Xorg always crashes after tty switch

autosend

I have had this occur on both FreeBSD and OpenBSD, with slightly different
Intel Atom processors.

Switching TTY is generally problem-free.
Once Xorg is running on a TTY, switching away from that TTY to a console TTY
causes no problems.
However, switching from console TTY to an Xorg TTY causes the entire system to
crash, with a crazy glitch-looking mix of colours on the screen, sometimes pink,
sometimes blue, etc.

Note this doesn't happen when starting Xorg, either.
So the only way to switch from console TTY back to Xorg TTY without crashing, is
to run:
rcctl stop xenodm
rcctl -f start xenodm

When I have checked in the past there have been no indicating logs in Xorg,
probably because of the crash. There is no response to keyboard/mouse input once
it has crashed, so nothing more can be done other than a hard reset.

I can only think using a serial port might offer a route for diagnostics.

Any suggestions? I could live with bug, but it is time-wasting nuisance.

Re: Xorg always crashes after tty switch

Matthieu Herrb-7
On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 02:19:02PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have had this occur on both FreeBSD and OpenBSD, with slightly different
> Intel Atom processors.
>
> Switching TTY is generally problem-free.
> Once Xorg is running on a TTY, switching away from that TTY to a console TTY
> causes no problems.
> However, switching from console TTY to an Xorg TTY causes the entire system to
> crash, with a crazy glitch-looking mix of colours on the screen, sometimes pink,
> sometimes blue, etc.
>
> Note this doesn't happen when starting Xorg, either.
> So the only way to switch from console TTY back to Xorg TTY without crashing, is
> to run:
> rcctl stop xenodm
> rcctl -f start xenodm
>
> When I have checked in the past there have been no indicating logs in Xorg,
> probably because of the crash. There is no response to keyboard/mouse input once
> it has crashed, so nothing more can be done other than a hard reset.
>
> I can only think using a serial port might offer a route for diagnostics.
>
> Any suggestions? I could live with bug, but it is time-wasting nuisance.

Hi,

start by sending a proper bug report, ie. include dmesg,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log outputs,...
See https://www.openbsd.org/report.html for details.

Next /usr/xenocara/README[1] has some hints on how to get
a core file out of the X server. Please try to get one an
extract a stack trace using gdb from ports.

[1] https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/xenocara/README?rev=1.42&content-type=text/plain
--
Matthieu Herrb