amd64/machdep knob: forceukb forcing wrong encoding.

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

amd64/machdep knob: forceukb forcing wrong encoding.

Artturi Alm
Hi,

machdep.forceukbd=1 feels broken to me, as i use "sv", and it doesn't respect
/etc/kbdtype.
caused nothing but my time being (not-so-well-)wasted, because i forgot having
just added forceukbd=1 && this 'quirk' being undocumented. so maybe a docbug.

just wanted to make a note of this somewhere, sry4noise..
-Artturi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amd64/machdep knob: forceukb forcing wrong encoding.

Jason McIntyre-2
On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 11:28:31AM +0200, Artturi Alm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> machdep.forceukbd=1 feels broken to me, as i use "sv", and it doesn't respect
> /etc/kbdtype.
> caused nothing but my time being (not-so-well-)wasted, because i forgot having
> just added forceukbd=1 && this 'quirk' being undocumented. so maybe a docbug.
>
> just wanted to make a note of this somewhere, sry4noise..
> -Artturi
>

morning.

i ran into this this week too. i think it is a bug in its behaviour, not
a doc bug.

jmc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amd64/machdep knob: forceukb forcing wrong encoding.

Landry Breuil-5
On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 09:32:41AM +0000, Jason McIntyre wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 11:28:31AM +0200, Artturi Alm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > machdep.forceukbd=1 feels broken to me, as i use "sv", and it doesn't respect
> > /etc/kbdtype.
> > caused nothing but my time being (not-so-well-)wasted, because i forgot having
> > just added forceukbd=1 && this 'quirk' being undocumented. so maybe a docbug.
> >
> > just wanted to make a note of this somewhere, sry4noise..
> > -Artturi
> >
>
> morning.
>
> i ran into this this week too. i think it is a bug in its behaviour, not
> a doc bug.

I've seen it too, which doesnt help when at the same time you have an
azerty and a qwerty kbd, /etc/kbdtype set to fr, with forceukbd=1 both
end up having a 'funny' behaviour..

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amd64/machdep knob: forceukb forcing wrong encoding.

Martin Pieuchot
In reply to this post by Artturi Alm
On 04/02/18(Sun) 11:28, Artturi Alm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> machdep.forceukbd=1 feels broken to me, as i use "sv", and it doesn't respect
> /etc/kbdtype.

If you unplug/replug your USB keyboard after having booted does it
respect /etc/kbdtype?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amd64/machdep knob: forceukb forcing wrong encoding.

Artturi Alm
On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 02:51:48PM +0100, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> On 04/02/18(Sun) 11:28, Artturi Alm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > machdep.forceukbd=1 feels broken to me, as i use "sv", and it doesn't respect
> > /etc/kbdtype.
>
> If you unplug/replug your USB keyboard after having booted does it
> respect /etc/kbdtype?

Yes, no issues when machdep.forceukbd=0, and i do that unplug/replug-dance
"in software" several times a day, as i use the same mouse+keyboard
on my VM for games.

-Artturi