apu1d as an NTP server

Gene-46
Howdy,

Has anyone here used the PC Engines apu1d system board as an NTP server?

I'm looking at setting up some in house stratum-2 servers so I can be a
better neighbor.  Wondering what kind of performance/capacity others have
seen with this board.

Thanks for your time.

-Gene

Re: apu1d as an NTP server

Brian Conway
How large is your network?

Brian Conway

On Oct 23, 2015 5:42 PM, "Gene" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Has anyone here used the PC Engines apu1d system board as an NTP server?
>
> I'm looking at setting up some in house stratum-2 servers so I can be a
> better neighbor.  Wondering what kind of performance/capacity others have
> seen with this board.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> -Gene

Re: apu1d as an NTP server

Peter Hessler
works perfectly fine as an ntp server.  you won't see any problems.

On 2015 Oct 23 (Fri) at 15:39:26 -0700 (-0700), Gene wrote:
:Howdy,
:

--
"I'd love to go out with you, but I've been scheduled for a karma
transplant."

Re: apu1d as an NTP server

Sebastian Benoit
Gene([hidden email]) on 2015.10.23 15:39:26 -0700:
> Howdy,
>
> Has anyone here used the PC Engines apu1d system board as an NTP server?

yes

> I'm looking at setting up some in house stratum-2 servers so I can be a
> better neighbor.  Wondering what kind of performance/capacity others have
> seen with this board.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> -Gene

Re: apu1d as an NTP server

Gene-46
On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Brian Conway <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How large is your network?

I have ~500 systems/devices that would be pointed at them, would increase
10-20% yearly.

I imagine the CPU on the APU is more than capable of handling 10x as much
and more.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 3:18 AM, Peter Hessler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> works perfectly fine as an ntp server.  you won't see any problems.

Thank you. I've read that some hardware just doesn't work well for NTP, so
it's good to hear that.

> On Oct 23, 2015 5:42 PM, "Gene" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Has anyone here used the PC Engines apu1d system board as an NTP server?
>>
>> I'm looking at setting up some in house stratum-2 (edit: or stratum-3)
>> servers so I can be a
>> better neighbor.  Wondering what kind of performance/capacity others have
>> seen with this board.
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>>
>> -Gene

Re: apu1d as an NTP server

Aviolat Romain
We have a NTP server (OpenNTPd) running on the pervious board (alix2d3) which
is way less powerful (256MB RAM, 500MHz CPU) and OpenBSD for our infra (100
servers).

It's perfectly fine in term of load and reliability.

Romain