a half-baked analysis of the verification chicken-and-egg problem, and request

Re: [Bulk] Re: a half-baked analysis of the verification chicken-and-egg problem, and request

Eric Furman-3
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 05:36 PM, Worik Stanton wrote:

> On 13/08/14 22:13, Eric Furman wrote:
> [snip]>
> > The most absolutely best way any one can contribute to OBSD
> > is to BUY CD'S. Buy some cd's and then buy some more.
> > Buy them for the stickers. Buy them because they fund OBSD.
> > Without cd sales OBSD would cease to exist.
> > It is as simple as that. So, BUY CD'S!
> > That is worth repeating;
> > Without CD sales OpenBSD will cease to exist. PERIOD.
> > Contrary to what a lot of you assholes think
>
> I would rather have a 5.5 T'shirt.
>
> I am new and when I am ready I will be back here asking questions but
> for now, I do not want a CD (totally useless to me) but a T'shirt would
> be cool.  It would cover my nakedness.
>
> Looking on http://www.openbsd.org/tshirts.html I can see no 5.5 T'shirt.
>
> Actually given that today I am at home because of snow on the  Lieth
> Saddle a 5.5 merino hoodie would be best. It would cover my nakedness
> and keep me warm(er)

Fine, buy a T-shirt, but realize that only a small fraction of the cost
actually goes to OpenBSD. When you buy a CD the vast majority
of the cost goes to OpenBSD. Who cares whether you need the
CD or not. Buy if for the cool stickers. Throw the CD in the trash
for all I and the OpenBSD developers care.

Re: [Bulk] Re: a half-baked analysis of the verification chicken-and-egg problem, and request

Carl Trachte
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Eric Furman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 05:36 PM, Worik Stanton wrote:
>> On 13/08/14 22:13, Eric Furman wrote:
>> [snip]>
>> > The most absolutely best way any one can contribute to OBSD
>> > is to BUY CD'S. Buy some cd's and then buy some more.
>> > Buy them for the stickers. Buy them because they fund OBSD.
>> > Without cd sales OBSD would cease to exist.
>> > It is as simple as that. So, BUY CD'S!
>> > That is worth repeating;
>> > Without CD sales OpenBSD will cease to exist. PERIOD.
>> > Contrary to what a lot of you assholes think
>>
>> I would rather have a 5.5 T'shirt.
>>
>> I am new and when I am ready I will be back here asking questions but
>> for now, I do not want a CD (totally useless to me) but a T'shirt would
>> be cool.  It would cover my nakedness.
>>
>> Looking on http://www.openbsd.org/tshirts.html I can see no 5.5 T'shirt.
>>
>> Actually given that today I am at home because of snow on the  Lieth
>> Saddle a 5.5 merino hoodie would be best. It would cover my nakedness
>> and keep me warm(er)
>
> Fine, buy a T-shirt, but realize that only a small fraction of the cost
> actually goes to OpenBSD. When you buy a CD the vast majority
> of the cost goes to OpenBSD. Who cares whether you need the
> CD or not. Buy if for the cool stickers. Throw the CD in the trash
> for all I and the OpenBSD developers care.

For people earning decent money, $100 a year really isn't much. I've
always failed to see why this is such a big deal. I'd prefer not to
flame, but if you're a dev and a sysadmin earning decent money, or
just someone who uses OpenBSD (like me) and earns OK money, if you
refuse to kick in $50 every six months, you probably shouldn't be
posting to this list.
My OpenBSD knowledge is weak, but I've always had good luck here. I
like the OS; it's simple. For me the continued development of the OS
and this list are more than worth the $50 every six months.

My 2 cents.

Puff on!

Donations to OpenBSD

Worik Stanton
I changed the subject line....

