boot disk ???

PJ-14
What am I missing here?
Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.
This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
trash FreeBSD.
FBSDs disks boot with no problem...

--
HervC) Kempf: "Pour sauver la planC(te, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- [hidden email]
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php

Re: boot disk ???

STeve Andre'
On Wednesday 05 August 2009 15:15:13 PJ wrote:
> What am I missing here?
> Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.
> This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
> trash FreeBSD.
> FBSDs disks boot with no problem...

It would help very much if you would state where you got the
image from, and also try making another copy of it and trying
that.  What happens when you try booting?

You can always create a boot floppy and do an ftp install if you
are having CD problems.

--STeve Andre'

Re: boot disk ???

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
PJ <[hidden email]> writes:

> Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.

Strange. The installNN.iso images are definitely meant to be bootable.
When I have not had easy access to a real CD set, I have at times
booted and installed machines from disks burned from those files, so I
suspect the missing bit is how the disks were burned.

> This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
> trash FreeBSD.
> FBSDs disks boot with no problem...

Not a good beginning, but unless there's some odd detail we're
missing, if you're able to boot FreeBSD there is normally no reason
why an OpenBSD installer disk for the appropriate platform should fail
to boot.

The first question should probably be, did you verify that the .iso
file matched the checksum before you burned it to disk?  If the file
was corrupted, that would be a good reason why you could not get it to
boot.

Once you've cleared that hurdle, It would help a lot with more details
about the hardware, what image file you are using and where it came
from (ie is it the i386 one, the amd64 one, off an official mirror
site, or something different) and what application and options you use
to burn the CD.  Burning CD images to DVD media does not always work,
for example (probably a stupid one that risks insistent
contradictions, but well,), so any detail you supply could be helpful
in sorting out whatever the problem is.

- Peter

Re: boot disk ???

Jason McIntyre-2
On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 03:15:13PM -0400, PJ wrote:
> What am I missing here?
> Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.
> This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
> trash FreeBSD.
> FBSDs disks boot with no problem...

it would help if you said what methods you were using to burn the disk.
the cdio(1) tao command can burn images.

jmc

Re: boot disk ???

nealHogan
On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 03:15:13PM -0400, PJ wrote:
> What am I missing here?
> Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.

It's gotta be something you're doing, for 4.5 has been around for a
while (since May) and would have been fixed by now, if it were a
problem.

> This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
> trash FreeBSD.
> FBSDs disks boot with no problem...
>
> --
> HervC) Kempf: "Pour sauver la planC(te, sortez du capitalisme."
> Phil Jourdan --- [hidden email]
>    http://www.ptahhotep.com
>    http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php

Re: boot disk ???

Nick Holland
PJ wrote:
> What am I missing here?
> Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.

Yes, it does.

> This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
> trash FreeBSD.
> FBSDs disks boot with no problem...

As do properly created OpenBSD boot disks.

Give us some details, and maybe we can help you out.

Quick first test, though: boot up OS of your choice, look on your CD,
what do you see?

Nick.

Re: boot disk ???

PJ-14
STeve Andre' wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 August 2009 15:15:13 PJ wrote:
>
>> What am I missing here?
>> Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.
>> This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
>> trash FreeBSD.
>> FBSDs disks boot with no problem...
>>

> It would help very much if you would state where you got the
> image from,
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.5/i386/cd45.iso
>  and also try making another copy of it and trying
> that.  What happens when you try booting?

Obviously, if I hadn't tried to boot I wouldn't be asking here; but I'll
humor you ;-) ...:
"Searching for Boot Record from CD/DVD-0..Not Found
Boot Failure
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device
Press any key when ready
> You can always create a boot floppy and do an ftp install if you
> are having CD problems.

It's not I who is having problems. I think it's OpenBSD.

It doesn't take much to look at the contents of the ISO file and see
that it won't boot. But I guess I'm a glutton for frustration and I was
just laughing at myself.
Now what.
This is a great start for a new system.

--
HervC) Kempf: "Pour sauver la planC(te, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- [hidden email]
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php

Re: boot disk ???

Daniel Bolgheroni-4
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, PJ wrote:

> It's not I who is having problems. I think it's OpenBSD.

I think you're not trying to help yourself.

Even you beeing ironic in your first message, people are trying to help.

