bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Jan Stary
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Heptas Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> why can't you?
> >
> > because I don't have an OpenBSD booting media (the laptop has no
> > CD-ROM, and I don't have bootable USB drive with OpenBSD - that's
> > where I'm trying to get to).
> > -heptas

But you do have CDROM on the windows box:

So boot the OpenBSD CD on this windows machine,
and install OpenBSD onto a USB thumb. Then boot
from that USB thumb on your laptop, and install
OpenBSD on the laptop. Done.

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Michał Markowski
As Otto suggested: try PXE, it's relatively simple.
http://openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE

You can also write this i386 image to your flash disk using dd:
http://devio.us/~doc/openbsd52_usb/
(done as in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.tech/30048)

Michał Markowski

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Christer Solskogen-3
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Michał Markowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As Otto suggested: try PXE, it's relatively simple.
> http://openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE

UEFI machine may have a problem doing that. At least Macbooks and
Lenovo with "secure" boot enabled.

> You can also write this i386 image to your flash disk using dd:
> http://devio.us/~doc/openbsd52_usb/
> (done as in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.tech/30048)

But they are not official.
I know that some linux distributions (like Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch
Linux) have some kind of a special iso that is both dd-able to a USB
stick and writable to a CD/DVD. I don't have the technical knowledge
of how that works or how to implement it, nor if its secure enough for
OpenBSD. But if somebody do, maybe the people that wants it so much
can donate a fistful of dollars to get that implemented?

chs,

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

sven falempin
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Michał Markowski
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> As Otto suggested: try PXE, it's relatively simple.
> http://openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE
>
> You can also write this i386 image to your flash disk using dd:
> http://devio.us/~doc/openbsd52_usb/
> (done as in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.tech/30048)
>

> With two USB and the floppy install you can do it :-)
cygwin has dd, use /dev/sdX as a target not \\.\Physi
would be awesome to have ffs driver for windows though ^_^
and disklable

My last laptop is only UEFI boot :(

IMHO installXX.iso is deprecated and should be installXX.dd for USB key

 --
> Michał Markowski

/\

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
On 2013-02-12 10:17, Scott McEachern wrote:

> On 02/12/13 08:10, Heptas Torres wrote:

>>> How do you do it then, exactly?
>>>
>> In case of Linux images with one of the tools I mentioned in one of my
>> -h
>>

> Oh for pete's sake, it's 2013.  Go to your local computer store and
> spend (at most) $20 dollars on an optical drive.  Install the damn thing
> on your Winbox, follow the many directions already posted here, and be
> done with it.
>
> It's not rocket surgery and optical drives really do come in handy. And
> they're dirt cheap.
>
> Or, save the $20 and install VirtualBox like people have suggested.
>
> Just end this stupid thread because you're talking in circles.

$20 may sound cheap to you, but that's not cheap in every part of the
world, especially for a device you'll use only ONCE to install the OS.
It's 2013, and buying floppies/optical drives isn't the best of advices.

What's wrong PXE?

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

2013/2/13 Christer Solskogen <[hidden email]>:
> But they are not official.

Of course, but it works for now.

> I know that some linux distributions (like Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch
> Linux) have some kind of a special iso that is both dd-able to a USB
> stick and writable to a CD/DVD.

Most of them now have, as far as I know. How it generally works:
http://wiki.geteasypeasy.com/Hybrid_ISO/IMG_format

USB ports in machines are very common nowadays, CD drives not so much
anymore, so such "official" disk image with just bootloader + bsd.rd
inside could come in handy.

Michał Markowski

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Michał Markowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Most of them now have, as far as I know. How it generally works:
> http://wiki.geteasypeasy.com/Hybrid_ISO/IMG_format
>
> USB ports in machines are very common nowadays, CD drives not so much
> anymore, so such "official" disk image with just bootloader + bsd.rd
> inside could come in handy.

I'll be willing to donate some cash to get someone to do that for
OpenBSD if there are anyone up for the task.

chs,

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Scott McEachern-2
On 02/13/13 13:14, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:

> On 2013-02-12 10:17, Scott McEachern wrote:
>> Oh for pete's sake, it's 2013. Go to your local computer store and
>> spend (at most) $20 dollars on an optical drive. Install the damn
>> thing on your Winbox, follow the many directions already posted here,
>> and be done with it. It's not rocket surgery and optical drives
>> really do come in handy. And they're dirt cheap. Or, save the $20 and
>> install VirtualBox like people have suggested. Just end this stupid
>> thread because you're talking in circles.
> $20 may sound cheap to you, but that's not cheap in every part of the
> world, especially for a device you'll use only ONCE to install the OS.
> It's 2013, and buying floppies/optical drives isn't the best of advices.

Right.  And an optical drive on a Windows box will *never* be used
again.  And it could never be repurposed on another machine.  What a
complete waste of money.  Silly me; bad advice.

