anoncvs prompts for password

ea4nz
Hello OpenBSD friends.

I have been googling around and I am not able to solve this problem.
I am going to tell you the exact procedure for you to tell me whether
I am doing something wrong.

My system was OpenBSD 3.8-stable. I cvs checkout'ed src, ports, XF4 and www
from [hidden email]:/cvs, but using my Debian GNU/Linux
at University, where we have a very high speed Internet connection.
I tar'ed and gzip'ed the sources in four different *tar.gz files. I saved
them in an CDROM and went home...

I arrived home, and unpacked them into /usr/, compiled the kernel, the
userland and XF4 with success.

Two days later, I wanted to "cvs up" the souce from my OpenBSD box, and
was stuck at the cvs prompt, when It asks me for a password:
Script started on Sun Jan 15 11:20:34 2006
# cd /usr
# export CVSROOT="[hidden email]:/cvs"
# cvs up -Pd
[hidden email]'s password:
Permission denied, please try again.
[hidden email]'s password: cvs [update aborted]: received interr

# exit

Script done on Sun Jan 15 11:21:28 2006

I have searched in the FAQ with no clues.

Thanks in advance for your help

Ramiro

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

ea4nz
oh, forgot to say that I wish to track -current

Thanks
Ramiro

On 1/15/06, Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello OpenBSD friends.
>
> I have been googling around and I am not able to solve this problem.
> I am going to tell you the exact procedure for you to tell me whether
> I am doing something wrong.
>
> My system was OpenBSD 3.8-stable. I cvs checkout'ed src, ports, XF4 and www
> from [hidden email]:/cvs, but using my Debian GNU/Linux
> at University, where we have a very high speed Internet connection.
> I tar'ed and gzip'ed the sources in four different *tar.gz files. I saved
> them in an CDROM and went home...
>
> I arrived home, and unpacked them into /usr/, compiled the kernel, the
> userland and XF4 with success.
>
> Two days later, I wanted to "cvs up" the souce from my OpenBSD box, and
> was stuck at the cvs prompt, when It asks me for a password:
> Script started on Sun Jan 15 11:20:34 2006
> # cd /usr
> # export CVSROOT="[hidden email]:/cvs"
> # cvs up -Pd
> [hidden email]'s password:
> Permission denied, please try again.
> [hidden email]'s password: cvs [update aborted]: received
> interr
>
> # exit
>
> Script done on Sun Jan 15 11:21:28 2006
>
> I have searched in the FAQ with no clues.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Ramiro

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:40:23 -0800
Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> oh, forgot to say that I wish to track -current
>
> Thanks
> Ramiro
>
> On 1/15/06, Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello OpenBSD friends.
> >
> > I have been googling around and I am not able to solve this problem.
> > I am going to tell you the exact procedure for you to tell me whether
> > I am doing something wrong.
> >
> > My system was OpenBSD 3.8-stable. I cvs checkout'ed src, ports, XF4 and
www

> > from [hidden email]:/cvs, but using my Debian GNU/Linux
> > at University, where we have a very high speed Internet connection.
> > I tar'ed and gzip'ed the sources in four different *tar.gz files. I saved
> > them in an CDROM and went home...
> >
> > I arrived home, and unpacked them into /usr/, compiled the kernel, the
> > userland and XF4 with success.
> >
> > Two days later, I wanted to "cvs up" the souce from my OpenBSD box, and
> > was stuck at the cvs prompt, when It asks me for a password:
> > Script started on Sun Jan 15 11:20:34 2006
> > # cd /usr
> > # export CVSROOT="[hidden email]:/cvs"
> > # cvs up -Pd
> > [hidden email]'s password:
> > Permission denied, please try again.
> > [hidden email]'s password: cvs [update aborted]: received
> > interr
> >
> > # exit
> >
> > Script done on Sun Jan 15 11:21:28 2006
> >
> > I have searched in the FAQ with no clues.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help
> >
> > Ramiro

I had that problem too with that mirror. I changed mirror, and forgot about
it...