On 14/08/14 10:52, Eric Furman wrote:
> Fine, buy a T-shirt, but realize that only a small fraction of the cost
> actually goes to OpenBSD. When you buy a CD the vast majority
> of the cost goes to OpenBSD. Who cares whether you need the
> CD or not. Buy if for the cool stickers. Throw the CD in the trash
> for all I and the OpenBSD developers care.

Respectfully I find that a bit offensive.  Ask me for a donation if you
want.  But do not expect me to by an object to be manufactured, shipped
1/3 of the way around the globe and then I'll through it in the trash.
Not cool at all.

OpenBSD is, it seems, very cool and worth supporting.  I am
investigating using the mechanism detailed in
http://www.openbsd.org/bank-donation.html...

Looking at https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order there seems to be no
difference in CDs and T'Shirts in so far as where the money goes.  I do
understand from conversations I have had that there is a difference.

Lastly: IMO It is time to change.  CDs are no longer useful.  I have
OpenBSD on a VPS so stickers are a waste of time too.  I would like to
donate some money, but it is not easy.  I would like to know for sure
that the money goes to the project.  For expenses or to developers, who
spend so much time on this, to spend on whatever they want (beer, fish,
little rubber balls...) But I will not buy things I cannot use.

Worik

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
       [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

patrick keshishian
On 8/13/14, Worik Stanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I changed the subject line....
>
> On 14/08/14 10:52, Eric Furman wrote:
>> Fine, buy a T-shirt, but realize that only a small fraction of the cost
>> actually goes to OpenBSD. When you buy a CD the vast majority
>> of the cost goes to OpenBSD. Who cares whether you need the
>> CD or not. Buy if for the cool stickers. Throw the CD in the trash
>> for all I and the OpenBSD developers care.
>
> Respectfully I find that a bit offensive.  Ask me for a donation if you
> want.  But do not expect me to by an object to be manufactured, shipped
> 1/3 of the way around the globe and then I'll through it in the trash.
> Not cool at all.

You can do what I do. I purchase the CDs but request
the vendor not to send me the actual, physical CDs. That's
my preferred donation method.

Cheers,
--patrick

> OpenBSD is, it seems, very cool and worth supporting.  I am
> investigating using the mechanism detailed in
> http://www.openbsd.org/bank-donation.html...
>
> Looking at https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order there seems to be no
> difference in CDs and T'Shirts in so far as where the money goes.  I do
> understand from conversations I have had that there is a difference.
>
> Lastly: IMO It is time to change.  CDs are no longer useful.  I have
> OpenBSD on a VPS so stickers are a waste of time too.  I would like to
> donate some money, but it is not easy.  I would like to know for sure
> that the money goes to the project.  For expenses or to developers, who
> spend so much time on this, to spend on whatever they want (beer, fish,
> little rubber balls...) But I will not buy things I cannot use.
>
> Worik
>

> --
> Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
>        [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
>                           Aotearoa (New Zealand)
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which
> had a name of signature.asc]

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Theo de Raadt
>Respectfully I find that a bit offensive.  Ask me for a donation if you
>want.  But do not expect me to by an object to be manufactured, shipped
>1/3 of the way around the globe and then I'll through it in the trash.
>Not cool at all.

Then find another way to ensure that OpenBSD persists in the future.

Come on, the web pages regarding donations are more than clear about
how things work.  Refer to http://www.openbsd.org/donations.html.
There is a Foundation following government imposed rules.  There is a
Project, which is not a corporation, so that the Foundation can help
it.  There is a clear separation.  Then there is a guy in Calgary who
has no other job because herding roughly 100 people into making a
high-quality release every 6 month (on the clock) doesn't allow time
for another job.

It sounds like you can put sentences together to form paragraphs, so I
bet you and others can figure this out.

If you want this almost 20 year old thing to be sustained further,
find a way of your own that you think will sustain it.  Otherwise it
sounds like you are digging for excuses.

The Foundation is doing a great job these days covering most of the
costs of the project (see their web pages for a list of what they have
funded over the last 3 years).  But the Foundation does not cover my
time.  And I will not spend my time begging.  Nor would most of you.

