bandwidth monitoring

mediomen27
Hi,
how can I monitor the bandwidth and know what client is occupying the
bandwidth ?
Thank u.

Re: bandwidth monitoring

thrph.info@gmail.com
http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/iftop/

[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Re: bandwidth monitoring

Martijn van Duren-6
On 03/07/17 12:08, [hidden email] wrote:
> http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/iftop/

systat(1) states

> On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:28:50 +0100
> Frank White <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> how can I monitor the bandwidth and know what client is occupying the
>> bandwidth ?
>> Thank u.

Re: bandwidth monitoring

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 11:28:50AM +0100, Frank White wrote:
> how can I monitor the bandwidth and know what client is occupying the
> bandwidth ?

There are quite a number of options available, depending on whether you're mainly
interested in a 'live' view or collecting data over time.

For live views I see you've got several answers already, and of course
systat offers several views that may fit the bill.

You could also instrument your rule set with labels and use pfctl to extract
data, or you could even use pflow(4) and the netflow collector of your choice.

I've written a few related articles, but the one that has possibly the more
useful info is this one: http://bsdly.blogspot.no/2014/02/yes-you-too-can-be-evil-network.html

Also, Michael Lucas' book (referenced in the article) is worth buying and
digesting if you're at all interested in the subject (this is true about most
of Michael's books, btw)

Re: bandwidth monitoring

Mihai Popescu-3
> know what client is occupying the bandwidth

trafshow from ports.

Is systat able to show kb/s realtime?