Cheers,
Jasper

--
"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

steven mestdagh
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 01:40:23AM -0800, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> > # cvs up -Pd
> > [hidden email]'s password:
> > Permission denied, please try again.
> > [hidden email]'s password: cvs [update aborted]: received
> > interr

yes, i'm seeing the same.  Wim?

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:40:23 -0800
> Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>oh, forgot to say that I wish to track -current
>>
>>Thanks
>>Ramiro
>>
>>On 1/15/06, Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello OpenBSD friends.
>>>
>>>I have been googling around and I am not able to solve this problem.
>>>I am going to tell you the exact procedure for you to tell me whether
>>>I am doing something wrong.
>>>
>>>My system was OpenBSD 3.8-stable. I cvs checkout'ed src, ports, XF4 and www
>>>from [hidden email]:/cvs, but using my Debian GNU/Linux
>>>at University, where we have a very high speed Internet connection.
>>>I tar'ed and gzip'ed the sources in four different *tar.gz files. I saved
>>>them in an CDROM and went home...
>>>
>>>I arrived home, and unpacked them into /usr/, compiled the kernel, the
>>>userland and XF4 with success.
>>>
>>>Two days later, I wanted to "cvs up" the souce from my OpenBSD box, and
>>>was stuck at the cvs prompt, when It asks me for a password:
>>>Script started on Sun Jan 15 11:20:34 2006
>>># cd /usr
>>># export CVSROOT="[hidden email]:/cvs"
>>># cvs up -Pd
>>>[hidden email]'s password:
>>>Permission denied, please try again.
>>>[hidden email]'s password: cvs [update aborted]: received
>>>interr
>>>
>>># exit
>>>
>>>Script done on Sun Jan 15 11:21:28 2006
>>>
>>>I have searched in the FAQ with no clues.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for your help
>>>
>>>Ramiro
>>
> I had that problem too with that mirror. I changed mirror, and forgot about
> it...
>
> Cheers,
> Jasper

Hello Jasper, thanks for your fast answer. I think that last night I
tried with another main mirror and got the same result. I am going to
try again to see what happens.

Thanks for your help
Ramiro.

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

Wim Vandeputte

yes, it's correct that I've removed both the anoncvs and openssh access
to the machine as it needs to be upgraded.

This will probably happen next time I get to Vienna, so around May.

In the mean time I will remove the entry from the website to avoid
confusion.

Sorry guys, but it's just too busy around here to deal with this...

                                            https://kd85.com/notforsale.html

Wim Vandeputte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yes, it's correct that I've removed both the anoncvs and openssh access
> to the machine as it needs to be upgraded.
>
> This will probably happen next time I get to Vienna, so around May.
>
> In the mean time I will remove the entry from the website to avoid
> confusion.
>
> Sorry guys, but it's just too busy around here to deal with this...

Ok thanks for the information. Yes, I have changed to another server and
it works fine.

Thank you guys.

Enjoy compiling!

Ramiro.

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

ea4nz
>>Two days later, I wanted to "cvs up" the souce from my OpenBSD box, and
>>was stuck at the cvs prompt, when It asks me for a password:
>>Script started on Sun Jan 15 11:20:34 2006
>># cd /usr
>># export CVSROOT="[hidden email]:/cvs"
>># cvs up -Pd
>>[hidden email]'s password:
>>Permission denied, please try again.
>>[hidden email]'s password: cvs [update aborted]: received
>>interr
>>
>># exit
>>
>>Script done on Sun Jan 15 11:21:28 2006
>>
>>I have searched in the FAQ with no clues.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your help
>>
>>Ramiro

I have investigated it further, and:

When yesterday I tried another mirror, changing CVROOT env variable, I
asumed that "cvs up -Pd" will pick the new mirror. But it picks instead
the mirror that is on the /usr/src/CVS directory, so in order to use the
new mirror, I needed to use the -d$CVROOT parameter.

Thanks all

Ramiro.

