apc-upsd

Adam Borbely
hi!

the /usr/ports/sysutils/apc-upsd is dated as 19991128 which is a bit old.

the http://www.apcupsd.org/ is activly developed. the lastest release was
on 20100116. (with GPLv2 license)

I am using it without any problems at home with my APC Back-UPS RS550
which is connecting to the machine with a USB cable. any other machine can
receive the status info through the network so only one machine needs a
direct link.

should we have a port from it? i'd be happy to work on it.

what do you think?

Re: apc-upsd

Robert Nagy
Go ahead.

On (2010-05-16 11:43), Adam Borbely wrote:

> hi!
>
> the /usr/ports/sysutils/apc-upsd is dated as 19991128 which is a bit old.
>
> the http://www.apcupsd.org/ is activly developed. the lastest release was
> on 20100116. (with GPLv2 license)
>
> I am using it without any problems at home with my APC Back-UPS RS550
> which is connecting to the machine with a USB cable. any other machine can
> receive the status info through the network so only one machine needs a
> direct link.
>
> should we have a port from it? i'd be happy to work on it.
>
> what do you think?

Re: apc-upsd

On 2010/05/16 11:43, Adam Borbely wrote:

> hi!
>
> the /usr/ports/sysutils/apc-upsd is dated as 19991128 which is a bit old.
>
> the http://www.apcupsd.org/ is activly developed. the lastest release was
> on 20100116. (with GPLv2 license)
>
> I am using it without any problems at home with my APC Back-UPS RS550
> which is connecting to the machine with a USB cable. any other machine can
> receive the status info through the network so only one machine needs a
> direct link.
>
> should we have a port from it? i'd be happy to work on it.
>
> what do you think?

now we have quirks we can handle the transition more nicely, so I think
Kirill's port of this (see the list archives) could go in, I think I had
some changes for it which I'll try and dig out.

Re: apc-upsd

Kirill Bychkov-2
On Sun, May 16, 2010 15:18, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2010/05/16 11:43, Adam Borbely wrote:
>> hi!
>>
>> the /usr/ports/sysutils/apc-upsd is dated as 19991128 which is a bit old.
>>
>> the http://www.apcupsd.org/ is activly developed. the lastest release was
>> on 20100116. (with GPLv2 license)
>>
>> I am using it without any problems at home with my APC Back-UPS RS550
>> which is connecting to the machine with a USB cable. any other machine can
>> receive the status info through the network so only one machine needs a
>> direct link.
>>
>> should we have a port from it? i'd be happy to work on it.
>>
>> what do you think?
>>

> now we have quirks we can handle the transition more nicely, so I think
> Kirill's port of this (see the list archives) could go in, I think I had
> some changes for it which I'll try and dig out.

Hi. Give this another try.

http://cvs.linklevel.net/index.cgi/ports/sysutils/apcupsd/apcupsd.tar.gz?tarball=1

Re: apc-upsd

Stuart Henderson
On 2010/05/16 16:47, Kirill Bychkov wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 15:18, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2010/05/16 11:43, Adam Borbely wrote:
> >> hi!
> >>
> >> the /usr/ports/sysutils/apc-upsd is dated as 19991128 which is a bit old.
> >>
> >> the http://www.apcupsd.org/ is activly developed. the lastest release was
> >> on 20100116. (with GPLv2 license)
> >>
> >> I am using it without any problems at home with my APC Back-UPS RS550
> >> which is connecting to the machine with a USB cable. any other machine can
> >> receive the status info through the network so only one machine needs a
> >> direct link.
> >>
> >> should we have a port from it? i'd be happy to work on it.
> >>
> >> what do you think?
> >>

> > now we have quirks we can handle the transition more nicely, so I think
> > Kirill's port of this (see the list archives) could go in, I think I had
> > some changes for it which I'll try and dig out.
> >

> Hi. Give this another try.
>
> http://cvs.linklevel.net/index.cgi/ports/sysutils/apcupsd/apcupsd.tar.gz?tarball=1
I've simplified things a bit; some of your patches can be replaced
by tweaking variables in the Makefile. How does this look to you?

apcupsd.tgz (6K) Download Attachment

Re: apc-upsd

Kirill Bychkov-2
On Sun, May 16, 2010 18:45, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2010/05/16 16:47, Kirill Bychkov wrote:

>> can

>> > now we have quirks we can handle the transition more nicely, so I think
>> > Kirill's port of this (see the list archives) could go in, I think I had
>> > some changes for it which I'll try and dig out.
>> >

>> Hi. Give this another try.
>>
>> http://cvs.linklevel.net/index.cgi/ports/sysutils/apcupsd/apcupsd.tar.gz?tarball=1
>
> I've simplified things a bit; some of your patches can be replaced
> by tweaking variables in the Makefile. How does this look to you?