Fine, $20 is the difference between him paying the rent or eating. I get
it.  But like I reminded him, there are free options already suggested
by the list and he's done what with that advice?

> What's wrong PXE?

Nothing.  I had to use it earlier today myself on a machine with no
CDROM that couldn't boot from USB.  (Sound familiar?)  But that's also
assuming that his machine is capable of PXE, and the OP hasn't said
anything about it.  (My bad, maybe he did and it's one of the messages
in this thread I skipped.)

My point still stands:  He's been given advice six ways through Sunday
on how to accomplish this task, both free and non-free, he's also been
pointed to the archives and yet this thread lives on. Like I said,
talking in circles now.

--
Scott McEachern

https://www.blackstaff.ca

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Matthias Appel
Am 13.02.2013 19:14, schrieb Hugo Osvaldo Barrera:

> $20 may sound cheap to you, but that's not cheap in every part of the
> world, especially for a device you'll use only ONCE to install the OS.
> It's 2013, and buying floppies/optical drives isn't the best of advices.
>
> What's wrong PXE?

If 20$ is too much to spend for OP, I would like to donate a working USB
slimline CD/DVD drive, which I don't use anymore(working, of course!).
The only two conditions are:

*Snail-mailing the drive does not cost a fortune.
*If I am in his part of the world, or he is in my part of it, he has to
pay me a pint of beer.
*Only valid for OP....don't come knocking for free DVD drives ;-)

I am not able to contribute very much to the OpenBSD community, but if
this is what I can do to have another user using OpenBSD, I would be
glad to do so!

Regards,

Matthias

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows? [OT]

Matthias Appel
Am 20.02.2013 02:45, schrieb sven falempin:

> If 20$ is too much to spend for OP, I would like to donate a working
> USB slimline CD/DVD drive, which I don't use anymore(working, of course!).
>
>     The only two conditions are:
>
>     *Snail-mailing the drive does not cost a fortune.
>     *If I am in his part of the world, or he is in my part of it, he
>     has to pay me a pint of beer.
>     *Only valid for OP....don't come knocking for free DVD drives ;-)
>
>     I am not able to contribute very much to the OpenBSD community,
>     but if this is what I can do to have another user using OpenBSD, I
>     would be glad to do so!
>

>     Regards,
>
>     Matthias
>
> i am pretty sure usb key cost less than beer somewhere :-)

Challenge accepted:

http://www.e-tec.at/frame1/details.php?art=42888

http://www.josef.co.at/JosefNeu/Web/pdf/Getr%C3%A4nkeangebot.pdf
(Just look beneath "OFFENE BIERE")

And I am talking about *beer* not yellow coloured water :-P

And yeah, OK...2nd condition of the deal is opt-out, of course (hence
the low possibility of meeting somewhere, anyway)

Cheers,

Matthias

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Matthias Appel <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  Am 20.02.2013 02:45, schrieb sven falempin:
>
> If 20$ is too much to spend for OP, I would like to donate a working USB
> slimline CD/DVD drive, which I don't use anymore(working, of course!).
>
>> The only two conditions are:
>>
>> *Snail-mailing the drive does not cost a fortune.
>> *If I am in his part of the world, or he is in my part of it, he has to
>> pay me a pint of beer.
>> *Only valid for OP....don't come knocking for free DVD drives ;-)
>>
>> I am not able to contribute very much to the OpenBSD community, but if
>> this is what I can do to have another user using OpenBSD, I would be glad
>> to do so!
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>  i am pretty sure usb key cost less than beer somewhere :-)
>

> Challenge accepted:
>
> http://www.e-tec.at/frame1/details.php?art=42888
>
> http://www.josef.co.at/JosefNeu/Web/pdf/Getr%C3%A4nkeangebot.pdf
> (Just look beneath "OFFENE BIERE")
>
> And I am talking about *beer* not yellow coloured water :-P
>

> And yeah, OK...2nd condition of the deal is opt-out, of course (hence the
> low possibility of meeting somewhere, anyway)
>

> Cheers,
>

> Matthias

4 hours to go , place your bet (shipping is a pain though)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design-Handgun-Shaped-8GB-USB-2-0-Flash-Memory-Pen-Drive-Stick-Thumb-/330876107090?pt=US_USB_Flash_Drives&hash=item4d09c0b952

/\

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Aaron Mason
Another option is to use syslinux and memdisk to boot the cdxx.iso image,
then copy the source tarballs and INSTALL.arch onto the thumb drive and go
from there.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

batence
Hello folks, there was a finally worked solution ! :)

From OpenBSD 5.5 Release Notes: Disk images which can be written to a USB flash drive (miniroot55.fs [bsd.rd only] and install55.fs [bsd.rd + unsigned sets]) are now provided for amd64 and i386.

1. Download install5X.fs from iso directory.

Select the fs image and click on "Write to disk". All done! :)

 Rawrite32 accepts filesystem image files (suffix ".fs") and compressed filesystem images (suffix ".fs.gz" or ".fs.bz2").
12