Quantcast

beagleboneblack(BBB) beginner's qustion

Tuyosi Takesima
hi all .

as BBB beginner i have 3 questions

1) which  miniroot-am335x  virsion is easy ?
   6.0 , 5.9 , 5.8 or snapshots

2) how long time do i need pushing switch S2 ?
   3 seconds , 10 seconds or more

3) which /dev is good with ' USB to UART TTL connecter ' ?
   i think 'cu -l cua00 -s 115200 ' is not good .

-----
regards

Re: beagleboneblack(BBB) beginner's qustion

Simon Fryer-2
Hi,

1) Read the FAQ for the definition of stable, snapshots and development. In
short, I am running 5.9.

2) My BBB (a Element 14 / Farnell version) seems to boot happily from the
mmc card without prompting so I can't provide definite advice here.
Personally, I would be holding the button down until I saw the BBB boot
from the MMC card.

3) I use kermit (in ports). I have a physical serial port but /dev/U0 would
be my guess.
set port /dev/ttyU0
set speed 115200
set carrier-watch off
set flow-control none

Good luck.

Simon.

--
Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh

Re: beagleboneblack(BBB) beginner's qustion

Jonathan Gray-11
On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 08:08:02PM +1000, Simon Fryer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) Read the FAQ for the definition of stable, snapshots and development. In
> short, I am running 5.9.
>
> 2) My BBB (a Element 14 / Farnell version) seems to boot happily from the
> mmc card without prompting so I can't provide definite advice here.
> Personally, I would be holding the button down until I saw the BBB boot
> from the MMC card.
>
> 3) I use kermit (in ports). I have a physical serial port but /dev/U0 would
> be my guess.
> set port /dev/ttyU0
> set speed 115200
> set carrier-watch off
> set flow-control none
>
> Good luck.

No need for ports just use cu(1)

cu -l cuaU0 -s 115200

> Simon.
>
> On 2 September 2016 at 19:16, Tuyosi T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > hi all .
> >
> > as BBB beginner i have 3 questions
> >
> > 1) which  miniroot-am335x  virsion is easy ?
> >    6.0 , 5.9 , 5.8 or snapshots
> >
> > 2) how long time do i need pushing switch S2 ?
> >    3 seconds , 10 seconds or more
> >
> > 3) which /dev is good with ' USB to UART TTL connecter ' ?
> >    i think 'cu -l cua00 -s 115200 ' is not good .
> >
> > -----
> > regards
> >

> --
> Simon

> "Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
> philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
> the utility of the final product."
> Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh

Re: beagleboneblack(BBB) beginner's qustion

Tuyosi Takesima
my chipset is cp2102 .
so i may fail .

i need to have PL2303 chipst's one.

Re: beagleboneblack(BBB) beginner's qustion

Eike Lantzsch
On Samstag, 3. September 2016 03:28:44 PYT Tuyosi T wrote:
> my chipset is cp2102 .
> so i may fail .
>
> i need to have PL2303 chipst's one.

My experience with PL2303 chips were suboptimal. I'm using USB-RS232 adaptors
with FT232 FTDI chips now. Works fine with OpenBSD, MAC OSX and with Linux.

Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE

Re: beagleboneblack(BBB) beginner's qustion

Tuyosi Takesima
i will buy FT232 FTDI chips .

by the way  the correct step is

1) connect 5V
2) while pushing S2 button , do i swith on S3 power button ?
-----
regards