anyone use these for firewall?

Chris Smith-32
Ran across these Supermicro boxes:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm
and
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm?typ=E

Wanted the Soekris 6501 but it is delayed (now listed as Q4 2010).

Chipsets listed for the Supermicro boxes are:
Intel ICH9R
Intel 82574L

Neither of which are listed as supported by 4.7, does -current
possibly support these?

Can't quite understand the use of a Matrox video device but for CLI
work it shouldn't be a problem (famous last words).

Thanks for any input on these or other suggestions for quick (new Atom
or better) low power network appliance type gear for keeping
-current..

Chris

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Rogier Krieger
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 17:58, Chris Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ran across these Supermicro boxes:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm

If I'm not mistaken it's a system that turned up on the list earlier,
including 4.7 dmesg.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=127078571618143&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=127050936423288&w=2

Regards,

Rogier

If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Lars Nooden-2
Chris Smith wrote:
> Thanks for any input on these or other suggestions for quick (new Atom
> or better) low power network appliance type gear for keeping
> -current..

Finding out if -current runs on the RB450G, RB493, or RB493AH has made it
onto my todo list, but not near the top.  They meet that 'or better' part
but are not named in the list of supported hardware platforms.

  http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist.php

/Lars

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

LeviaComm Networks NOC
On 6/15/2010 9:41 AM, Lars Nooden wrote:

> Chris Smith wrote:
>> Thanks for any input on these or other suggestions for quick (new Atom
>> or better) low power network appliance type gear for keeping
>> -current..
>
> Finding out if -current runs on the RB450G, RB493, or RB493AH has made
> it onto my todo list, but not near the top. They meet that 'or better'
> part but are not named in the list of supported hardware platforms.
>
> http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist.php
>
> /Lars

Can we create some sort WIKI for this kind of thing?  Have it set up so
that each system and component has its own page.  Each page for a system
could list its components and its level of support, and possibly its
dmesg form a clean install.  This would also provide a sort of TODO list
for people interested in driver development.  It would also cut down on
this kind of question severely.

-Christopher

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Daniel Ouellet
On 6/15/10 11:58 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
> Neither of which are listed as supported by 4.7, does -current
> possibly support these?

It they worked and the dmesg is in the archive as well.

Best,

Daniel

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Daniel Ouellet
On 6/15/10 11:58 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
> Ran across these Supermicro boxes:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm
> and
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm?typ=E

dmesg in the archive and yes they work very well. Even very nice remote
maintenance capability too.

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM, LeviaComm Networks NOC
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/15/2010 9:41 AM, Lars Nooden wrote:
>>
>> Chris Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for any input on these or other suggestions for quick (new Atom
>>> or better) low power network appliance type gear for keeping
>>> -current..
>>
>> Finding out if -current runs on the RB450G, RB493, or RB493AH has made
>> it onto my todo list, but not near the top. They meet that 'or better'
>> part but are not named in the list of supported hardware platforms.
>>
>> http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist.php
>>
>> /Lars
>>

> Can we create some sort WIKI for this kind of thing? B Have it set up so
that
> each system and component has its own page. B Each page for a system could
> list its components and its level of support, and possibly its dmesg form a
> clean install. B This would also provide a sort of TODO list for people
> interested in driver development. B It would also cut down on this kind of
> question severely.

However it will not cut. Because there will be plenty of users and
people which even don't read FAQ or man, not even some form of WiKi.

> -Christopher

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Marc Espie-2
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:01:52PM -0700, LeviaComm Networks NOC wrote:

> On 6/15/2010 9:41 AM, Lars Nooden wrote:
> >Chris Smith wrote:
> >>Thanks for any input on these or other suggestions for quick (new Atom
> >>or better) low power network appliance type gear for keeping
> >>-current..
> >
> >Finding out if -current runs on the RB450G, RB493, or RB493AH has made
> >it onto my todo list, but not near the top. They meet that 'or better'
> >part but are not named in the list of supported hardware platforms.
> >
> >http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist.php
> >
> >/Lars
> >

> Can we create some sort WIKI for this kind of thing?  Have it set up
> so that each system and component has its own page.  Each page for a
> system could list its components and its level of support, and
> possibly its dmesg form a clean install.  This would also provide a
> sort of TODO list for people interested in driver development.  It
> would also cut down on this kind of question severely.

You know pal, it's a free world. You can do whatever shit you want
in your corner of the world.

Heck, if it's interesting, it might even be used by other people.

On 6/15/2010 1:19 PM, Tomas Bodzar wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM, LeviaComm Networks NOC
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Finding out if -current runs on the RB450G, RB493, or RB493AH has made
>>> it onto my todo list, but not near the top. They meet that 'or better'
>>> part but are not named in the list of supported hardware platforms.
>>>
>>> http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist.php
>>>
>>> /Lars
>>>

>> Can we create some sort WIKI for this kind of thing?  Have it set up so that
>> each system and component has its own page.  Each page for a system could
>> list its components and its level of support, and possibly its dmesg form a
>> clean install.  This would also provide a sort of TODO list for people
>> interested in driver development.  It would also cut down on this kind of
>> question severely.
>>

> However it will not cut. Because there will be plenty of users and
> people which even don't read FAQ or man, not even some form of WiKi.

I know people don't read documents or FAQs, but at least we can say,
Look here, rather than waste several e-mails in response.

It looks like the ability to create Wikis on Wikia is down for the
moment.  As soon as it comes back up, I will start on making the Wiki.

In the mean time, if anyone can send me dmesgs detailing the hardware
they are form, I can start setting some of it up.

-Christopher

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Lars Nooden-2
LeviaComm Networks NOC wrote:
> In the mean time, if anyone can send me dmesgs detailing the hardware
> they are form, I can start setting some of it up.

Mark Kettenis and Dariusz have a port on the RB600A:

http://old.nabble.com/RouterBOARD-RB600A-support-td27828265.html

/Lars

Re: anyone use these for firewall?

Martin Schröder
2010/6/16 Lars Nooden <[hidden email]>:
> Mark Kettenis and Dariusz have a port on the RB600A:

Which has been discontinued. :-(

Best
   Martin