Xerox Phaser printing with CUPS

Jonathan Drews-3
I am posting this to help others with setting up CUPS printing on
OpenBSD. I bought a Xerox wireless color laser printer, a Phaser
6022. Being wireless gets around the USB difficulties.

Here are the steps I took:

1) Install the CUPS package.
2) Add the following line to your /etc/rc.conf.local file:
pkg_scripts=cupsd. Reboot the computer to make sure CUPS is
running.
3) From the CD that came with my Phaser 6022, I removed the file
xerox-phaser-6022_1.0-22_all.deb.
4) This is an archive file. It contains your *.ppd. Do
$ ar x xerox-phaser-6022_1.0-22_all.deb
(See man (1) ar)
5) After extraction you will see data.tar.gz. That tarball
contains
the Xerox_Phaser_6022.ppd.
6) Move Xerox_Phaser_6022.ppd to /root.
7) Start a web browser and point it to "http://localhost:631"
8) Select add a printer and login. I had to use my user account to
login. Logging in as root would not work.
9) Since there is no entry for Xerox, load the
Xerox_Phaser_6022.ppd.

I tested the printing and it works with the commannd line
/usr/local/bin/lpr
and it printed just fine. I also printed from LibreOffic and it
worked fine too. You have to use the absolute path name
/usr/local/bin/lpr, /usr/local/bin/lprm, /usr/local/bin/lpq and
/usr/local/bin/lp to print with CUPS.

Re: Xerox Phaser printing with CUPS

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-09-06, Jonathan Drews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                  You have to use the absolute path name
> /usr/local/bin/lpr, /usr/local/bin/lprm, /usr/local/bin/lpq and
> /usr/local/bin/lp to print with CUPS.

I don't like the extra typing so I have this in .kshrc :

for i in dig lpq lpr lprm; do
        alias $i=/usr/local/bin/$i
done

On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 09:51:47PM -0400, Ian Darwin wrote:

> Nice post but:
>
> On 9/5/19 20:41, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> > 2) Add the following line to your /etc/rc.conf.local file:
> > pkg_scripts=cupsd.
>
> No need to manually edit that. Just do
>
> ?????? doas rcctl enable cupsd
>
> > Reboot the computer to make sure CUPS is
> > running.
>
> No need to reboot at that point. Just do:
>
> ?????? doas rcctl start cupsd

I used the above configuration because the man page for rc.conf.local
said to. From man (8) rc.conf:

EXAMPLES
     Do not start the dhcpd(8) daemon when booting the system:

           dhcpd_flags=NO
    .
    .
 Run /etc/rc.d/messagebus then /etc/rc.d/cupsd with the start
argument at
     boot time, and in reverse order with the stop argument at
shutdown:

           pkg_scripts=messagebus cupsd

I don't use the message bus so I just used:
pkg_scripts=cupsd

I use the advice of the man pages first and foremost.

My main purpose in posting this was to show you where to get the
*.ppd file. The other steps are just for context.

On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 12:57:07PM +0100, Raf Czlonka wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Doesn't the printer work with base lpd? Is CUPS necessary?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Raf

 I tried CUPS first and it discovered my printers IP address
automatically. Plus LibreOffice printed documents with CUPS
without needing any print configuration. I printed some
spreadsheets out. They turned out fine.