--
Daniel Bolgheroni
FEI - Faculdade de Engenharia Industrial

ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 against HTML e-mail   X
                      / \

Re: boot disk ???

Theo de Raadt

Your attitude stinks.  Good luck with life.

PJ <[hidden email]> writes:

> It doesn't take much to look at the contents of the ISO file and see
> that it won't boot.

Assuming you're not just trolling, this sounds very much like a
corrupted download.  They *do* happen from time to time.

Check whether your .iso file matches the MD5 checksum listed in the
MD5 file from the same directory you fetched your .iso (or a
corresponding one from another mirror, should not matter).  If they
don't match, download a fresh copy and use that.

Re: boot disk ???

PJ-14
Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

> PJ <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>> Burning the iso image of install45.iso does not create a bootable disk.
>>

> Strange. The installNN.iso images are definitely meant to be bootable.
> When I have not had easy access to a real CD set, I have at times
> booted and installed machines from disks burned from those files, so I
> suspect the missing bit is how the disks were burned.
>

>> This is not a very good beginning for someone who has just decided to
>> trash FreeBSD.
>> FBSDs disks boot with no problem...
>>

> Not a good beginning, but unless there's some odd detail we're
> missing, if you're able to boot FreeBSD there is normally no reason
> why an OpenBSD installer disk for the appropriate platform should fail
> to boot.
>
> The first question should probably be, did you verify that the .iso
> file matched the checksum before you burned it to disk?
Checksums match!
>   If the file
> was corrupted, that would be a good reason why you could not get it to
> boot.
>
> Once you've cleared that hurdle, It would help a lot with more details
> about the hardware, what image file you are using and where it came
> from (ie is it the i386 one, the amd64 one, off an official mirror
> site, or something different) and what application and options you use
> to burn the CD.
I already posted wherefrom - openBSD ftp site; the burning was done
exaactly the same as for the FreeBSD and many other files without ever
having any problems... and I mean, EVER !
>   Burning CD images to DVD media does not always work,
> for example (probably a stupid one that risks insistent
> contradictions, but well,), so any detail you supply could be helpful
> in sorting out whatever the problem is.
It really pisses me off that everyone assumes that the poor sap who is
asking for help is too stupid to have done things right and they just
forget that maybe the problem is in the SOURCE !
I know what a bootable image usually looks like... but neither of those
I downloaded look right.
Unless, of course the booting is supposed to be done in some
incomprehesible way from some other operating system in some mysterious
way that is not spelled out anywhere where I can find it, anyway. :-)
Sorry, but I'm ust laughing all theway back to FreeBSD... they may be
fucked-up but at least I can managed to figure out how to to deal with them.
I liked the idea of how your head honcho runs things and the general
response to the OS, but by gosh and by golly, Molly, somebody ai'nt got
the steering sheel pointed right!

--
HervC) Kempf: "Pour sauver la planC(te, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- [hidden email]
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php

Re: boot disk ???

Liam J. Foy-3
PJ wrote:
> Unless, of course the booting is supposed to be done in some
> incomprehesible way from some other operating system in some mysterious
> way that is not spelled out anywhere where I can find it, anyway. :-)

You've done it wrong. Sure as eggs are eggs you did it wrong. Promise!

> Sorry, but I'm ust laughing all theway back to FreeBSD... they may be
> fucked-up but at least I can managed to figure out how to to deal with them.
> I liked the idea of how your head honcho runs things and the general
> response to the OS, but by gosh and by golly, Molly, somebody ai'nt got
> the steering sheel pointed right!

I'm actually delighted it doesn't work for you.

--
Liam J. Foy
NetBSD Developer <[hidden email]>

Re: boot disk ???

Nick Guenther
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM, PJ<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

> It really pisses me off that everyone assumes that the poor sap who is
> asking for help is too stupid to have done things right and they just
> forget that maybe the problem is in the SOURCE !
> I know what a bootable image usually looks like... but neither of those
> I downloaded look right.
> Unless, of course the booting is supposed to be done in some
> incomprehesible way from some other operating system in some mysterious
> way that is not spelled out anywhere where I can find it, anyway. :-)
> Sorry, but I'm ust laughing all theway back to FreeBSD... they may be
> fucked-up but at least I can managed to figure out how to to deal with them.
> I liked the idea of how your head honcho runs things and the general
> response to the OS, but by gosh and by golly, Molly, somebody ai'nt got
> the steering sheel pointed right!

