blade 100 boot after power failure?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

blade 100 boot after power failure?

Marco S Hyman
Is there a way to tell a blade 100 to power on and reboot after a power
failure?   I don't see anything obvious in the eeprom settings.

auto-boot?=true
boot-command=boot
diag-file=
diag-device=disk net
boot-file=
boot-device=disk net
...
mfg-mode=off
diag-level=max
diag-switch?=false
error-reset-recovery=boot

// marc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

Jack J. Woehr
Marco S Hyman wrote:

>Is there a way to tell a blade 100 to power on and reboot after a power
>failure?   I don't see anything obvious in the eeprom settings.
>  
>
Wish I could remember, I've been here before. What actually happens
for you on return from power failure? No poweron, or no boot?

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # "I never played fast and loose with the
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # Constitution. Never did and never will."
http://www.well.com/~jax      # - Harry S Truman

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

jacques brierre
In reply to this post by Marco S Hyman
The setting:
           auto-boot?=true
should do it. Does it 'try' at boot? I'm thinking maybe boot-device needs to
be specified...
something like:
           boot-device=disk0:a
or
           boot-device=disk0

don't know if'just 'disk' will do it...

-jacques.

On 12/31/05, Marco S Hyman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Is there a way to tell a blade 100 to power on and reboot after a power
> failure?   I don't see anything obvious in the eeprom settings.
>
> auto-boot?=true
> boot-command=boot
> diag-file=
> diag-device=disk net
> boot-file=
> boot-device=disk net
> ...
> mfg-mode=off
> diag-level=max
> diag-switch?=false
> error-reset-recovery=boot
>
> // marc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

Marco S Hyman
In reply to this post by Jack J. Woehr
 > >Is there a way to tell a blade 100 to power on and reboot after a power
 > >failure?   I don't see anything obvious in the eeprom settings.

 > Wish I could remember, I've been here before. What actually happens
 > for you on return from power failure? No poweron, or no boot?

No power-on.  The machine remained off after the UPS shut down due
to an extended loss of power until I pushed the power button.  The
other two machines on the UPS came back up just fine.

// marc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

jacques brierre
Marco,

Take a look at the "Blade auto poweron" settings at:
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/817-4603-11/JBOS_B
asic_Network.html

This might hold the key.
-jacques.



On 12/31/05, Marco S Hyman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > >Is there a way to tell a blade 100 to power on and reboot after a power
> > >failure?   I don't see anything obvious in the eeprom settings.
>
> > Wish I could remember, I've been here before. What actually happens
> > for you on return from power failure? No poweron, or no boot?
>
> No power-on.  The machine remained off after the UPS shut down due
> to an extended loss of power until I pushed the power button.  The
> other two machines on the UPS came back up just fine.
>
> // marc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

Jack J. Woehr
In reply to this post by jacques brierre
jacques brierre wrote:

>The setting:
>           auto-boot?=true
>should do it.
>
No, that means, "If powered up, boot instead of merely saying 'ok'."

I'm trying to remember what setting or trick makes a Sparc power itself
up automatically without a power-button push if it loses power without a
shutdown. Arggh .... it seems to me they do it by default unless you
have told 'em NOT to do so somehow. Change any OpenBoot settings
lately, Marcus?

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # "I never played fast and loose with the
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # Constitution. Never did and never will."
http://www.well.com/~jax      # - Harry S Truman

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

Marco S Hyman
 > I'm trying to remember what setting or trick makes a Sparc power itself
 > up automatically without a power-button push if it loses power without a
 > shutdown. Arggh .... it seems to me they do it by default unless you
 > have told 'em NOT to do so somehow. Change any OpenBoot settings
 > lately, Marcus?

I set this machine up as my web/mail server maybe 2 years ago and haven't
changed much since then.   Sunday night happened to be the first power
failure that lasted longer than the batteries in my UPS, e.g. the first
time the machine ever lost power without me doing a shutdown. Perhaps I
changed something 2 years ago... don't remember.

I'll have to schedule some server down time to play with this.

// marc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

Jack J. Woehr
Marco S Hyman wrote:

> > I'm trying to remember what setting or trick makes a Sparc power itself
> > up automatically without a power-button push if it loses power without a
> > shutdown.
>
You know, maybe we're both wrong. Maybe the Blade 100 does NOT
offer this functionality (thought I've seem my Ultra 10 turn itself back
on when power comes back).

The reason I think NOT for the Blade 100 is found at:

http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3416-10/appdC.htm#113573


          Sun Blade 100 Service Manual

    ...
    C.5.1 ....

    There are two conditions that will turn the system power on through
    the power on/off control circuitry on the Sun Blade 100 motherboard.

        * The system was originally turned off and the front panel power
          on/off button is pushed.
        * When the system was gracefully shutdown, and the alarm inside
          TOD M48T59 went off.

I.e, neither of those two conditions are "when the system was not
gracefully shutdown ...." etc.

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # "I never played fast and loose with the
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # Constitution. Never did and never will."
http://www.well.com/~jax      # - Harry S Truman

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: blade 100 boot after power failure?

Peter Andersson-3
Jack Woehr wrote:

> Marco S Hyman wrote:
>
>> > I'm trying to remember what setting or trick makes a Sparc power itself
>> > up automatically without a power-button push if it loses power
>> without a
>> > shutdown.
>
> You know, maybe we're both wrong. Maybe the Blade 100 does NOT
> offer this functionality (thought I've seem my Ultra 10 turn itself back
> on when power comes back).
>
> The reason I think NOT for the Blade 100 is found at:
>
> http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3416-10/appdC.htm#113573
>
>
>          Sun Blade 100 Service Manual
>
>    ...
>    C.5.1 ....
>
>    There are two conditions that will turn the system power on through
>    the power on/off control circuitry on the Sun Blade 100 motherboard.
>
>        * The system was originally turned off and the front panel power
>          on/off button is pushed.
>        * When the system was gracefully shutdown, and the alarm inside
>          TOD M48T59 went off.
>
> I.e, neither of those two conditions are "when the system was not
> gracefully shutdown ...." etc.
>
I have come to the same conclusion after talking to a former Sun
employee. He told me that they had to run around at their training
center and manually power on all Blade 100 after power failures (which
where real annoying).

I'm planning to build a HW device that "pushes" the power button when
power comes back.

Regards
Peter Andersson