>OpenBSD is, it seems, very cool and worth supporting.  I am
>investigating using the mechanism detailed in
>http://www.openbsd.org/bank-donation.html...

That is a mechanism that funds the Project directly.  I dig into this
to cover expenses for the Project that the Foundation does not cover,
in particular when they occur in Europe (obviously).  Does anyone find
fault with this?

>Looking at https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order there seems to be no
>difference in CDs and T'Shirts in so far as where the money goes.  I do
>understand from conversations I have had that there is a difference.

Well OBVIOUSLY CDs accumulate more revenue than T-shirts, so recently
we've not made any T-shirts because it isn't worth it, the setup costs
and overheads are higher than the number sold.  If you guys don't buy
enough of them, then we don't do the setup.

Other than that, there is no difference to you, expect that I would guess
you don't buy any, and you don't fund the Project or the Foundation,
and all of this is idle chatter.

>Lastly: IMO It is time to change.  CDs are no longer useful.  I have
>OpenBSD on a VPS so stickers are a waste of time too.

Thanks for the advice.  Does your advice change anything?  NO!  It
changes NOTHING.  That is the kind of advice that comes off close to
telling us to give up and die.

>I would like to donate some money, but it is not easy.

Not easy?  That statement is totally false.  You found the web page.
And the Foundation takes paypal, even off a credit card.  Not easy?

>I would like to know for sure >that the money goes to the project.
>For expenses or to developers, who spend so much time on this, to
>spend on whatever they want (beer, fish, little rubber balls...) But
>I will not buy things I cannot use.

You use software we've produced for almost 20 years, without cost,
then you think you can saunter in here and demand greater transparancy?

Why don't you show your bank accounts...

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Worik Stanton
On 14/08/14 11:45, patrick keshishian wrote:
> You can do what I do. I purchase the CDs but request
> the vendor not to send me the actual, physical CDs. That's
> my preferred donation method.

Cool.  Where does the money all go in that case?  Definitely the most
simple option so far.

How does it compare for using the SWIFT method outlined on the website?

Worik
--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
       [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
                          Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Theo de Raadt
> On 14/08/14 11:45, patrick keshishian wrote:
> > You can do what I do. I purchase the CDs but request
> > the vendor not to send me the actual, physical CDs. That's
> > my preferred donation method.
>
> Cool.  Where does the money all go in that case?  Definitely the most
> simple option so far.

A good portion of the CD sales pays me a salary, as I do the release
engineering throughout the year.  Obviously there are overheads in
doing a production & sales & shipping operation, so the word portion
is correct.

As to what the salary pays, well basically it means 4.5 months of
making sure the development process doesn't take too many risks and go
off the rails, and 1.5 months of producing the release.  A release
which is ready for the internet, but also ready to go onto the CDs --
which even today act as a significant "control" to make sure we don't
do bat shit crazy stuff like bloat the code.

Then, repeat; 36 or so times in a row so far.

Anyone want to volunteer to take over the release process?

During that entire process, I coordinate and participate in the
security ideas our project is famous for.

> How does it compare for using the SWIFT method outlined on the website?

The SWIFT donations go to the Project.  That is spent on things which
the Foundation doesn't pay for.

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Worik Stanton
On 14/08/14 11:55, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Well OBVIOUSLY CDs accumulate more revenue than T-shirts, so recently
> we've not made any T-shirts because it isn't worth it, the setup costs
> and overheads are higher than the number sold.  If you guys don't buy
> enough of them, then we don't do the setup.
>
> Other than that, there is no difference to you, expect that I would guess
> you don't buy any, and you don't fund the Project or the Foundation,
> and all of this is idle chatter.

Nope.

I have a Blow Fish T'shirt from years gone by.  I bought a CD back then
too.  It was useful then.

