amdgpu unstable atm

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
misc@

sharing some information for the devs

just did a sysupgrade of a -current amd64 machine
X (only, sent me back to login screen of xenodm) crashed 2x already
running only dwm and firefox-esr

machine is:
hw.vendor=ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
hw.product=Zephyrus G GU502DU_GA502DU

iGPU is:
amdgpu0: PICASSO 10 CU rev 0x01

dmesg error:
[drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=402, emitted seq=402
[drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread Xorg pid 50457
[drm] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, but soft recovered
[drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
[drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=1197, emitted seq=1197
[drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread  pid 0
[drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data

others:
amdgpu-firmware-20201218 firmware binary images for amdgpu(4) driver

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #286: Thu Jan 21 09:31:59 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 08:33:37PM +0900, rgc wrote:

> misc@
>
> sharing some information for the devs
>
> just did a sysupgrade of a -current amd64 machine
> X (only, sent me back to login screen of xenodm) crashed 2x already
> running only dwm and firefox-esr
>
> machine is:
> hw.vendor=ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
> hw.product=Zephyrus G GU502DU_GA502DU
>
> iGPU is:
> amdgpu0: PICASSO 10 CU rev 0x01
>
> dmesg error:
> [drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=402, emitted seq=402
> [drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread Xorg pid 50457
> [drm] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, but soft recovered
> [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> [drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=1197, emitted seq=1197
> [drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread  pid 0
> [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
>
> others:
> amdgpu-firmware-20201218 firmware binary images for amdgpu(4) driver
>
> kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #286: Thu Jan 21 09:31:59 MST 2021
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> ~ rgc
>

no crashes yet with:

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #288: Fri Jan 22 13:36:58 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 08:49:13PM +0900, rgc wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 08:33:37PM +0900, rgc wrote:
> > misc@
> >
> > sharing some information for the devs
> >
> > just did a sysupgrade of a -current amd64 machine
> > X (only, sent me back to login screen of xenodm) crashed 2x already
> > running only dwm and firefox-esr
> >
> > machine is:
> > hw.vendor=ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
> > hw.product=Zephyrus G GU502DU_GA502DU
> >
> > iGPU is:
> > amdgpu0: PICASSO 10 CU rev 0x01
> >
> > dmesg error:
> > [drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=402, emitted seq=402
> > [drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread Xorg pid 50457
> > [drm] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, but soft recovered
> > [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> > [drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=1197, emitted seq=1197
> > [drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread  pid 0
> > [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> >
> > others:
> > amdgpu-firmware-20201218 firmware binary images for amdgpu(4) driver
> >
> > kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #286: Thu Jan 21 09:31:59 MST 2021
> >     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> >
> > ~ rgc
> >
>
> no crashes yet with:
>
> kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #288: Fri Jan 22 13:36:58 MST 2021
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> ~ rgc
>

misc@

kept the machine running overnight
stterm and firefox-esr (static websites) running. looked good.

this morning i went to github to cleanup some personal projects
after a few minutes, firefox-esr stopped responding.
can not switch to stterm on another pane (ALT-1)

network connectivity was still OK.
last messages on dmesg:

wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)
[drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
[drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data

remotely, i tried killing process one by one. firefox-esr, xenodm, lastly X itself.
got a blank screen on the Asus, but i could get the console. started xenodm and
now working again.

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 07:19:36AM +0900, rgc wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 08:49:13PM +0900, rgc wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 08:33:37PM +0900, rgc wrote:
> > > misc@
> > >
> > > sharing some information for the devs
> > >
> > > just did a sysupgrade of a -current amd64 machine
> > > X (only, sent me back to login screen of xenodm) crashed 2x already
> > > running only dwm and firefox-esr
> > >
> > > machine is:
> > > hw.vendor=ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
> > > hw.product=Zephyrus G GU502DU_GA502DU
> > >
> > > iGPU is:
> > > amdgpu0: PICASSO 10 CU rev 0x01
> > >
> > > dmesg error:
> > > [drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=402, emitted seq=402
> > > [drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread Xorg pid 50457
> > > [drm] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, but soft recovered
> > > [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> > > [drm] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout, signaled seq=1197, emitted seq=1197
> > > [drm] *ERROR* Process information: process  pid 0 thread  pid 0
> > > [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> > >
> > > others:
> > > amdgpu-firmware-20201218 firmware binary images for amdgpu(4) driver
> > >
> > > kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #286: Thu Jan 21 09:31:59 MST 2021
> > >     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> > >
> > > ~ rgc
> > >
> >
> > no crashes yet with:
> >
> > kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #288: Fri Jan 22 13:36:58 MST 2021
> >     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> >
> > ~ rgc
> >
>
> misc@
>
> kept the machine running overnight
> stterm and firefox-esr (static websites) running. looked good.
>
> this morning i went to github to cleanup some personal projects
> after a few minutes, firefox-esr stopped responding.
> can not switch to stterm on another pane (ALT-1)
>
> network connectivity was still OK.
> last messages on dmesg:
>
> wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)
> [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
>
> remotely, i tried killing process one by one. firefox-esr, xenodm, lastly X itself.
> got a blank screen on the Asus, but i could get the console. started xenodm and
> now working again.
>
> ~ rgc
>

misc@

pkg_add -u; sysupgrade -ks this morning
i see firefox-esr pull a new gtk (iirc) build ... quirks-3.517
on firefox is visualsource.net playing commit videos
seems to be working good now ... and it seems firefox is more snappier

i still see these on xconsole
> [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
but no hangs or crashes at the moment.

