armv7 on Asus Chromebook C100P

ian@
Has anybody installed OpenBSD on these chromebooks? Asus sold a lot of
them, and they are losing Google's support next month so there should
be a lot available cheaply if you just want something to travel with
for email/web/chat.

Re: armv7 on Asus Chromebook C100P

Ottavio Caruso
On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 18:29, Ian Darwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anybody installed OpenBSD on these chromebooks? Asus sold a lot of
> them, and they are losing Google's support next month so there should
> be a lot available cheaply if you just want something to travel with
> for email/web/chat.

It will most likely not work because:
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/rockchip/asus-chromebook-flip-c100p

The hardware is locked so that you can only boot the Chrome kernel
(unless somebody knows a workaround). Even a Linux distro will be a
problem, because the userspace will have to be compatible with the
kernel.

Back in 2012, I struggled to install Slackware ARM on a similar
Chromebook and then I gave up (there might be traces of it on the
Slackware-arm mailing list archives).

--
Ottavio Caruso