That pisses me off too but a lot of the time there is something stupid
going on. Seriously, did you check the md5? You really need to clear
all the basics before whining around here. Like someone said, if
install45.iso wasn't bootable in general it would have been fixed by
now; if it isn't bootable on your particular machine that's a
different issue, and you should post the machine's specs, possibly a
dmesg (get one from FreeBSD?).

Re: boot disk ???

nealHogan
> having any problems... and I mean, EVER !
> >   Burning CD images to DVD media does not always work,
> > for example (probably a stupid one that risks insistent
> > contradictions, but well,), so any detail you supply could be helpful
> > in sorting out whatever the problem is.
> It really pisses me off that everyone assumes that the poor sap who is
> asking for help is too stupid to have done things right and they just
> forget that maybe the problem is in the SOURCE !
> I know what a bootable image usually looks like... but neither of those
> I downloaded look right.
> Unless, of course the booting is supposed to be done in some
> incomprehesible way from some other operating system in some mysterious
> way that is not spelled out anywhere where I can find it, anyway. :-)
> Sorry, but I'm ust laughing all theway back to FreeBSD... they may be
> fucked-up but at least I can managed to figure out how to to deal with them.
> I liked the idea of how your head honcho runs things and the general
> response to the OS, but by gosh and by golly, Molly, somebody ai'nt got
> the steering sheel pointed right!

WOW! You are an over-reacting baby!

I want to apologize to the oBSD community for suggesting that this guy
move to oBSD. He indicated that he was having difficulties with fBSD
(for years) on an fBSD mailing-list and I thought I'd lend a hand. I'm
sorry that I did.

> --
> HervC) Kempf: "Pour sauver la planC(te, sortez du capitalisme."
> Phil Jourdan --- [hidden email]
>    http://www.ptahhotep.com
>    http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php

Re: boot disk ???

Marcus Watts
 PJ <[hidden email]> writes:
> It's not I who is having problems. I think it's OpenBSD.

Assigning blame before resolving the problem is counter-productive.

> It doesn't take much to look at the contents of the ISO file and see
> that it won't boot. But I guess I'm a glutton for frustration and I was
> just laughing at myself.
> Now what.

The only evidence you've produced here indicates your bios
didn't like your CD.  There's a rather large tree of possibilities
for what could cause this - most of which have nothing to do
with OpenBSD.

You're right, it doesn't take much to look at an ISO image.

Have you verified that your burned cd has the same checksum as your
downloaded ISO file?

So what did you find when you looked at the contents of your cd?
Are there tar balls?  kernels?  el torito boot image?

> This is a great start for a new system.

Temper, temper.

                                        -Marcus Watts

Re: boot disk ???

Josh Grosse
On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 06:08:33PM -0400, PJ wrote:
> I know what a bootable image usually looks like... but neither of those
> I downloaded look right.
> Unless, of course the booting is supposed to be done in some
> incomprehesible way from some other operating system in some mysterious
> way that is not spelled out anywhere where I can find it, anyway. :-)

In previous private e-mail, I sent you a description of every file in cd45.iso.
In previous private e-mail, I asked you what you saw, from any other OS, when
you mounted the disc.

I've received no replies.

In the hope that those e-mails went into the bit bucket, and you never saw
them, I will resend, publicly, the file descriptions I had previously sent.

Please let us know if your content matches this:

./4.5 directory
./4.5/i386 directory
./4.5/i386/boot.catalog El Torito boot catalog
./4.5/i386/bsd.rd OpenBSD ramdisk kernel
./4.5/i386/cdboot OpenBSD second stage boot loader
./4.5/i386/cdbr El Torito first stage boot loader
./4.5/i386/TRANS.TBL CD9660 translation table
./4.5/TRANS.TBL ditto
./etc directory
./etc/boot.conf boot configuration
./etc/TRANS.TBL see above
./TRANS.TBL ditto

If your content matches, then as I'd written previously in private e-mail,
try cdemu45.iso.  That version is required if your BIOS requires large
diskette emulation to boot an El Torito disc.  It would be unusual, but
not impossible.

Or, you can give up.  Either way, the choice is yours.

Re: boot disk ???