I fully get the set-up costs of T'shirts.  That is a shame but if it is
too much work I can go naked.

Definitely not idle chatter.  I am interested in getting beer into your
fridge or biscuits into your dog or whatever.

Absolutely not idle chatter!

Suggestion:  Package the release notes, FAQ and some other documentation
into a PDF and sell that at the same price as the CD, from the same
place.  I'd buy that.  It would be better quality than the (often) crap
O'Reilly sell, and I buy that.

Not idle chatter.  Finding efficient ways to get you money given the date.

Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
       [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
                          Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

patrick keshishian
On 8/13/14, Worik Stanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 14/08/14 11:45, patrick keshishian wrote:
>> You can do what I do. I purchase the CDs but request
>> the vendor not to send me the actual, physical CDs. That's
>> my preferred donation method.
>
> Cool.  Where does the money all go in that case?  Definitely the most
> simple option so far.

I believe it goes to the project, no different than if I had received
the CDs.

> How does it compare for using the SWIFT method outlined on the website?

I'm not familiar that method, therefore, I can't comment.

Best,
--patrick

> Worik
> --
> Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
>        [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
>                           Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Theo de Raadt
> Suggestion:  Package the release notes, FAQ and some other documentation
> into a PDF and sell that at the same price as the CD, from the same
> place.  I'd buy that.  It would be better quality than the (often) crap
> O'Reilly sell, and I buy that.

We should do more...  Then you'll give us more....

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

h410g3n
I just donated money to pay for the developer's time in responding to
this useless thread. =P

Theo de Raadt:
>> Suggestion:  Package the release notes, FAQ and some other documentation
>> into a PDF and sell that at the same price as the CD, from the same
>> place.  I'd buy that.  It would be better quality than the (often) crap
>> O'Reilly sell, and I buy that.
>
> We should do more...  Then you'll give us more....

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Dag Richards
Seems pretty easy to make donations.
Send money. Don't want a CD? OK, Send money.

The documentation is already provided, the FAQ is an excellent codicil
to the man pages.  No need for a PDF really.
There is a clear need for money.

Demonstrate your willingness and interest to contribute by ...
contributing.

The free suggestions are not as useful as money.
Send some money, then sit back enjoy the software and be generally quiet.

Every now and again we get to watch Theo go off on someone, its fun even
though I kinda worry about him bursting a vein at us.

Theo de Raadt wrote:
>> Suggestion:  Package the release notes, FAQ and some other documentation
>> into a PDF and sell that at the same price as the CD, from the same
>> place.  I'd buy that.  It would be better quality than the (often) crap
>> O'Reilly sell, and I buy that.
>
> We should do more...  Then you'll give us more....

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Dan Farrell-2
Then buy the damn CD and have it shipped to Theo.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Worik Stanton <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I changed the subject line....
>
> On 14/08/14 10:52, Eric Furman wrote:
> > Fine, buy a T-shirt, but realize that only a small fraction of the cost
> > actually goes to OpenBSD. When you buy a CD the vast majority
> > of the cost goes to OpenBSD. Who cares whether you need the
> > CD or not. Buy if for the cool stickers. Throw the CD in the trash
> > for all I and the OpenBSD developers care.
>
> Respectfully I find that a bit offensive.  Ask me for a donation if you
> want.  But do not expect me to by an object to be manufactured, shipped
> 1/3 of the way around the globe and then I'll through it in the trash.
> Not cool at all.
>
> OpenBSD is, it seems, very cool and worth supporting.  I am
> investigating using the mechanism detailed in
> http://www.openbsd.org/bank-donation.html...
>
> Looking at https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order there seems to be no
> difference in CDs and T'Shirts in so far as where the money goes.  I do
> understand from conversations I have had that there is a difference.
>
> Lastly: IMO It is time to change.  CDs are no longer useful.  I have
> OpenBSD on a VPS so stickers are a waste of time too.  I would like to
> donate some money, but it is not easy.  I would like to know for sure
> that the money goes to the project.  For expenses or to developers, who
> spend so much time on this, to spend on whatever they want (beer, fish,
> little rubber balls...) But I will not buy things I cannot use.
>
> Worik
>

> --
> Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
>        [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
>                           Aotearoa (New Zealand)
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature
> which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Bernd Schoeller-2
On 14/08/14 01:10, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>> How does it compare for using the SWIFT method outlined on the website?
>
> The SWIFT donations go to the Project.  That is spent on things which
> the Foundation doesn't pay for.

