Wireless card use

Gaby vanhegan
Has anybody any good/bad experiences to report with:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/50127
Netgear WG311 Wireless PCI card

The reviews seem to rate them, it's listed as supported hardware and
it's less than #30.  Any reason I shouldn't get one of these to go
with a 3.9 box?

Gaby

--
Junkets for bunterish lickspittles since 1998!
http://www.playr.co.uk/sudoku/
http://weblog.vanhegan.net/

Re: Wireless card use

Jonathan Gray
On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 06:40:38PM +0100, Gaby vanhegan wrote:
> Has anybody any good/bad experiences to report with:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/50127
> Netgear WG311 Wireless PCI card
>
> The reviews seem to rate them, it's listed as supported hardware and
> it's less than #30.  Any reason I shouldn't get one of these to go
> with a 3.9 box?

There are several versions of this.
The first one is based on an Atheros chip ath(4) should support,
although ath currently only supports 802.11b rates on it.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG311v1.asp

The second one is based on an newer unsupported Atheros chip
(you can tell this one as it does not have a full height RF shield).
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG311v2.asp

The third is based on a TI ACX chip which can be picked by
its blue PCB.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG311v3.asp

Given Atheros is openly hostile to efforts to support hardware
that incorporates their products, you would be better off selecting
hardware from the list  of Ralink RT2500 based devices.

Jonathan

Re: Wireless card use

Andy Hayward
On 6/7/06, Gaby vanhegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The reviews seem to rate them, it's listed as supported hardware and
> it's less than #30.  Any reason I shouldn't get one of these to go
> with a 3.9 box?

Edimax EW-7128G

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=152539

-- ach

Re: Wireless card use

Dries Schellekens
Jonathan Gray wrote:

> The third is based on a TI ACX chip which can be picked by
> its blue PCB.
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG311v3.asp

Is this likely to be supported by OpenBSD? Is TI still refusing to
permit the distribution of the firmware blob?

Linux people seem to have figured out that including a driver for this
chip could have some legal issues: http://kerneltrap.org/node/6692

Cheers,

Dries

Re: Wireless card use

Jonathan Gray
On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:50:26AM +0200, Dries Schellekens wrote:

> Jonathan Gray wrote:
>
> >The third is based on a TI ACX chip which can be picked by
> >its blue PCB.
> >http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG311v3.asp
>
> Is this likely to be supported by OpenBSD? Is TI still refusing to

no

> permit the distribution of the firmware blob?

They aren't talking period.  No documentation available either.

Re: Wireless card use

Gaby vanhegan
On 8 Jun 2006, at 09:36, Andy Hayward wrote:

> Edimax EW-7128G
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=152539

Can't argue with that price!  Thanks!