Peter Kay (Syllopsium)
PJ wrote:

> It really pisses me off that everyone assumes that the poor sap who is
> asking for help is too stupid to have done things right and they just
> forget that maybe the problem is in the SOURCE !
> I know what a bootable image usually looks like... but neither of those
> I downloaded look right.
Seeing as only last Thursday I downloaded a 4.5 i386 CD, burnt it using
Infrarecorder (Windows)  and booted it without any problems you might
see why some people are a little doubtful of your claims, particularly
as you seem all too ready to run back to FreeBSD. If this is a troll,
it's a very poor one.

Still, if you have some weirdly quirky hardware, there's still the boot
floppies or netbooting bsd.rd. All of those work well and you should try
them if the CD fails.

It's also possible to stick it on USB flash, or boot up a VM and run the
CD or any of the alternative methods in that. Those will all prove it
boots with little problem and that we don't need to hack the bootloader
on with a very small magnet.

If the downloaded image looked 'odd' you should check out SGI boot CDs
(for any OS) - now *that's* odd.

PK

Re: boot disk ???

Nixdevnull
PJ wrote:

> Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
>> PJ <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Once you've cleared that hurdle, It would help a lot with more details
>> about the hardware, what image file you are using and where it came
>> from (ie is it the i386 one, the amd64 one, off an official mirror
>> site, or something different) and what application and options you use
>> to burn the CD.
> I already posted wherefrom - openBSD ftp site; the burning was done
> exaactly the same as for the FreeBSD and many other files without ever
> having any problems... and I mean, EVER !

Yes, OpenBSD 4.5 has been out since May and you are the first to discover that the CD install image (that spans across all the FTP mirrors) has a magical non-bootable bug!  Yeah, that's likely.

Re: boot disk ???

Theo de Raadt
> > having any problems... and I mean, EVER !
> > >   Burning CD images to DVD media does not always work,
> > > for example (probably a stupid one that risks insistent
> > > contradictions, but well,), so any detail you supply could be helpful
> > > in sorting out whatever the problem is.
> > It really pisses me off that everyone assumes that the poor sap who is
> > asking for help is too stupid to have done things right and they just
> > forget that maybe the problem is in the SOURCE !
> > I know what a bootable image usually looks like... but neither of those
> > I downloaded look right.
> > Unless, of course the booting is supposed to be done in some
> > incomprehesible way from some other operating system in some mysterious
> > way that is not spelled out anywhere where I can find it, anyway. :-)
> > Sorry, but I'm ust laughing all theway back to FreeBSD... they may be
> > fucked-up but at least I can managed to figure out how to to deal with them.
> > I liked the idea of how your head honcho runs things and the general
> > response to the OS, but by gosh and by golly, Molly, somebody ai'nt got
> > the steering sheel pointed right!
>
> WOW! You are an over-reacting baby!
>
> I want to apologize to the oBSD community for suggesting that this guy
> move to oBSD. He indicated that he was having difficulties with fBSD
> (for years) on an fBSD mailing-list and I thought I'd lend a hand. I'm
> sorry that I did.

I saw your post on that list, and I knew he was coming, so I shipped
out a broken snapshot to cause him harm, on purpose.

PJ <[hidden email]> writes:

>> The first question should probably be, did you verify that the .iso
>> file matched the checksum before you burned it to disk?
> Checksums match!

Show me. I need to see the exact command and any output.

> I already posted wherefrom - openBSD ftp site; the burning was done
> exaactly the same as for the FreeBSD and many other files without ever
> having any problems... and I mean, EVER !

Show me. I need to see the exact command and any output.  NO editing allowed.

For both a burn that succeeds (that is, produces a bootable disk) and
one that produces a non-booting OpenBSD disk from a file that matches
the checksums.

> I know what a bootable image usually looks like... but neither of those
> I downloaded look right.

Then maybe you would be so kind as to share that information with us?

At this point you have offered only a slightly drawn-out version of "I
can't get this to work and it's YOUR fault", with no information that
could actually have helped in debugging just what went wrong, but
generously padded with "I know best" tidbits like that bit I just
quoted.

The people who asked you the things you found ever-so-insulting really
wanted to help.  But you chose to yell at them instead of offering up
the useful information they asked for, so you've probably blown your
chances of getting any help here, at least for now.  Much like any
other mailing list populated by volunteers, come to think of it.