Gee - CDs, T-Shirts, Project, Foundation - all this discussion starts to
confuse me.

Theo, I am planning to donate, but I am loosing my understanding of the
optimal way.

Could you please just clarify: I have money and I want that to go to the
OpenBSD project. I would like as much as possible to make it there (from
the UK in my case), I would like to give the OpenBSD people the highest
degree of freedom of what to do with it, and don't need any physical
gadgets to go with it. What is the optimal way to achieve this?

Thanks,
Bernd

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Janne Johansson-3
Talk to www.openbsdeurope.com, which happens to be in the UK.
I'm sure they can arrange for donations in a simple-for-you way even if you
don't need a product back.

> On 14/08/14 01:10, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> >> How does it compare for using the SWIFT method outlined on the website?
> >
> > The SWIFT donations go to the Project.  That is spent on things which
> > the Foundation doesn't pay for.
>
> Gee - CDs, T-Shirts, Project, Foundation - all this discussion starts to
> confuse me.
>
> Theo, I am planning to donate, but I am loosing my understanding of the
> optimal way.
>
> Could you please just clarify: I have money and I want that to go to the
> OpenBSD project. I would like as much as possible to make it there (from
> the UK in my case), I would like to give the OpenBSD people the highest
> degree of freedom of what to do with it, and don't need any physical
> gadgets to go with it. What is the optimal way to achieve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernd

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Andy Lemin
We've found this strangely difficult to do also.. Just want to donate,
don't want stuff in return, don't want middle men taking a cut..

On 14/08/14 09:59, Janne Johansson wrote:

> Talk to www.openbsdeurope.com, which happens to be in the UK.
> I'm sure they can arrange for donations in a simple-for-you way even if you
> don't need a product back.

>>> The SWIFT donations go to the Project.  That is spent on things which
>>> the Foundation doesn't pay for.
>> Gee - CDs, T-Shirts, Project, Foundation - all this discussion starts to
>> confuse me.
>>
>> Theo, I am planning to donate, but I am loosing my understanding of the
>> optimal way.
>>
>> Could you please just clarify: I have money and I want that to go to the
>> OpenBSD project. I would like as much as possible to make it there (from
>> the UK in my case), I would like to give the OpenBSD people the highest
>> degree of freedom of what to do with it, and don't need any physical
>> gadgets to go with it. What is the optimal way to achieve this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bernd

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Peter Hessler

1) cash in envelope, put into mail
2) bank cheque in envelope, put in mail
3) suck it up, and stop caring about the middle man's cut
4) bank transfers (also: see #3)
5) fly to canada with a suitcase of money
6) bank transfers to the EUROPEAN bank
7) OpenBSD Foundatation