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
2006/1/15, Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]>:

> >>Two days later, I wanted to "cvs up" the souce from my OpenBSD box, and
> >>was stuck at the cvs prompt, when It asks me for a password:
> >>Script started on Sun Jan 15 11:20:34 2006
> >># cd /usr
> >># export CVSROOT="[hidden email]:/cvs"
> >># cvs up -Pd
> >>[hidden email]'s password:
> >>Permission denied, please try again.
> >>[hidden email]'s password: cvs [update aborted]: received
> >>interr
> >>
> >># exit
> >>
> >>Script done on Sun Jan 15 11:21:28 2006
> >>
> >>I have searched in the FAQ with no clues.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance for your help
> >>
> >>Ramiro
> >>

> I have investigated it further, and:
>
> When yesterday I tried another mirror, changing CVROOT env variable, I
> asumed that "cvs up -Pd" will pick the new mirror. But it picks instead
> the mirror that is on the /usr/src/CVS directory, so in order to use the
> new mirror, I needed to use the -d$CVROOT parameter.

Alternatively you can change CVS/Root in each directory:

find . -name Root -exec perl -i -pe
's,.*,anoncvs\@cvs.server.mirror:/cvs,' {} \;

--
Gerardo Santana
"Between individuals, as between nations, respect for the rights of
http://santanatechnotes.blogspot.com/

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

Joachim Schipper
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:52:37PM +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> I have investigated it further, and:
>
> When yesterday I tried another mirror, changing CVROOT env variable, I
> asumed that "cvs up -Pd" will pick the new mirror. But it picks instead
> the mirror that is on the /usr/src/CVS directory, so in order to use the
> new mirror, I needed to use the -d$CVROOT parameter.

There is a reason why the FAQ tells you to specify the -d option
explicitly, and this reason is itself in the FAQ... ;-)

                Joachim

Joachim Schipper wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:52:37PM +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
>
>>I have investigated it further, and:
>>
>>When yesterday I tried another mirror, changing CVROOT env variable, I
>>asumed that "cvs up -Pd" will pick the new mirror. But it picks instead
>>the mirror that is on the /usr/src/CVS directory, so in order to use the
>>new mirror, I needed to use the -d$CVROOT parameter.
>

> There is a reason why the FAQ tells you to specify the -d option
> explicitly, and this reason is itself in the FAQ... ;-)
>
> Joachim

Oh yes, that was my mistake. I should have followed the FAQ instead
making my own asumptions.

Thanks for your help.
Ramiro.

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

ea4nz
>>When yesterday I tried another mirror, changing CVROOT env variable, I
>>asumed that "cvs up -Pd" will pick the new mirror. But it picks instead
>>the mirror that is on the /usr/src/CVS directory, so in order to use the
>>new mirror, I needed to use the -d$CVROOT parameter.
>

> Alternatively you can change CVS/Root in each directory:
>
> find . -name Root -exec perl -i -pe
> 's,.*,anoncvs\@cvs.server.mirror:/cvs,' {} \;
>
> --

Thank you Gerardo for the tip!

Ramiro

Re: anoncvs prompts for password

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
2006/1/15, Ramiro Aceves <[hidden email]>:

> >>When yesterday I tried another mirror, changing CVROOT env variable, I
> >>asumed that "cvs up -Pd" will pick the new mirror. But it picks instead
> >>the mirror that is on the /usr/src/CVS directory, so in order to use the
> >>new mirror, I needed to use the -d$CVROOT parameter.
> >

> > Alternatively you can change CVS/Root in each directory:
> >
> > find . -name Root -exec perl -i -pe
> > 's,.*,anoncvs\@cvs.server.mirror:/cvs,' {} \;
> >
> > --
>
> Thank you Gerardo for the tip!

I'm not happy with spawning perl each time a file is found, though.
That looks more like a job for sed, not perl.

I recalled there was a patch for sed to add in-place editing and
wondered what happened to it. I thought it was commited.

I just found the thread:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-tech&m=112831218022633&w=2

I hope it can be reconsidered.