alix 2c3 bios version

Mark Zimmerman
Greetings:

I just got a new alix 2c3 board and it came with bios version 0.99
(12/10/07).  There is a new version, 0.99b (1/27/08) available. Has
anyone experienced problems with 0.99 using OpenBSD?  I prefer not to
reflash bioses without a reason.

Related question: If I need to reflash, I am using a serial connection
from a laptop running -current.  The upload needs to use xmodem
protocol. I found the ~C command in tip to use an external program for
upload but I have not found anything in base or ports that will do the
xmodem upload. Is there something?  My fallback is to use a linux
machine with minicom but I wondered if OpenBSD can do this.

-- Mark

Re: alix 2c3 bios version

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Mark Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My fallback is to use a linux
> machine with minicom but I wondered if OpenBSD can do this.

Is minicom's xmodem support tied to Linux?  OpenBSD's ports tree has
comm/minicom.

Re: alix 2c3 bios version

On 2008-06-08, Mark Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just got a new alix 2c3 board and it came with bios version 0.99
> (12/10/07).  There is a new version, 0.99b (1/27/08) available. Has
> anyone experienced problems with 0.99 using OpenBSD?  I prefer not to
> reflash bioses without a reason.

You should read the release notes in the .txt file...

> Related question: If I need to reflash, I am using a serial connection
> from a laptop running -current.  The upload needs to use xmodem
> protocol. I found the ~C command in tip to use an external program for
> upload but I have not found anything in base or ports that will do the
> xmodem upload. Is there something?  My fallback is to use a linux
> machine with minicom but I wondered if OpenBSD can do this.

lrzsz

Re: alix 2c3 bios version

Paul de Weerd
On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:04:25AM -0600, Mark Zimmerman wrote:
| Greetings:
|
| I just got a new alix 2c3 board and it came with bios version 0.99
| (12/10/07).  There is a new version, 0.99b (1/27/08) available. Has
| anyone experienced problems with 0.99 using OpenBSD?  I prefer not to
| reflash bioses without a reason.

I have several 2c3's, all running 0.99, all running very -current
snapshots, all perfectly fine. I have not flashed 0.99b since the
release notes did not lead me to believe I'd gain anything from it :

v0.99b  pd 080111       Add PCI table entry for Commell MP-541
                        dual LAN miniPCI card.

Of course, I don't have a Commell MP-541 dual LAN miniPCI card, so
YMMV. My best guess is that 0.99 will be perfectly fine for your
needs.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: alix 2c3 bios version

Mark Zimmerman
On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:29:01AM -0700, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Mark Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My fallback is to use a linux
> > machine with minicom but I wondered if OpenBSD can do this.
>
> Is minicom's xmodem support tied to Linux?  OpenBSD's ports tree has
> comm/minicom.

You're right, of course. I was looking for a standalone xmodem program
and forgot to do the obvious and look for minicom.

-- Mark

Re: alix 2c3 bios version - SUMMARY

Mark Zimmerman
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Here is a summary, for the
archives.

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:04:25AM -0600, Mark Zimmerman wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I just got a new alix 2c3 board and it came with bios version 0.99
> (12/10/07).  There is a new version, 0.99b (1/27/08) available. Has
> anyone experienced problems with 0.99 using OpenBSD?  I prefer not to
> reflash bioses without a reason.

0.99 works fine with -current as of 08-Jun-2008. I am running it now,
as are others. One off-list response reported undesirable results with
reflashing through the serial port and recommended reflashing with
bootable CF, if necessary. I am sticking with 0.99.

> Related question: If I need to reflash, I am using a serial connection
> from a laptop running -current.  The upload needs to use xmodem
> protocol. I found the ~C command in tip to use an external program for
> upload but I have not found anything in base or ports that will do the
> xmodem upload. Is there something?  My fallback is to use a linux
> machine with minicom but I wondered if OpenBSD can do this.

minicom is in ports (I forgot to look). Also, lrzsz is a smaller
program in ports that should work with tip.