boot.conf timeout ignored on amd64?

Toni Mueller-10
Hi,

I'm working on an amd64 box (Opteron 146) with a soft raid with
autoconfig in place. The soft raid works fine, but boot.conf is
somewhat weird. Some experimenting revealed that I have three
partitions which are recognized as boot partitions:

/dev/wd0a, /dev/wd1a, and /dev/raid0a.

On /dev/wd0a, the /etc/boot.conf file is recognized (what happens if
wd0 goes bad??). But the kernel listed therein is taken from
/dev/raid0a:

--------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------
set timeout 30
boot /bsd.mpr
--------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------

This should give me a 30 second pause before the machine boots the
named kernel, but instead, it boots _immediately_, so I have no time to
make up my mind to choose a different kernel. What am I doing wrong?

This is a machine originally installed with 3.7, now running stock 3.8
on it's way to -stable.

TIA!

Best,
--Toni++

Re: boot.conf timeout ignored on amd64?

John Wright-6
On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 06:05:16PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> --------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------
> set timeout 30
> boot /bsd.mpr
> --------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------

The "boot" commands instructs it to boot there and then.

Re: boot.conf timeout ignored on amd64?

Stuart Henderson
On 2006/01/27 17:30, John Wright wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 06:05:16PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> > --------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------
> > set timeout 30
> > boot /bsd.mpr
> > --------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------
>
> The "boot" commands instructs it to boot there and then.

'set image' is probably what's wanted instead.

Re: boot.conf timeout ignored on amd64?

Tobias Weingartner-2
On Friday, January 27, Toni Mueller wrote:

> --------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------
> set timeout 30
> boot /bsd.mpr
> --------- /etc/boot.conf ---------------
>
> This should give me a 30 second pause before the machine boots the
> named kernel, but instead, it boots _immediately_, so I have no time to
> make up my mind to choose a different kernel. What am I doing wrong?

No, boot.conf is just as if you had typed the stuff on the command line.
When you say 'boot foo', the bootblocks go ahead, and boot foo.  No wait.
No sleep.

What you want is something like:

set timeout 30
set image /bsd.mpr