bios support for console redirection to the serial port

bios support for console redirection to the serial port

Kevin Ford
Hi Folks-

Following up on the 1U server conversation in July/August, I'd like to
hear some recommendations on *tower-type* server-boxes and
server-motherboards that have support for redirection of textual VGA
output to the serial port.

I'm in the market for a *tower-type* server box (or m/b to put in a
tower) on which to run OBSD and a very important criteria for me is this
one.  I'd also like at least two cpu sockets and more PCI slots than
average but that's easy to find out before buying.  After googling for
hours, I'm finding that this (redirection of textual VGA output to the
serial port) is a little-advertised characteristic in server boards and
boxes.

Can I get some ideas on such hardware?  I have one such box in a Dell
PowerEdge 1600SC, but I don't like Dell's little proprietary changes in
plugs and other little things that basically lock me in to using Dell
hard drives and add-ons rather than something more standardized.

I've read that Supermicro products are all standard hardware components
that do not lock you in to using Supermicro hardware for upgrades.  Is
that generally agreed upon in here?

But my problem in searching/browsing the Supermicro hardware is that I
don't see anything telling me whether or not the box/board has support
for redirection of textual VGA output to the serial port.

Thanks for any replies.

-Kevin

Re: bios support for console redirection to the serial port

Stephan Tesch
Am Sonntag, 27. November 2005 00:47 schrieben Sie:

Hi Kevin,

> I'm in the market for a *tower-type* server box (or m/b to put in a
> tower) on which to run OBSD and a very important criteria for me is this
> one.  I'd also like at least two cpu sockets and more PCI slots than
> average but that's easy to find out before buying.  After googling for
> hours, I'm finding that this (redirection of textual VGA output to the
> serial port) is a little-advertised characteristic in server boards and
> boxes.

I'm using the (somewhat old) Tyan Tiger MP board which has a very nice console
redirection, that also works with OpenBSD (handover to console redirection on
the same port works).

Regards,
Stephan

Re: bios support for console redirection to the serial port

Lars Hansson
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:47:22 -0500
Kevin Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've read that Supermicro products are all standard hardware components
> that do not lock you in to using Supermicro hardware for upgrades.  Is
> that generally agreed upon in here?

I'm very happy with our Supermicro's so far and as opposed to Dell the
serial console actually work properly.

> But my problem in searching/browsing the Supermicro hardware is that I
> don't see anything telling me whether or not the box/board has support
> for redirection of textual VGA output to the serial port.

Try downloading the BIOS manual for your desired box and/or mobo.

---
Lars Hansson