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 05:33:22PM +0900, rgc wrote:

> misc@
>
> pkg_add -u; sysupgrade -ks this morning
> i see firefox-esr pull a new gtk (iirc) build ... quirks-3.517
> on firefox is visualsource.net playing commit videos
> seems to be working good now ... and it seems firefox is more snappier
>
> i still see these on xconsole
> > [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> > [drm] *ERROR* Error in DP aux read transaction, not writing source specific data
> but no hangs or crashes at the moment.
>
> ~ rgc
>

misc@

it's been a few days
some crashes still occured ..
one time i've already killed firefox-esr and was just using stterm when X crashed.

in the meantime, i've done a BIOS update.
i have SVM (AMDs vmm support) enabled which automatically shares 1Gb to iGPU.
and running pkg_add -u and sysupgrade every other day.

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #302: Sat Jan 30 21:51:53 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

running spyder3 and firefox-esr at the same time, no issues so far

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 08:05:45PM +0900, rgc wrote:

> misc@
>
> it's been a few days
> some crashes still occured ..
> one time i've already killed firefox-esr and was just using stterm when X crashed.
>
> in the meantime, i've done a BIOS update.
> i have SVM (AMDs vmm support) enabled which automatically shares 1Gb to iGPU.
> and running pkg_add -u and sysupgrade every other day.
>
> kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #302: Sat Jan 30 21:51:53 MST 2021
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> running spyder3 and firefox-esr at the same time, no issues so far

misc@

now running 6.9-beta

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #321: Mon Feb  8 14:21:26 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

sysupgraded this morning
logged in xenodm, running stterm, tmux, spyder3, firefox-esr
left it as-is ... went to work.
checked it later in the day, saw the console login prompt, pressing a key
shutdown the system. hmmn.

i was downstairs (WFH nowadays) so i would have known if there was a power failure.

as i type this i am sysupgrading

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 06:46:55PM +0900, rgc wrote:
>
> sysupgraded this morning
> logged in xenodm, running stterm, tmux, spyder3, firefox-esr
> left it as-is ... went to work.
> checked it later in the day, saw the console login prompt, pressing a key
> shutdown the system. hmmn.

this is probably a user error because i had the same thing happen today
thinking i had the machine suspended (via zzz) i pressed the power button and
the machine powered off.

but i can't remember if i pressed the power button on that day.

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #323: Tue Feb  9 10:19:03 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #328: Wed Feb 10 18:08:26 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

#323 was used over the weekend (2 days) no issues

#328 is running now. playing with vowpal_wabbit (a one-off compile)

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 07:02:41PM +0900, rgc wrote:
> kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #323: Tue Feb  9 10:19:03 MST 2021
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #328: Wed Feb 10 18:08:26 MST 2021
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> #323 was used over the weekend (2 days) no issues
>
> #328 is running now. playing with vowpal_wabbit (a one-off compile)

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #334: Sun Feb 14 11:49:39 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #338: Tue Feb 16 10:01:46 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

ran 334 until yesterday, did a 500Gb dd of the other drive. no hiccups.

now running 338. installed 2 nights ago. running a vmm, spyder3, firefox-esr no
issues. until the morning. i had it powered on overnight, xautolock-ed.
when the machine woke up display was "shimering/flickering". rather than
'reboot', i did a 'zzz' and woke it up again. shimer/flicker was gone.
first time i got this shimer/flicker on any laptop that i use.

today i didnt hibernate or suspend but this shimer/flicker has not occured again
after unlocking xautolock.

~ rgc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amdgpu unstable atm

rgcinjp
On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 06:26:40AM +0900, rgc wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 07:02:41PM +0900, rgc wrote:
> > kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #323: Tue Feb  9 10:19:03 MST 2021
> >     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> >
> > kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #328: Wed Feb 10 18:08:26 MST 2021
> >     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> >
> > #323 was used over the weekend (2 days) no issues
> >
> > #328 is running now. playing with vowpal_wabbit (a one-off compile)
>
> kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #334: Sun Feb 14 11:49:39 MST 2021
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #338: Tue Feb 16 10:01:46 MST 2021
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> ran 334 until yesterday, did a 500Gb dd of the other drive. no hiccups.
>
> now running 338. installed 2 nights ago. running a vmm, spyder3, firefox-esr no
> issues. until the morning. i had it powered on overnight, xautolock-ed.
> when the machine woke up display was "shimering/flickering". rather than
> 'reboot', i did a 'zzz' and woke it up again. shimer/flicker was gone.
> first time i got this shimer/flicker on any laptop that i use.
>
> today i didnt hibernate or suspend but this shimer/flicker has not occured again
> after unlocking xautolock.

shimer/flicker happened again once on 338.
zzz and wake-up again seems to restore things back to normal.

updated to the following in the last few days
and haven't encountered shimer/flicker or the original issue (X crash)

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #344: Fri Feb 19 10:01:51 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #350: Sun Feb 21 11:04:59 MST 2021
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP


~ rgc