On 2014 Aug 14 (Thu) at 10:02:42 +0100 (+0100), Andy wrote:
:We've found this strangely difficult to do also.. Just want to donate, don't
:want stuff in return, don't want middle men taking a cut..
:
:
:On 14/08/14 09:59, Janne Johansson wrote:
:>Talk to www.openbsdeurope.com, which happens to be in the UK.
:>I'm sure they can arrange for donations in a simple-for-you way even if you
:>don't need a product back.
:>
:>
:>
:>2014-08-14 8:16 GMT+02:00 Bernte <[hidden email]>:
:>
:>>On 14/08/14 01:10, Theo de Raadt wrote:
:>>>>How does it compare for using the SWIFT method outlined on the website?
:>>>The SWIFT donations go to the Project.  That is spent on things which
:>>>the Foundation doesn't pay for.
:>>Gee - CDs, T-Shirts, Project, Foundation - all this discussion starts to
:>>confuse me.
:>>
:>>Theo, I am planning to donate, but I am loosing my understanding of the
:>>optimal way.
:>>
:>>Could you please just clarify: I have money and I want that to go to the
:>>OpenBSD project. I would like as much as possible to make it there (from
:>>the UK in my case), I would like to give the OpenBSD people the highest
:>>degree of freedom of what to do with it, and don't need any physical
:>>gadgets to go with it. What is the optimal way to achieve this?
:>>
:>>Thanks,
:>>Bernd
:

--
Democracy is good.  I say this because other systems are worse.
                -- Jawaharlal Nehru

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Norman Gray
Greetings.

On 2014 Aug 14, at 01:10, Worik Stanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Suggestion:  Package the release notes, FAQ and some other documentation
> into a PDF and sell that at the same price as the CD, from the same
> place.  I'd buy that.  It would be better quality than the (often) crap
> O'Reilly sell, and I buy that.

This is potentially quite a good idea.

The T-shirts and CDs exist because (a) some people find them useful in themselves, and (b) some people prefer or find it more convenient to buy a physical thing they don't intend to use, as a means of making an indirect donation to the project.  This of course is discussed at length in the rest of this thread.

There's precedent for such a physical book being sellable.  The Python Reference Manual [1] is a dead-tree version of the language and library description also available for free at [2].  There's clearly some story about the various reasons why people buy that, but it's clear that at least some do.  I have considered doing so myself -- a paper document is superior to an on-screen one in some circumstances -- but in the end found it more convenient to print out selected sections of the downloaded PDF.

Places like lulu.com will put a PDF on paper for you and sell/ship the result.  I've no idea of the economic details of that, or alternatives to lulu, but such services do exist.

I'm not making any promises here, but given mild encouragement I'd be very willing to take a look at how complicated it would be to turn the existing text or texts into a readable PDF (I've done this sort of thing before, and could probably do it fairly efficiently).

However it's not obvious to me where the source of the FAQ is.  The HTML is at [3] and there's a plain-text version at [4], but I presume these are generated from some other common source.  The latter says that "The FAQ is available in text form in the pub/OpenBSD/doc directory from many FTP mirrors", but I wasn't able to turn that into an actual URL, or a location on <http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/>.

All the best,

Norman

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Python-Language-Reference-Manual/dp/1906966141/
[2] https://docs.python.org/3/download.html
[3] http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html
[4] http://www.openbsd.org/faq/obsd-faq.txt

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk

Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Nicolai-8
On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 07:16:41AM +0100, Bernte wrote:
> Could you please just clarify: I have money and I want that to go to the
> OpenBSD project. I would like as much as possible to make it there (from
> the UK in my case), I would like to give the OpenBSD people the highest
> degree of freedom of what to do with it, and don't need any physical
> gadgets to go with it. What is the optimal way to achieve this?

The OpenBSD Foundation.

http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html

Theo has mentioned it several times this year as being the preferred
route.  It's as simple as possible.

Nicolai

Re: [Bulk] Re: Donations to OpenBSD

Kevin Chadwick-2
previously on this list Nicolai contributed:

> The OpenBSD Foundation.
>
> http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html
>
> Theo has mentioned it several times this year as being the preferred
> route.  It's as simple as possible.

Another idea I guess with next to no work- high res copies of the
stickers, paid for download at CD price.

To fund the project yes but CD's are THE? route to fund Theo's ongoing
full-time dedication.

Cheque - more work than online so less likely?
cash - risk, more work than online so less likely, knowing he actually
got it?

I guess Theo could publish his sort code and account number, are gifts
tax free in Canada?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)