ath0 or rtw0 will not connect to wireless network.

ath0 or rtw0 will not connect to wireless network.

Joshua Kampmeier
I have 2 wireless cards, Linksys WPC55AG (atheros) and D-Link DWL-650
rev.M(Realtek 8180). Both cards work fine, I can connect to my home
network under
FreeBSD, Arch Linux and Gentoo Linux with both cards. Atheros natively under
FreeBSD and Realtek using ndis because FreeBSD doesn't have native drivers
for the realtek.

I have asked in the IRC channel, and read man pages, tried many things which
seem to work for others, to no avail. Normally I just use dhcp.

Example using ath0:

ifconfig ath0 nwid linksys_SES
dhclient ath0

The above works fine under FreeBSD, I can't figure out why it doesn't work
here. I have also tried specifying static IP on the cards, which also
doesn't connect, trying to ping my wireless router, set as the default
gateway (192.168.1.1) just returns Host is down.

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the pages I have found which haven't helped my problem:
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive2/misc/200504/msg00226.html
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive2/misc/200503/msg00439.html

Thanks

Re: ath0 or rtw0 will not connect to wireless network.

Joshua Kampmeier
Thanks Obi, I will try it again when I get home tonight. I don't use WEP on
my network either, for the same reasons.

On 1/30/06, Obi Okeke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
> I don't know if this will help, but here is what I do
> to connect to my linksys wireless B router using my
> linksys wireless b pcmcia card (model wpc11 ver. 4).
> I created a file /etc/hostname/rtw0 and I put in there
> a static ip and the ntwk id and the channel like so:
> inet 192.168.1.XYZ 255.255.255.0 NONE nwid WHATEVER123
> chan 6
>
> I also have a D-Link DWL-650 pcmcia and configure it
> the same way.
>
> Also, my wireless b router has no security set on it
> since I am in a remote area, use ssh encrypted network
> traffic and cut the power off after I (rarely) use it.
>
> Hope this helps.
> - Obi
>
> --- Joshua Kampmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have 2 wireless cards, Linksys WPC55AG (atheros)
> > and D-Link DWL-650
> > rev.M(Realtek 8180). Both cards work fine, I can
> > connect to my home
> > network under
> > FreeBSD, Arch Linux and Gentoo Linux with both
> > cards. Atheros natively under
> > FreeBSD and Realtek using ndis because FreeBSD
> > doesn't have native drivers
> > for the realtek.
> >
> > I have asked in the IRC channel, and read man pages,
> > tried many things which
> > seem to work for others, to no avail. Normally I
> > just use dhcp.
> >
> > Example using ath0:
> >
> > ifconfig ath0 nwid linksys_SES
> > dhclient ath0
> >
> > The above works fine under FreeBSD, I can't figure
> > out why it doesn't work
> > here. I have also tried specifying static IP on the
> > cards, which also
> > doesn't connect, trying to ping my wireless router,
> > set as the default
> > gateway (192.168.1.1) just returns Host is down.
> >
> > Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Some of the pages I have found which haven't helped
> > my problem:
> >
> http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive2/misc/200504/msg00226.html
> >
> http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive2/misc/200503/msg00439.html
> >
> > Thanks
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: ath0 or rtw0 will not connect to wireless network.

Joshua Kampmeier
UPDATE:  I was still unable to get the card to connect to my network. I'm
going to try to get the latest cvs from -current and rebuild to see if that
makes a difference. (Anyone know if there are any wireless framework changes
between 3.8 and current?) I will also try to play around with the settings
on my router....hopefully I can get somewhere with this...

Thanks again.