arm/4944: zaurus backlight stays off after resume after zzz

arm/4944: zaurus backlight stays off after resume after zzz

Stuart Henderson-2
>Number:         4944
>Category:       arm
>Synopsis:       zaurus backlight stays off after resume
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

        System      : OpenBSD 3.8
        Architecture: OpenBSD.arm
        Machine     : zaurus

Resuming my C3100 after suspending with zzz, sometimes the backlight
stays off. I've now tracked this down to closing the screen before
suspending is complete.

Suspending with the power button happens more quickly and I haven't
triggered the problem that way.

wscontrol reports the backlight as being `on' while this happens.
wscontrol cannot turn the backlight back on.

>How-To-Repeat:

$ zzz
quickly close screen
while suspended, open screen
resume

>Fix:

Work around: I used to reboot, but I was a lot happier when I found
that closing and re-opening the screen turns the backlight back on.
I'm not too bothered by it any more, but thought I'd document now
I can repeat the problem on-demand.

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

Re: arm/4944: zaurus backlight stays off after resume after zzz

ober-4
Any way to get it to sleep by closing lid?
That would be handy imho, then I would not need to explicitly have to put
it to sleep.

-Ober

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>> Number:         4944
>> Category:       arm
>> Synopsis:       zaurus backlight stays off after resume
>> Confidential:   yes
>> Severity:       non-critical
>> Environment:
>
> System      : OpenBSD 3.8
> Architecture: OpenBSD.arm
> Machine     : zaurus
>
> Resuming my C3100 after suspending with zzz, sometimes the backlight
> stays off. I've now tracked this down to closing the screen before
> suspending is complete.
>
> Suspending with the power button happens more quickly and I haven't
> triggered the problem that way.
>
> wscontrol reports the backlight as being `on' while this happens.
> wscontrol cannot turn the backlight back on.
>
>> How-To-Repeat:
>
> $ zzz
> quickly close screen
> while suspended, open screen
> resume
>
>> Fix:
>
> Work around: I used to reboot, but I was a lot happier when I found
> that closing and re-opening the screen turns the backlight back on.
> I'm not too bothered by it any more, but thought I'd document now
> I can repeat the problem on-demand.
>

>> Release-Note:
>> Audit-Trail:
>> Unformatted:

Re: arm/4944: zaurus backlight stays off after resume after zzz

ober-4
The following reply was made to PR arm/4944; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: ober <[hidden email]>
To: Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email], GNATS Filer <[hidden email]>,
        [hidden email]
Subject: Re: arm/4944: zaurus backlight stays off after resume after zzz
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:43:20 -0600 (CST)

--On 18 December 2005 12:43 -0600, ober wrote:
> Any way to get it to sleep by closing lid?
> That would be handy imho, then I would not need to explicitly have to
> put it to sleep.

/sys/arch/zaurus/dev/zaurus_kbd.c says the hinge has a pair of GPIOs.
looking at the hinge design you can see how it works: two
microswitches, one easily visible, one visible if you look further back
with the screen nearly closed, triggered by the metal bulges on the
hinge. one is on the shiny metal next to embossed 'Sharp' logo, the
other is just above on the screen half when it's turned to 'laptop
mode' (there's no corresponding bulge on the back for 'pda mode'). none
pressed: open. one pressed: 'pda mode'. both pressed: closed. a simple
and effective design.

The power button is also GPIO (as is the whole keyboard - no convenient
keyboard controller on this machine!). Looking at zkbd_on and
zkbd_hinge, it doesn't look like a lot of work to hack together
suspend-on-hinge-closed if you're so inclined, but if you want to
finish the job you'll want a knob in wsconsctl too.

Re: arm/4944: zaurus backlight stays off after resume after zzz

ober-4
Ok thanks for the info.
I will hopefully have something by the end of the week.