a thankyou to OpenBSD

Diana Eichert
I don't post much any more, my OpenBSD systems "just work".

Just wanted to post a thank you to OpenBSD because it does
"just work".

My day job entails a lot of Linux support, lately I've been
dealing with the big screwup associated with network interface
naming.  WHY can't Linux follow BSD's straightforward NIC
naming?  It's positively bizarre all the crappy little files
and "utilities" they have come up with so you can munge NIC
names to something more useful than "p3p2"!!!.

In appreciation I just sent in a donation via the OpenBSD
donation page.

g.day

fade to black
diana

Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

Re: a thankyou to OpenBSD

Bob Beck-2
Wave.. Thanks Diana.

I still owe you a beer or thirteen.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't post much any more, my OpenBSD systems "just work".
>
> Just wanted to post a thank you to OpenBSD because it does
> "just work".
>
> My day job entails a lot of Linux support, lately I've been
> dealing with the big screwup associated with network interface
> naming.  WHY can't Linux follow BSD's straightforward NIC
> naming?  It's positively bizarre all the crappy little files
> and "utilities" they have come up with so you can munge NIC
> names to something more useful than "p3p2"!!!.
>
> In appreciation I just sent in a donation via the OpenBSD
> donation page.
>
> g.day
>
> fade to black
> diana
>

> Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
> Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

Re: a thankyou to OpenBSD

Giancarlo Razzolini-3
On 10-02-2015 22:26, Diana Eichert wrote:
> My day job entails a lot of Linux support, lately I've been
> dealing with the big screwup associated with network interface
> naming.  WHY can't Linux follow BSD's straightforward NIC
> naming?
This answer is a simple one: systemd
> It's positively bizarre all the crappy little files
> and "utilities" they have come up with so you can munge NIC
> names to something more useful than "p3p2"!!!.
I don't know if you know this, but just put net.ifnames=0 in your
kernel's parameters and it will revert to the old way.

Anyway, I, like you, have many OpenBSD systems that "just work". Thank
you OpenBSD.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]

OT Linux rant Was: a thankyou to OpenBSD

Diana Eichert
Oh yeah, systemd.  The new and improved init replacement.
It sure looks less complex,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#mediaviewer/File:Systemd_components.svg

Yeah, I know about net.ifnames=0, but that just gets you back
to the ethX paradigm.  So very "helpful" in a very generic
way.  What about the idea about actually telling me what
the damn underlying hardware is by using a descriptive
device name.  In the BSDs I know I can "man fxp" and actually
learn something about my NIC.

Any way, this was meant to be a post thanking OpenBSD
project and it's developers.  So I'll stop the rant here.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:

> On 10-02-2015 22:26, Diana Eichert wrote:
>> My day job entails a lot of Linux support, lately I've been
>> dealing with the big screwup associated with network interface
>> naming.  WHY can't Linux follow BSD's straightforward NIC
>> naming?
> This answer is a simple one: systemd
>> It's positively bizarre all the crappy little files
>> and "utilities" they have come up with so you can munge NIC
>> names to something more useful than "p3p2"!!!.
> I don't know if you know this, but just put net.ifnames=0 in your
> kernel's parameters and it will revert to the old way.
>
> Anyway, I, like you, have many OpenBSD systems that "just work". Thank
> you OpenBSD.
>
> Cheers,
> Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: a thankyou to OpenBSD

David Coppa
On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know if you know this, but just put net.ifnames=0 in your
> kernel's parameters and it will revert to the old way.

As usual with linux, every new enhancement or modification is always
accompanied by a knob to fully annihilate such new feature:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-crypto-vger&m=140631309022050&w=2

Ciao ;)
David

Re: a thankyou to OpenBSD

trondd
On 2/10/15, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> names to something more useful than "p3p2"!!!.

That's an easy one.  I have "eno16780032".  Awesome.

I try to stay away from as much of the Linux configuration as possible
and administer the applications.  My contribution is running "yum
upgrade" every 3 days or so for the latest vulnerability, typically in
something I shouldn't even need.

OpenBSD is so easy and pleasant to use.

Tim.

Re: a thankyou to OpenBSD

Артур Истомин
On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:36:19AM -0500, trondd wrote:
> On 2/10/15, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > names to something more useful than "p3p2"!!!.
> >
> That's an easy one.  I have "eno16780032".  Awesome.

It is somehow related to network interfaces layout on motherboard.
This stupid default already 3-5 years old on Fedora (and maybe for
all RedHat related distros).

Re: a thankyou to OpenBSD

Stefan Wollny-2
Am 02/11/15 um 01:26 schrieb Diana Eichert:

> I don't post much any more, my OpenBSD systems "just work".
>
> Just wanted to post a thank you to OpenBSD because it does
> "just work".
>
> My day job entails a lot of Linux support, lately I've been
> dealing with the big screwup associated with network interface
> naming.  WHY can't Linux follow BSD's straightforward NIC
> naming?  It's positively bizarre all the crappy little files
> and "utilities" they have come up with so you can munge NIC
> names to something more useful than "p3p2"!!!.
>
> In appreciation I just sent in a donation via the OpenBSD
> donation page.

Over and again the developers have been helpful in getting OpenBSD up
and running, solving issues and teaching those who need help like me.

Today it's been Antoine@ who off-list took some time and guided me to
find a solution for a little problem (actually the problem was in front
of the screen ;-) )

So I'd like to take the opportunity of this thread to say THANK YOU to
the devs by donating EUR 100,00 extra as an honest THANK YOU alone
doesn't pay the bills, right?

Best,
STEFAN