expected.
>
> However,
> I have a couple of hosts  connected to the L2 interfaces & i would like them to dynamically get an IP (dhcpd instance already up & running)
> atm, this is not working. I thought about PF , but probably it’s not the issue …
>
> any advice? configuration examples i can go through?

Is dhclient also running? If so, try to stop dhclient and see if
it works then.

Re: bridge, vether & dhcpd

Salvatore Cuzzilla
nope, the L2 if(s) (including bridge) are running only with option ‘up’ within hostname.if files
& all the other L3 ifs are with IP statically assigned

> On 17 Mar 2020, at 09:44, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 08:24:34AM +0100, Salvatore Cuzzilla wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> is someone using a setup with multiple layer 2 interfaces & a single vether IP interface (layer 3) bundled all together in a bridge?
>> Well, i’m using this setup too and almost everything is working like expected.
>>
>> However,
>> I have a couple of hosts  connected to the L2 interfaces & i would like them to dynamically get an IP (dhcpd instance already up & running)
>> atm, this is not working. I thought about PF , but probably it’s not the issue …
>>
>> any advice? configuration examples i can go through?
>>

> Is dhclient also running? If so, try to stop dhclient and see if
> it works then.

Re: bridge, vether & dhcpd

Stefan Sperling-5
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:14:21PM +0100, Salvatore Cuzzilla wrote:
> nope, the L2 if(s) (including bridge) are running only with option ‘up’ within hostname.if files
> & all the other L3 ifs are with IP statically assigned

Then you need to share a lot more details, such as your pf.conf,
and tcpdumps from all relevant interfaces including pflog0 which
show the facts about the actual vs. expected flow of packets.