app layer proxy

Steffen Wendzel
I just started thinking about an application layer proxy (at least
for HTTP and SMTP) that can filter commands and can act as (HTTP)
reverse proxy. I just want to make sure that the developers are
not already working on such a project.

Is there any chance to bring it into the src after finishing?
Is somebody interested in helping me? (e.g. sending some possibly
features || helping to programm such a big project).

regards
steffen

--
cdp.doomed-reality.org

Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt.
                                                  -- Einstein

Re: app layer proxy

Joachim Schipper
On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 05:03:17PM +0000, Steffen Wendzel wrote:
> I just started thinking about an application layer proxy (at least
> for HTTP and SMTP) that can filter commands and can act as (HTTP)
> reverse proxy. I just want to make sure that the developers are
> not already working on such a project.
>
> Is there any chance to bring it into the src after finishing?
> Is somebody interested in helping me? (e.g. sending some possibly
> features || helping to programm such a big project).

This is quite vague. Anyway, Apache+mod_proxy already proxies http and
any SMTP server is also an SMTP proxy (store-and-forward), so Sendmail
proxies smtp. And has a lot of filter options.

ISTR that mod_security works with mod_proxy, too; if this is indeed the
case, your filter is right there.

                Joachim