adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Daniel E. Testa
Hi, I'd like to start working on the openbsd kernel. I thought about
adding JFS (http://jfs.sourceforge.net/) to it.

Do you know if there's anyone already working on this? I cannot access
the bug tracking system (seems to be down)

It seems that the JFS maintenance is being carried out in kernel.org
and contains the following legend:

[...]
/*
 *   Copyright (C) International Business Machines Corp., 2000-2004
 *
 *   This program is free software;  you can redistribute it and/or modify
 *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 *   (at your option) any later version.
 *
 *   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 *   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;  without even the implied warranty of
 *   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
 *   the GNU General Public License for more details.
 *
 *   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
 *   along with this program;  if not, write to the Free Software
 *   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
 */
[...]

it is ok to port this kind of source code or a reimplementation is preferred?

Thanks.

Regards.
Daniel.

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

STeve Andre'
On 07/04/11 15:51, Daniel Testa wrote:

> Hi, I'd like to start working on the openbsd kernel. I thought about
> adding JFS (http://jfs.sourceforge.net/) to it.
>
> Do you know if there's anyone already working on this? I cannot access
> the bug tracking system (seems to be down)
>
> It seems that the JFS maintenance is being carried out in kernel.org
> and contains the following legend:
>
> [...]
> /*
>   *   Copyright (C) International Business Machines Corp., 2000-2004
>   *
>   *   This program is free software;  you can redistribute it and/or modify
>   *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>   *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>   *   (at your option) any later version.
>   *
>   *   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>   *   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;  without even the implied warranty of
>   *   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
>   *   the GNU General Public License for more details.
>   *
>   *   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>   *   along with this program;  if not, write to the Free Software
>   *   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
>   */
> [...]
>
> it is ok to port this kind of source code or a reimplementation is preferred?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards.
> Daniel.

It will never go into the tree.  GPL'd code is OK for ports, but not
OpenBSD itself.

--STeve Andre'

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Martin Schröder
2011/7/4 Daniel Testa <[hidden email]>:
> it is ok to port this kind of source code or a reimplementation is preferred?

No. Yes.
http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Daniel E. Testa
ok, so... how can do it in such a way it can go into the tree? should
I re-implement JFS?

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM, STeve Andre' <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/04/11 15:51, Daniel Testa wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'd like to start working on the openbsd kernel. I thought about
>> adding JFS (http://jfs.sourceforge.net/) to it.
>>
>> Do you know if there's anyone already working on this? I cannot access
>> the bug tracking system (seems to be down)
>>
>> It seems that the JFS maintenance is being carried out in kernel.org
>> and contains the following legend:
>>
>> [...]
>> /*
>>  *   Copyright (C) International Business Machines Corp., 2000-2004
>>  *
>>  *   This program is free software;  you can redistribute it and/or modify
>>  *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>>  *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>>  *   (at your option) any later version.
>>  *
>>  *   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>>  *   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;  without even the implied warranty of
>>  *   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
>>  *   the GNU General Public License for more details.
>>  *
>>  *   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>>  *   along with this program;  if not, write to the Free Software
>>  *   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
>> USA
>>  */
>> [...]
>>
>> it is ok to port this kind of source code or a reimplementation is
>> preferred?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Regards.
>> Daniel.
>>

> It will never go into the tree.  GPL'd code is OK for ports, but not
> OpenBSD itself.
>
> --STeve Andre'

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

joshua stein-3
> ok, so... how can do it in such a way it can go into the tree? should
> I re-implement JFS?

maybe look into SU+J?

http://www.mckusick.com/BSDCan/bsdcan2010.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NuhRkiInvA

http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/22716.html

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Ted Unangst-6
On Mon, Jul 04, 2011, joshua stein wrote:

>> ok, so... how can do it in such a way it can go into the tree? should
>> I re-implement JFS?
>
> maybe look into SU+J?
>
> http://www.mckusick.com/BSDCan/bsdcan2010.pdf
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NuhRkiInvA
>
> http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/22716.html

I think they maybe have the bugs out, but they were still fixing some
serious issues very recently, and it took us years to get the existing
softdep code stabilized.  I don't think anybody is going to want to make
changes like this.  Potential porters should very seriously consider the
advice that they never would have done softdep journaling if they'd
known how hard it would be.

