autri(4) disabled by default

Peter Kay-5
I see autri(4) is disabled by default in an amd64 kernel, probably
others too, and has been for a very long time.

I can't see any notice of why this is so, anyone know?

My secondary system has a Trident 4DWave in it (yes, it's an old
soundcard. I grabbed it off ebay to work with Arca Noae, as it's not
so keen on a Soundblaster Live, and the motherboard is a server one
without any audio built in)

PK

Re: autri(4) disabled by default

Janne Johansson-3
Den tis 31 juli 2018 kl 12:47 skrev Peter Kay <[hidden email]>:

> I see autri(4) is disabled by default in an amd64 kernel, probably
> others too, and has been for a very long time.
>
> I can't see any notice of why this is so, anyone know?

Seems like it came over with the initial amd64 port from i386, and noone
tested it on amd64, so it never got enabled but remained commented out.

Re: autri(4) disabled by default

Alexandre Ratchov-2
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 11:43:37AM +0100, Peter Kay wrote:

> I see autri(4) is disabled by default in an amd64 kernel, probably
> others too, and has been for a very long time.
>
> I can't see any notice of why this is so, anyone know?
>
> My secondary system has a Trident 4DWave in it (yes, it's an old
> soundcard. I grabbed it off ebay to work with Arca Noae, as it's not
> so keen on a Soundblaster Live, and the motherboard is a server one
> without any audio built in)

It could probably be enabled by default (like most of the pci audio
interfaces). When you enable it, does it work?

Re: autri(4) disabled by default

Christian Weisgerber
On 2018-07-31, Janne Johansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I see autri(4) is disabled by default in an amd64 kernel, probably
>> others too, and has been for a very long time.
>
> Seems like it came over with the initial amd64 port from i386, and noone
> tested it on amd64, so it never got enabled but remained commented out.

It worked on sparc64, where it is enabled by default, back when I
still had a Blade 100.

On 31 July 2018 at 14:22, Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-07-31, Janne Johansson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> I see autri(4) is disabled by default in an amd64 kernel, probably
>>> others too, and has been for a very long time.
>>
>> Seems like it came over with the initial amd64 port from i386, and noone
>> tested it on amd64, so it never got enabled but remained commented out.
>
> It worked on sparc64, where it is enabled by default, back when I
> still had a Blade 100.

I can confirm it does work fine! Checked some Chrome and mplayer, no
worries with audio. Not sure about MIDI, nothing comes out of the
sound card but not too fussed about that.

autri0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Trident 4DWAVE NX" rev 0x02: apic 5 int 16
audio0 at autri0
midi0 at autri0: <4DWAVE MIDI UART>

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 05:51:06PM +0100, Peter Kay wrote:

> >> Seems like it came over with the initial amd64 port from i386, and noone
> >> tested it on amd64, so it never got enabled but remained commented out.
> >
> > It worked on sparc64, where it is enabled by default, back when I
> > still had a Blade 100.
>
> I can confirm it does work fine! Checked some Chrome and mplayer, no
> worries with audio. Not sure about MIDI, nothing comes out of the
> sound card but not too fussed about that.

thanks for the confirmation.

the midi(4) device is a simple serial port on the card used to connect
midi gears (synthesizers, keyboards alike). So no sound is expected to
come from the sound card when midi is used.