a question about KDE

Rakhesh Sasidharan-3
Hi,

I am quite double-minds about posting this question, for fear of
starting some GNOME vs KDE discussion. But I am curious. I see that
the ports have the latest version of KDE (kde-3.5) compared to a
not-so-latest version of GNOME (gnome-2.10). Any reason why things are
that way?

Is it something to do with the KDE code ... maybe its more easily
buildable on various platforms and hence easier to maintain? Or is it
just that the KDE port maintaners have more time on their hands to
keep it updated?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--
        NetBSD/i386 3.0 + pkgsrc-current | OpenBSD/i386 3.9
        http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.netbsd.* (netbsd archives)
        http://man.netbsd.org/ | http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi (manpages)

Re: a question about KDE

Nikolay Sturm-2
* Rakhesh Sasidharan [2006-06-10]:
> and hence easier to maintain? Or is it just that the KDE port
> maintaners have more time on their hands to keep it updated?

Neither KDE, nor GNOME has a proper maintainer, although espie@ is
taking care of KDE in practice. Since marcm@ gave up on GNOME
maintenance, nobody picked that job up.

Nikolay

Re: a question about KDE

marius-6
On 6/10/06, Nikolay Sturm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * Rakhesh Sasidharan [2006-06-10]:
> > and hence easier to maintain? Or is it just that the KDE port
> > maintaners have more time on their hands to keep it updated?
>
> Neither KDE, nor GNOME has a proper maintainer, although espie@ is
> taking care of KDE in practice. Since marcm@ gave up on GNOME
> maintenance, nobody picked that job up.

I've done some rough work on Gnome 2.14 over the weekend. Considering
that this is my first serious attempt at porting, I emphesize the word
"rough".

I got over a dozen ports to build, however I cannot get nautilus to
compile. I get various error messages related to exif. I've tried
commenting out some of the libExif checks in the configure file, but
it's a bit over my head.

Does anyone have a working port of nautilus-2.14.1? If so, then I
should be able to send in diffs for most of Gnome 2.14 in the next
couple of days.

Thanks, Marius

//mts

Re: a question about KDE

marius-6
On 6/19/06, marius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/10/06, Nikolay Sturm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * Rakhesh Sasidharan [2006-06-10]:
> > > and hence easier to maintain? Or is it just that the KDE port
> > > maintaners have more time on their hands to keep it updated?
> >
> > Neither KDE, nor GNOME has a proper maintainer, although espie@ is
> > taking care of KDE in practice. Since marcm@ gave up on GNOME
> > maintenance, nobody picked that job up.
> >

> I've done some rough work on Gnome 2.14 over the weekend. Considering
> that this is my first serious attempt at porting, I emphesize the word
> "rough".
>
> I got over a dozen ports to build, however I cannot get nautilus to
> compile. I get various error messages related to exif.

I managed to get gnome-session-2.14.2 and all the dependencies to
build (updated about two dozen ports so far, list is below).
gnome-session starts (I'm in it now, typing this in Firefox). Other
apps I've tested successfully are gnome-terminal, Gaim, Freeciv and
NMapFE. Nautilus does not work (trying to start it locks up most of
the buttons on the gnome-panel). I'm pretty sure I know why that
happens, and hope to have it fixed today.

I have to go through each one of the ports and make sure that the
plists and all the dependencies are fine. I had to do some ugly things
to get some of the packages to install (my development box was a mess
to start with), as I was mainly concerned with getting gnome-session
to build.

I'm going to try to post my diffs by tomorrow night, otherwise they'll
have to wait until the middle of next week (I'm going camping in the
mean-time).

Marius

//mts

list of updates:

gnome-session-2.10.0 -> 2.14.2
gnome-applets-2.10.1 -> 2.14.2
control-center-2.10.2 -> 2.14.2
gnome-panel-2.10.2 -> 2.14.2
gnome-terminal-2.10.0 -> 2.14.2
gnome-themes-2.10.1 -> 2.14.2
gnome-menus-2.10.2 -> 2.14.0
gail-1.8.5 -> 1.8.11
libgnomeui-2.10. -> 2.14.1
libbonoboui-2.10.1 -> 2.14.0
libgnome-2.10.0 -> 2.14.1
gnome-vfs-2.10.1 -> 2.14.2
libgnomecanvas-2.10.2 -> 2.14.0
libbonobo-2.10.1 -> 2.14.0
gnome-keyring-0.4.4 -> 0.5.1
gnome-desktop-2.10.2 -> 2.14.2
metacity-2.10.3 -> 2.14.5
nautilus-2.10.1 -> 2.14.1
eel-2.10.1 -> 2.14.1

devel/gconf2-2.10.1 -> 2.14.0
devel/libwnck-2.10.0 -> 2.14.2
devel/ORBit2-2.12.2 -> 2.14.0

Re: a question about KDE

marius-6
On 6/21/06, Mike Marcott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Marius,
>
> Excellent!! Keep up the great work!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words, but I don't know how happy you will be when
you see the finished product. My main concern has been with getting
gnome-session to install and to start. It ain't pretty.

>I love my OpenBSD boxes, but want
> to use more of the mainstream apps including a current version of
> GNOME. This should make OpenBSD more useable for desktop environments
> too!

As it stands now, Gnome 2.14 is somewhat usable. At last count, I have
updated 22 ports to the most recent versions, but there are others
that are getting pulled in that I haven't gotten to yet. Nautilus is
not working because of a missing function definition which probably is
in one of them.

I haven't run Gnome in a couple of years, sticking to Fluxbox and Ion,
so I've got a steep learning curve happening here.

I'm running up against an immovable deadline (I've been planinng this
trip for 3 years), but I will have something posted tonight. I'll get
back to working on the ports when I return.

Marius