Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

John Tate-8
I just configured a wireless device for hostap and put it on a bridge with
my wired network and a virtual ethernet device to give it an address. The
wired network is working fine, so if I solve this problem the wireless
should work fine, but the access point is not appearing in scans. I might
have missed an option for it to do this.

menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.run0
up media autoselect mediaopt hostap nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpa wpakey
XXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2

menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.fxp0

up

menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.vether0

inet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.255
up

menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.bridge0

add vether0
add fxp0
add run0
up

menger:root # ifconfig run0
run0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:22:75:8e:f2:f8
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)
        status: no network
        ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpakey XXXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
        inet6 fe80::222:75ff:fe8e:f2f8%run0 prefixlen 64 tentative scopeid
0x5

What have I missed?

--
www.johntate.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 04:41:06PM +1000, John Tate wrote:

> I just configured a wireless device for hostap and put it on a bridge with
> my wired network and a virtual ethernet device to give it an address. The
> wired network is working fine, so if I solve this problem the wireless
> should work fine, but the access point is not appearing in scans. I might
> have missed an option for it to do this.
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.run0
> up media autoselect mediaopt hostap nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpa wpakey
> XXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.fxp0
>
> up
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.vether0
>
> inet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.255
> up
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.bridge0
>
> add vether0
> add fxp0
> add run0
> up
>
> menger:root # ifconfig run0
> run0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 00:22:75:8e:f2:f8
>         priority: 4
>         groups: wlan
>         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)
>         status: no network
>         ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpakey XXXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
> wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
>         inet6 fe80::222:75ff:fe8e:f2f8%run0 prefixlen 64 tentative scopeid
> 0x5
>
> What have I missed?

Reading the man page rum(4) it doesn't say it supports hostap mode.

        -Otto

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

David Coppa
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What have I missed?
>
> Reading the man page rum(4) it doesn't say it supports hostap mode.

s/rum/run/

Indeed, run(4) does not support hostap mode.

cheers,
David

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

John Tate-8
Is there a card commonly on the market today that this list would recommend
that supports hostap for under $100?


On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM, David Coppa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> What have I missed?
> >
> > Reading the man page rum(4) it doesn't say it supports hostap mode.
>
> s/rum/run/
>
> Indeed, run(4) does not support hostap mode.
>
> cheers,
> David
>



--
www.johntate.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

David Coppa
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM, John Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a card commonly on the market today that this list would recommend
> that supports hostap for under $100?

Something supported by athn(4).

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

John Tate-8
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
So I've got a supported Atheros card, I think something is wrong with
my config for the adapter because it's still not showing up in scans
on my Samsung Galaxy Ace. There are a lot of media options, I'm using
the defaults which I assumed would be right but could be wrong. I
might have to do a lot of research into the various media options but
a quick answer would be nice.

# cat /etc/hostname.fxp0
up
# cat /etc/hostname.athn0
up media autoselect mode 11g mediaopt hostap nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12
wpa wpakey XXXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
# cat /etc/hostname.vether0
inet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.255
up
# cat /etc/hostname.bridge0
add vether0
add fxp0
add athn0
up
# ifconfig athn0
athn0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr f8:1a:67:d6:28:40
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1)
        status: no network
        ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpaprotos wpa1,wpa2
wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
        inet6 fe80::fa1a:67ff:fed6:2840%athn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
# ifconfig athn0 scan
athn0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr f8:1a:67:d6:28:40
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1)
        status: no network
        ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpaprotos wpa1,wpa2
wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
                nwid lvfs chan 6 bssid 00:1d:b3:4c:61:d5 18dB 54M
privacy,spectrum_mgmt,short_slottime
                nwid "N 2.4 GHz" chan 2 bssid 00:22:3f:5a:8b:4a 32dB
54M privacy,short_slottime
                nwid NETGEAR chan 6 bssid 00:24:b2:fa:64:da 45dB 54M
short_preamble,short_slottime
                nwid Allan-PC chan 7 bssid 00:25:9c:6e:94:fa 16dB 54M
privacy,short_preamble,short_slottime
                nwid BigPond655C85 chan 1 bssid 58:98:35:65:5c:85 17dB
54M privacy,short_slottime

I really want to get this running.

