add en_US.UTF8 support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

add en_US.UTF8 support

Wesley MOUEDINE ASSABY
Hi,

I run OpenBSD 5.3-current i386 (xbase.tgz included)
I install php-5.3 /gd /zip
added owncloud 5.0 from owncloud.org

I read the faq : 10.20.1 - Configuring the active character set

I tried this : export LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
and restart apache same error in Owncloud :
setting locale to en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8 failed. Support is probably
not installed on your system

Any idea ?

Regards,

Wesley M.A

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: add en_US.UTF8 support

Stefan Sperling-8
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:51:55AM +0400, Wesley M.A. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run OpenBSD 5.3-current i386 (xbase.tgz included)
> I install php-5.3 /gd /zip
> added owncloud 5.0 from owncloud.org
>
> I read the faq : 10.20.1 - Configuring the active character set
>
> I tried this : export LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
> and restart apache same error in Owncloud :
> setting locale to en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8 failed. Support is probably
> not installed on your system
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Wesley M.A

Keep in mind that httpd runs in a chroot in /var/www.

You cannot use locales inside of the chroot without also copying all the
necessary support files into the chroot (e.g. /usr/share/locale).

I would recommend to run owncloud in the C locale. I do this myself and
don't see any operational issues with that (unless something has changed
in owncloud 5, in which case I'll have to deal with this as well when I
upgrade my server...)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: add en_US.UTF8 support

Wesley MOUEDINE ASSABY
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Le 2013-04-11 17:54, Stefan Sperling a écrit :
> Keep in mind that httpd runs in a chroot in /var/www.

I run it using chroot with https support (-DSSL flags)

> I would recommend to run owncloud in the C locale.

What do you mean by 'C locale' ?

Warm regards,

Wesley

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: add en_US.UTF8 support

Stefan Sperling-8
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:30:51PM +0400, Wesley M.A. wrote:
> What do you mean by 'C locale' ?

The default locale is called the 'C' locale. It is used when
you don't configure any locale via LC_CTYPE or LANG. It only
supports the ASCII character set. However that doesn't mean that
applications cannot use non-ASCII characters if they want to,
they just won't get special support from the operating system
for this task.

Why are you trying to configure a UTF-8 locale? Do you have a
special need for this in your use of owncloud?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: add en_US.UTF8 support

Wesley MOUEDINE ASSABY
Le 2013-04-11 21:51, Stefan Sperling a écrit :

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:30:51PM +0400, Wesley M.A. wrote:
>> What do you mean by 'C locale' ?
>
> The default locale is called the 'C' locale. It is used when
> you don't configure any locale via LC_CTYPE or LANG. It only
> supports the ASCII character set. However that doesn't mean that
> applications cannot use non-ASCII characters if they want to,
> they just won't get special support from the operating system
> for this task.
>
> Why are you trying to configure a UTF-8 locale? Do you have a
> special need for this in your use of owncloud?

I get this in the admin console (warning log):
Error core setting locale to en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8 failed. Support
is probably not installed on your system

And at the top :
"Locale not working
This ownCloud server can't set system locale to en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8.
This means that there might be problems with certain characters in file
names. We strongly suggest to install the required packages on your
system to support en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8."

Owncloud used : the last 5.0.3

Any idea to fix this ?

Again, thank you very much for your time!

Cheers,

Wesley

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: add en_US.UTF8 support

Stefan Sperling-8
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:18:26PM +0400, Wesley M.A. wrote:

> I get this in the admin console (warning log):
> Error core setting locale to en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8 failed.
> Support is probably not installed on your system
>
> And at the top :
> "Locale not working
> This ownCloud server can't set system locale to
> en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8. This means that there might be problems with
> certain characters in file names. We strongly suggest to install the
> required packages on your system to support en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF8."
>
> Owncloud used : the last 5.0.3

OK. I don't see these errors using owncloud 4.
 
> Any idea to fix this ?

When I find time to upgrade to owncloud 5 I will look into this.

It is possible that this will fix it:

  mkdir -p /var/www/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
  cp /usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_CTYPE /var/www/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_CTYPE

But I haven't tested.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: add en_US.UTF8 support

Wesley MOUEDINE ASSABY
Le 2013-04-11 22:29, Stefan Sperling a écrit :
> When I find time to upgrade to owncloud 5 I will look into this.
>
> It is possible that this will fix it:
>
>   mkdir -p /var/www/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
>   cp /usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_CTYPE
> /var/www/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_CTYPE
>
> But I haven't tested.

It works.
Again, thank you very much !

Cheers,

Wesley