Wireless once again being a pain, this time ipw

Wireless once again being a pain, this time ipw

Edd Barrett
Hi,

I have an X31 which I have installed -current on. It has an ipw card:
ipw0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0 "Intel PRO/Wireless 2100" rev 0x04: irq 11

Its function seems to work for a while, then I get:
Sep 24 15:22:35 x31 /bsd: ipw0: fatal firmware error
Sep 24 15:22:36 x31 /bsd: ipw0: timeout waiting for disabled state
Sep 24 15:22:36 x31 /bsd: ipw0: association failed (error=35)
Sep 24 15:22:37 x31 /bsd: ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)

Which you must reboot for. I'm not sure scanning for AP's is working
correctly either as it scrolls up many times:
ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)

I'm not having much luck with wireless support on OpenBSD :(

Is it the firmware which is at fault? Can the firmware be flushed are reloaded?

I have a wi(4) which I will try when I get a chance. (and yes tpwireless).

--

Best Regards

Edd

http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Re: Wireless once again being a pain, this time ipw

Pierre Riteau-3
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:51:00PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an X31 which I have installed -current on. It has an ipw card:
> ipw0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0 "Intel PRO/Wireless 2100" rev 0x04: irq 11
>
> Its function seems to work for a while, then I get:
> Sep 24 15:22:35 x31 /bsd: ipw0: fatal firmware error
> Sep 24 15:22:36 x31 /bsd: ipw0: timeout waiting for disabled state
> Sep 24 15:22:36 x31 /bsd: ipw0: association failed (error=35)
> Sep 24 15:22:37 x31 /bsd: ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
>
> Which you must reboot for. I'm not sure scanning for AP's is working
> correctly either as it scrolls up many times:
> ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
> ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
> ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
>
> I'm not having much luck with wireless support on OpenBSD :(
>
> Is it the firmware which is at fault? Can the firmware be flushed are reloaded?
>
> I have a wi(4) which I will try when I get a chance. (and yes tpwireless).
>
> --
>
> Best Regards
>
> Edd
>
> http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

This could be the same problem than Linux users are seeing:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/9/21/3358724

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Pierre Riteau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This could be the same problem than Linux users are seeing:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/9/21/3358724

This is not good especially as I have opened the back plate on my X31
to find no mini-pci slot to put my wi in. It must be soldered on
board.

--

Best Regards

Edd

http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Re: Wireless once again being a pain, this time ipw

STeve Andre'
On Wednesday 24 September 2008 13:39:54 Edd Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Pierre Riteau <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> > This could be the same problem than Linux users are seeing:
> > http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/9/21/3358724
>
> This is not good especially as I have opened the back plate on my X31
> to find no mini-pci slot to put my wi in. It must be soldered on
> board.

Edd, are you familiar with the tabook and associated PDFs from
IBM/Lenovo?  They're a complete list of ALL thinkpads, and what
is in each model.

Looking at the first X31 in the tawbook (the withdrawn book), I
see that the X31 does have a mini-PCI card.  It might not be
where you'd expect to see it, however, owing to its size.  There
are many X31's so you'll have to look there to be sure.

These files are at ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/ .
They are well worth having, when you want to know something
about a ThinkPad.

--STeve Andre'

Re: Wireless once again being a pain, this time ipw

Ido Admon-4
That's me some 3 weeks ago:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=122099826019882&w=2
In short, it's the exact same situation (X31, IPW2100 etc.).
As detailed in my original message, there's a sort of workaround:
ifconfig ipw0 up first and them try rescanning. Usually works for me,
but still need to restart once in a while.
Good luck,
Ido

> Hi,
>
> I have an X31 which I have installed -current on. It has an ipw card:
> ipw0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0 "Intel PRO/Wireless 2100" rev 0x04: irq 11
>
> Its function seems to work for a while, then I get:
> Sep 24 15:22:35 x31 /bsd: ipw0: fatal firmware error
> Sep 24 15:22:36 x31 /bsd: ipw0: timeout waiting for disabled state
> Sep 24 15:22:36 x31 /bsd: ipw0: association failed (error=35)
> Sep 24 15:22:37 x31 /bsd: ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
>
> Which you must reboot for. I'm not sure scanning for AP's is working
> correctly either as it scrolls up many times:
> ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
> ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
> ipw0: scan request failed (error=35)
>
> I'm not having much luck with wireless support on OpenBSD :(
>
> Is it the firmware which is at fault? Can the firmware be flushed are reloaded?
>
> I have a wi(4) which I will try when I get a chance. (and yes tpwireless).
>
> --
>
> Best Regards
>
> Edd
>
> http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Re: Wireless once again being a pain, this time ipw

Dan Harnett-2
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:39:54PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Pierre Riteau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This could be the same problem than Linux users are seeing:
> > http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/9/21/3358724
> >

> This is not good especially as I have opened the back plate on my X31
> to find no mini-pci slot to put my wi in. It must be soldered on
> board.

It's under the keyboard on the X31 and relatively easy to get to.  The
hardware maintenance manual has full instructions.

  ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/39t6189.pdf

I use a SparkLAN WMIR-215GN mini-pci card (Ralink RT2860) in my X31 and
am pretty happy with it.  It seems to be well supported and performs
very good.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Dan Harnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's under the keyboard on the X31 and relatively easy to get to.  The
> hardware maintenance manual has full instructions.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I found the mini pci and mail you all noe from a wi(4), it works.

It seems the intel cards have some issues.

Thanks