If you need journaling, adding ext3fs support to ext2fs would be
reasonable.  First, we already have the code for the filesystem, so
you're not starting from scratch.  Second, nobody uses that code, so if
you screw it up you won't hurt people as badly.

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

joshua stein-3
> I think they maybe have the bugs out, but they were still fixing some
> serious issues very recently, and it took us years to get the existing
> softdep code stabilized.

i'm not sure if netbsd's journaling code is any better, but they
also have something for ffs:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2008/07/31/msg208525.html

http://zhadum.org.uk/2008/08/23/wapbl-vs-soft-dependences/

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Daniel E. Testa
ok... I think I'll follow your recommendation Ted. I'll work on adding
ext3fs support.

Thanks to all of you guys for your advice.

Regards.
Daniel.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 04, 2011, joshua stein wrote:
>>> ok, so... how can do it in such a way it can go into the tree? should
>>> I re-implement JFS?
>>
>> maybe look into SU+J?
>>
>> http://www.mckusick.com/BSDCan/bsdcan2010.pdf
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NuhRkiInvA
>>
>> http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/22716.html
>
> I think they maybe have the bugs out, but they were still fixing some
> serious issues very recently, and it took us years to get the existing
> softdep code stabilized.  I don't think anybody is going to want to make
> changes like this.  Potential porters should very seriously consider the
> advice that they never would have done softdep journaling if they'd
> known how hard it would be.
>
> If you need journaling, adding ext3fs support to ext2fs would be
> reasonable.  First, we already have the code for the filesystem, so
> you're not starting from scratch.  Second, nobody uses that code, so if
> you screw it up you won't hurt people as badly.

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

James A. Peltier
| Hi, I'd like to start working on the openbsd kernel. I thought about
| adding JFS (http://jfs.sourceforge.net/) to it.
|
| Do you know if there's anyone already working on this? I cannot access
| the bug tracking system (seems to be down)
|
| It seems that the JFS maintenance is being carried out in kernel.org
| and contains the following legend:
|
| [...]
| /*
| * Copyright (C) International Business Machines Corp., 2000-2004
| *
| * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
| * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
| * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
| * (at your option) any later version.
| *
| * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
| * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
| * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See
| * the GNU General Public License for more details.
| *
| * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
| * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
| * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
| USA
| */
| [...]
|
| it is ok to port this kind of source code or a reimplementation is
| preferred?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Regards.
| Daniel.

No GPL software will ever be included in the kernel.  However, you might want to have a look at the file systems in the other BSDs, such as maybe HAMMERFS in DragonflyBSD.  It certainly wouldn't be easy, or even likely for that matter, to work it in but it is certainly an interesting file system. ;)

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Gregor Best
On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 06:24:31PM -0300, Daniel Testa wrote:
> ok... I think I'll follow your recommendation Ted. I'll work on adding
> ext3fs support.
> [...]

If you need someone testing that, I'd be glad to get my external hd's
file system trashed by experimental journaling code.

    Gregor

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Daniel E. Testa
I won't have something testable for a while but I'll keep that in
mind. Thanks :)

Daniel

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Gregor Best <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 06:24:31PM -0300, Daniel Testa wrote:
>> ok... I think I'll follow your recommendation Ted. I'll work on adding
>> ext3fs support.
>> [...]
>
> If you need someone testing that, I'd be glad to get my external hd's
> file system trashed by experimental journaling code.
>
>    Gregor
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]

Re: adding Journaled File System (JFS)

Daniel E. Testa
I think ext3fs is a good starting point. Once I get confortable with
kernel programming I'll work on porting/implementing other FS.

Thanks for the advice.

Daniel.