Hi. Looks good for me. As I can see, you've used some old port as a base. So,
before commit, please change my name to Kirill Bychkov (without "S.").
I wonder, is it still actual information in platforms/openbsd/README? It was
written 6 years ago.
And an old question: should it be apcupsd or apc-upsd?

Re: apc-upsd

Stuart Henderson
Hi Kirill,

On 2010/05/17 13:10, Kirill Bychkov wrote:
> Hi. Looks good for me. As I can see, you've used some old port as a base. So,
> before commit, please change my name to Kirill Bychkov (without "S.").
> I wonder, is it still actual information in platforms/openbsd/README? It was
> written 6 years ago.

The APC UPS I have here is on a server that I can't play around with too
much, so I can't test the shutdown procedure, but I don't remember any
change to the OS which would affect the shutdown sequence. So I think
this is still current information:

   During the OpenBSD shutdown sequence, however, the second "one shot" call
   to apcupsd will fail because after the shutdown sequence has started, the
   serial port cannot be reopened.

I noticed one thing which needs changing; the README file refers
to /etc/rc.apcups, this needs changing for apcupsctl.
I think I would just patch the README in pre-configure with
perl -pi -e 's,/etc/rc.apcups,${PREFIX}/sbin/apcupsctl,' ${WRKSRC}/....

If you have time to send an updated tar with this change,
I think this can probably go in - if you don't have time at the
moment I'll try and pick it up in a couple of days.

> And an old question: should it be apcupsd or apc-upsd?

Now that we have ports/devel/quirks, I think apcupsd is ok. We can
add a quirk so that users of the old apc-upsd can have the new package
installed. We also need to mention the change in www/faq/current.html.
If you can send diffs for those too, it would be helpful.

Re: apc-upsd

Kirill Bychkov-2
On Mon, May 17, 2010 13:39, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> Hi Kirill,
>
> On 2010/05/17 13:10, Kirill Bychkov wrote:
>> Hi. Looks good for me. As I can see, you've used some old port as a base.
>> So,
>> before commit, please change my name to Kirill Bychkov (without "S.").
>> I wonder, is it still actual information in platforms/openbsd/README? It was
>> written 6 years ago.
>
> The APC UPS I have here is on a server that I can't play around with too
> much, so I can't test the shutdown procedure, but I don't remember any
> change to the OS which would affect the shutdown sequence. So I think
> this is still current information:
>
>    During the OpenBSD shutdown sequence, however, the second "one shot" call
>    to apcupsd will fail because after the shutdown sequence has started, the
>    serial port cannot be reopened.
>
> I noticed one thing which needs changing; the README file refers
> to /etc/rc.apcups, this needs changing for apcupsctl.
> I think I would just patch the README in pre-configure with
> perl -pi -e 's,/etc/rc.apcups,${PREFIX}/sbin/apcupsctl,' ${WRKSRC}/....
>
> If you have time to send an updated tar with this change,
> I think this can probably go in - if you don't have time at the
> moment I'll try and pick it up in a couple of days.
>
>> And an old question: should it be apcupsd or apc-upsd?
>
> Now that we have ports/devel/quirks, I think apcupsd is ok. We can
> add a quirk so that users of the old apc-upsd can have the new package
> installed. We also need to mention the change in www/faq/current.html.
> If you can send diffs for those too, it would be helpful.

Attached is a port with mentioned clean-ups, @conflict marker and some new
perl dance for manuals. Also attached devel/quirks patch.
OK's?
P.S. I'll try to compose diff for current.html later.

apcupsd.tar.gz (6K) Download Attachment
quirks.diff (1K) Download Attachment