about BUILD_PACKAGES and no-strip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

about BUILD_PACKAGES and no-strip

Marc Espie-2
There are some special needs ports  like cmake and qmake with labyrinthine
options to figure out what to build "release" and you get no debug info.
"debug" and you get waaaay too much stuff.

the tweak I committed  a few days ago does cut through the red tape...

Tool wants special treatment to accommodate DEBUG_PACKAGES  ? Just say no.
If it is too complicated to compile with -g *and* prevent the tool from
running strip during fake, just *let it* run strip.

The secret is NOT to tell it that this particular "strip" does nothing ;)


What matters is the result.

Aint nobody got time for that s***.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: about BUILD_PACKAGES and no-strip

Rafael Sadowski
On Sun May 24, 2020 at 03:09:42PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> There are some special needs ports  like cmake and qmake with labyrinthine
> options to figure out what to build "release" and you get no debug info.
> "debug" and you get waaaay too much stuff.

You can simply use CONFIG += force_debug_info to get debug symbols even
in release mode for qmake applications. (MODQMAKE_ARGS +=
CONFIG+=force_debug_info) do you remember?

>
> the tweak I committed  a few days ago does cut through the red tape...
>
> Tool wants special treatment to accommodate DEBUG_PACKAGES  ? Just say no.
> If it is too complicated to compile with -g *and* prevent the tool from
> running strip during fake, just *let it* run strip.
>
> The secret is NOT to tell it that this particular "strip" does nothing ;)
>
>
> What matters is the result.
>
> Aint nobody got time for that s***.
>

I did the work for CMake too, did anybody care? No! It doesn't matter
now fake-strip kill them all

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: about BUILD_PACKAGES and no-strip

Marc Espie-2
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 11:40:34PM +0200, Rafael Sadowski wrote:
> On Sun May 24, 2020 at 03:09:42PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> > There are some special needs ports  like cmake and qmake with labyrinthine
> > options to figure out what to build "release" and you get no debug info.
> > "debug" and you get waaaay too much stuff.
>
> You can simply use CONFIG += force_debug_info to get debug symbols even
> in release mode for qmake applications. (MODQMAKE_ARGS +=
> CONFIG+=force_debug_info) do you remember?

Actually, no, I don't remember... it's yet another long documentation to
read through...  I did cut through in shotcut.

If there's an option, why doesn't qmake.port.mk does it automatically ?

> > the tweak I committed  a few days ago does cut through the red tape...
> >
> > Tool wants special treatment to accommodate DEBUG_PACKAGES  ? Just say no.
> > If it is too complicated to compile with -g *and* prevent the tool from
> > running strip during fake, just *let it* run strip.
> >
> > The secret is NOT to tell it that this particular "strip" does nothing ;)
> >
> >
> > What matters is the result.
> >
> > Aint nobody got time for that s***.

> I did the work for CMake too, did anybody care? No! It doesn't matter
> now fake-strip kill them all

That's still cool that you looked at it... I hope it's going to be automatic.