Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950) Setup/Doability

Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950) Setup/Doability

Falk Husemann-2
Hello again says an old AWS95!

It's one of Apples fastest 68k machines, as you all probably know.
I'd like to get OpenBSD 3.9 running on this machine and put it on the
Internet.

It's not possible to use ADB, it says. So: How exactly do I install
BSD? Is there a serial console waiting for me somewhere?

I could attach a Terminal to both serial ports.

Thank in advance,
Falk

Re: Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950) Setup/Doability

Martin Reindl-3
Falk Husemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again says an old AWS95!
>
> It's one of Apples fastest 68k machines, as you all probably know.
> I'd like to get OpenBSD 3.9 running on this machine and put it on the
> Internet.
>
> It's not possible to use ADB, it says. So: How exactly do I install
> BSD? Is there a serial console waiting for me somewhere?

That's exactly how to do it. Use either the modem or printer port in
the back, make sure it is also set in the Booter.

You might also want to wait for 4.0, because of the improved install
procedure.

Re: Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950) Setup/Doability

Falk Husemann-2
Hi Martin!

On Oct 9, 2006, at 8:01 PM, Martin Reindl wrote:

> That's exactly how to do it. Use either the modem or printer port in
> the back, make sure it is also set in the Booter.
>
> You might also want to wait for 4.0, because of the improved install
> procedure.

It's a project for this week, so I'll upgrade the machine if 4.0 is
out. It'll have it's own dsl-line.

Do you know any problems with mac68k which should stop me from using
it on the AWS95?
And: If it's up and running could this old beast help OpenBSD mac68k
development in any way?
I could hand out shell accounts to trustworthy people.

Greets,
Falk

Re: Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950) Setup/Doability

Martin Reindl-3
Falk Husemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martin!
>
> On Oct 9, 2006, at 8:01 PM, Martin Reindl wrote:
>
> > That's exactly how to do it. Use either the modem or printer port in
> > the back, make sure it is also set in the Booter.
> >
> > You might also want to wait for 4.0, because of the improved install
> > procedure.
>

> It's a project for this week, so I'll upgrade the machine if 4.0 is
> out. It'll have it's own dsl-line.
>
> Do you know any problems with mac68k which should stop me from using
> it on the AWS95?
> And: If it's up and running could this old beast help OpenBSD mac68k
> development in any way?

Various people, including myself, are running these beasts already.

Re: Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950) Setup/Doability

Matt Radtke
> > Do you know any problems with mac68k which should
> stop me from using
> > it on the AWS95?
> > And: If it's up and running could this old beast
> help OpenBSD mac68k
> > development in any way?
>
> Various people, including myself, are running these
> beasts already.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to
remove the AWS 'personality card' fromt the PDS slot.
This card only works under A/UX.  Removing the
personality card turns it into a regular Mac,
esentially the same as a Quadra 950.

Of course, if you actually have said AWS card, there
is almost certainly someone who would be willing to
buy this computer from you to run A/UX.

-Matt
http://mail.yahoo.com

Matt Radtke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Do you know any problems with mac68k which should
> > stop me from using
> > > it on the AWS95?
> > > And: If it's up and running could this old beast
> > help OpenBSD mac68k
> > > development in any way?
> >
> > Various people, including myself, are running these
> > beasts already.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to
> remove the AWS 'personality card' fromt the PDS slot.
> This card only works under A/UX.  Removing the
> personality card turns it into a regular Mac,
> esentially the same as a Quadra 950.

My Q950 came with a PPC601 PDS card, it's necessary to remove any PDS
cards, correct. Without PDS cards, there is no difference between the
AWS95 and the Q950. Only the marketing name is different.

Maybe it should be mentioned on mac68k.html.

> Of course, if you actually have said AWS card, there
> is almost certainly someone who would be willing to
> buy this computer from you to run A/UX.

Re: Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950) Setup/Doability

Falk Husemann
Sorry, wasn't subscribed (even though I sent the magic mail)

To answer Matts question. Yes, it  has this "cool" super fast
personality card. I'd be willing to swap it for something useful for
the AWS95 if it really doesn't work under OpenBSD.

Despite that is there any documentation concerning optimizing OpenBSD
for use on these machines?

Greets,
Falk