Windows Server on Qemu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windows Server on Qemu

Joel Carnat
Hi,

Anyone here succeeded in having Windows Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2 run in qemu-2.2.0 (OpenBSD 5.7/amd64) ?

Mine keeps going BSOD on installation. Most of documentation I found was Linux-centric so I may miss some OpenBSD trick.

TIA,
  Jo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Server on Qemu

Mike Larkin
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:00:49PM +0200, Joel Carnat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone here succeeded in having Windows Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2 run in qemu-2.2.0 (OpenBSD 5.7/amd64) ?
>
> Mine keeps going BSOD on installation. Most of documentation I found was Linux-centric so I may miss some OpenBSD trick.
>
> TIA,
>   Jo
>

I just installed Server 2008 datacenter without any issues.

I'll try some other versions later.

-ml

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Server on Qemu

Jorge Castillo
In reply to this post by Joel Carnat
You might be interest in using a cheap VPS from Vultr. You can run it on
demand, if you need only X hours of use you only pay X hours.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Server on Qemu

Mike Larkin
In reply to this post by Mike Larkin
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 06:40:33PM -0700, Mike Larkin wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:00:49PM +0200, Joel Carnat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone here succeeded in having Windows Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2 run in qemu-2.2.0 (OpenBSD 5.7/amd64) ?
> >
> > Mine keeps going BSOD on installation. Most of documentation I found was Linux-centric so I may miss some OpenBSD trick.
> >
> > TIA,
> >   Jo
> >
>
> I just installed Server 2008 datacenter without any issues.
>
> I'll try some other versions later.
>
> -ml
>

Server 2008 datacenter 32 bit installed fine.

Any later version requires 64 bit and doesn't work on TCG (unaccelerated)
qemu. This is a qemu bug, not an OpenBSD bug.

Apparently with a couple of diffs floating around on the qemu mailing
list, you can at least get past the 5D BSOD, but you just end up
getting whacked by PatchGuard after a few minutes due to other bugs
in qemu. And then someone fixed^Whacked around that issue and got
further, but then broke app compatibility in some cases.

See:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-08/msg02161.html

and

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-09/msg01412.html

and

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-07/msg03729.html


I'm not sure what you were after, but if you just need "any Windows
server", 32 bit server 2008 runs fine (albeit very slowly, like 25%
native speed).

-ml

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Server on Qemu

Joel Carnat
> Le 13 août 2015 à 08:41, Mike Larkin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 06:40:33PM -0700, Mike Larkin wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:00:49PM +0200, Joel Carnat wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anyone here succeeded in having Windows Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2 run in qemu-2.2.0 (OpenBSD 5.7/amd64) ?
>>>
>>> Mine keeps going BSOD on installation. Most of documentation I found was Linux-centric so I may miss some OpenBSD trick.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>  Jo
>>>
>>
>> I just installed Server 2008 datacenter without any issues.
>>
>> I'll try some other versions later.
>>
>> -ml
>>
>
> Server 2008 datacenter 32 bit installed fine.

Ah. I only tried 64 bit versions.

>
> Any later version requires 64 bit and doesn't work on TCG (unaccelerated)
> qemu. This is a qemu bug, not an OpenBSD bug.
>
> Apparently with a couple of diffs floating around on the qemu mailing
> list, you can at least get past the 5D BSOD, but you just end up
> getting whacked by PatchGuard after a few minutes due to other bugs
> in qemu. And then someone fixed^Whacked around that issue and got
> further, but then broke app compatibility in some cases.
>

Yep, that’s what I read too.
I was hoping there were good news I didn’t found.

> See:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-08/msg02161.html
>
> and
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-09/msg01412.html
>
> and
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-07/msg03729.html
>
> I'm not sure what you were after, but if you just need "any Windows
> server", 32 bit server 2008 runs fine (albeit very slowly, like 25%
> native speed).

Well, I’m just thinking of replacing my ESXi with an OpenBSD server with Qemu instances.
It’s not for production purpose ; just trying/checking a few things on recent MS software.
Speed wouldn’t be an issue. I just need to have them work ; from time to time.

Regards,
   Jo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Server on Qemu

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by Mike Larkin
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 18:40:33 -0700
Mike Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:00:49PM +0200, Joel Carnat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone here succeeded in having Windows Server
> > 2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2 run in qemu-2.2.0 (OpenBSD 5.7/amd64) ?
> >
> > Mine keeps going BSOD on installation. Most of documentation I
> > found was Linux-centric so I may miss some OpenBSD trick.
> >
> > TIA,
> >   Jo
> >
>
> I just installed Server 2008 datacenter without any issues.
>
> I'll try some other versions later.
>
> -ml
>

The last I heard was that OpenBSD didn's support hardware accelerated
Qemu and probably never would. Has this changed?

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Server on Qemu

Mike Larkin
In reply to this post by Jorge Castillo
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 07:30:35PM -0600, Jorge Castillo wrote:
> You might be interest in using a cheap VPS from Vultr. You can run it on
> demand, if you need only X hours of use you only pay X hours.
>

Or a free micro instance from AWS.