booting from cf-card stops at "entry point"

booting from cf-card stops at "entry point"

Karl-Heinz Wild
The last two days I've searched
on the internet do solve my problem.

I use 128 MB CF-Cards with 3.8 current an
a wrap box. This worked with older versions.

Now, when I use 3.8 current with flashdist
with a CF adapter in a PC the boot process
stops shortly after the boot prompt right
after the string "entry point".

I've rewritten the mbr and installed manually
the boot record with installboot.

Could someone show my the way?
Whould be great.

Thanks.
Regards
Karl-Heinz

Re: booting from cf-card stops at "entry point"

Magne J. Andreassen
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 13:32 +0100, Wild Karl-Heinz wrote:

> The last two days I've searched
> on the internet do solve my problem.
>
> I use 128 MB CF-Cards with 3.8 current an
> a wrap box. This worked with older versions.
>
> Now, when I use 3.8 current with flashdist
> with a CF adapter in a PC the boot process
> stops shortly after the boot prompt right
> after the string "entry point".

Probably, you need to redirect output to your serial port. Edit
boot.conf and add:

set tty com0
stty com0 19200

Magne

Re: booting from cf-card stops at "entry point"

Karl-Heinz Wild
Hallo Magne,

In message "booting from cf-card stops at "entry point""
   on 09.11.2005, Magne J. Andreassen <[hidden email]> writes:

MJA> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 13:32 +0100, Wild Karl-Heinz wrote:

>> Now, when I use 3.8 current with flashdist
>> with a CF adapter in a PC the boot process
>> stops shortly after the boot prompt right
>> after the string "entry point".

MJA> Probably, you need to redirect output to your serial port. Edit
MJA> boot.conf and add:

MJA> set tty com0
MJA> stty com0 19200

Too stupid. Sorry I've forgotten the options in
the kernel config.

option      PCCOMCONSOLE
option      CONSPEED=38400

Thanks.
Karl-Heinz

Re: booting from cf-card stops at "entry point"

Henning Brauer
* Wild Karl-Heinz <[hidden email]> [2005-11-09 16:07]:

> MJA> Probably, you need to redirect output to your serial port. Edit
> MJA> boot.conf and add:
>
> MJA> set tty com0
> MJA> stty com0 19200
>
> Too stupid. Sorry I've forgotten the options in
> the kernel config.
>
> option      PCCOMCONSOLE
> option      CONSPEED=38400

what gives you the idea that would be the way to do cereal console on
OpenBSD?

the previous poster's advice is exactly right.

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...
(Dennis Ritchie)

Re: booting from cf-card stops at "entry point"

Stuart Henderson
>> option      PCCOMCONSOLE
>> option      CONSPEED=38400
>
> what gives you the idea that would be the way to do cereal console on
> OpenBSD?

some sample 'soekris kernel config' files, and possibly previous use of
some other OS that do need options compiled-in to work predictably and
correctly :(

> the previous poster's advice is exactly right.

yes.