John.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM, John Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just configured a wireless device for hostap and put it on a bridge with
> my wired network and a virtual ethernet device to give it an address. The
> wired network is working fine, so if I solve this problem the wireless
> should work fine, but the access point is not appearing in scans. I might
> have missed an option for it to do this.
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.run0
> up media autoselect mediaopt hostap nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpa wpakey
> XXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.fxp0
> up
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.vether0
> inet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.255
> up
>
> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.bridge0
> add vether0
> add fxp0
> add run0
> up
>
> menger:root # ifconfig run0
> run0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 00:22:75:8e:f2:f8
>         priority: 4
>         groups: wlan
>         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)
>         status: no network
>         ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpakey XXXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
> wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
>         inet6 fe80::222:75ff:fe8e:f2f8%run0 prefixlen 64 tentative scopeid
> 0x5
>
> What have I missed?
>
> --
> www.johntate.org



--
www.johntate.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless access point not appearing to clients.

John Tate-8
Someone has helped me resolve this, the hacked MIUI v4 firmware I'm
using does not support channel 12. All help has been greatly
appreciated.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM, John Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I've got a supported Atheros card, I think something is wrong with
> my config for the adapter because it's still not showing up in scans
> on my Samsung Galaxy Ace. There are a lot of media options, I'm using
> the defaults which I assumed would be right but could be wrong. I
> might have to do a lot of research into the various media options but
> a quick answer would be nice.
>
> # cat /etc/hostname.fxp0
> up
> # cat /etc/hostname.athn0
> up media autoselect mode 11g mediaopt hostap nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12
> wpa wpakey XXXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
> # cat /etc/hostname.vether0
> inet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.255
> up
> # cat /etc/hostname.bridge0
> add vether0
> add fxp0
> add athn0
> up
> # ifconfig athn0
> athn0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         lladdr f8:1a:67:d6:28:40
>         priority: 4
>         groups: wlan
>         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1)
>         status: no network
>         ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpaprotos wpa1,wpa2
> wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
>         inet6 fe80::fa1a:67ff:fed6:2840%athn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> # ifconfig athn0 scan
> athn0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         lladdr f8:1a:67:d6:28:40
>         priority: 4
>         groups: wlan
>         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1)
>         status: no network
>         ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpaprotos wpa1,wpa2
> wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
>                 nwid lvfs chan 6 bssid 00:1d:b3:4c:61:d5 18dB 54M
> privacy,spectrum_mgmt,short_slottime
>                 nwid "N 2.4 GHz" chan 2 bssid 00:22:3f:5a:8b:4a 32dB
> 54M privacy,short_slottime
>                 nwid NETGEAR chan 6 bssid 00:24:b2:fa:64:da 45dB 54M
> short_preamble,short_slottime
>                 nwid Allan-PC chan 7 bssid 00:25:9c:6e:94:fa 16dB 54M
> privacy,short_preamble,short_slottime
>                 nwid BigPond655C85 chan 1 bssid 58:98:35:65:5c:85 17dB
> 54M privacy,short_slottime
>
> I really want to get this running.
>
> John.
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM, John Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just configured a wireless device for hostap and put it on a bridge with
>> my wired network and a virtual ethernet device to give it an address. The
>> wired network is working fine, so if I solve this problem the wireless
>> should work fine, but the access point is not appearing in scans. I might
>> have missed an option for it to do this.
>>
>> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.run0
>> up media autoselect mediaopt hostap nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpa wpakey
>> XXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
>>
>> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.fxp0
>> up
>>
>> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.vether0
>> inet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.255
>> up
>>
>> menger:root # cat /etc/hostname.bridge0
>> add vether0
>> add fxp0
>> add run0
>> up
>>
>> menger:root # ifconfig run0
>> run0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>         lladdr 00:22:75:8e:f2:f8
>>         priority: 4
>>         groups: wlan
>>         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)
>>         status: no network
>>         ieee80211: nwid KintaroADOBE chan 12 wpakey XXXXXXXX wpaprotos wpa2
>> wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
>>         inet6 fe80::222:75ff:fe8e:f2f8%run0 prefixlen 64 tentative scopeid
>> 0x5
>>
>> What have I missed?
>>
>> --
>> www.johntate.org
>
>
>
> --
> www.johntate.org



--
www.johntate.org