Window Manager

Gonzalo Rodriguez-2
I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
why?

Regards

Re: Window Manager

Douglas A. Tutty
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> why?

I don't understand the question.  Are you asking what window manager I
use?  icewm:  small, easy to configure, has a taskbar for frequently
used apps.  Works well on my low-resource systems.

Doug.

Re: Window Manager

xavier brinon
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> > I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses?
> And
> > why?
>

> I don't understand the question.  Are you asking what window manager I
> use?  icewm:  small, easy to configure, has a taskbar for frequently
> used apps.  Works well on my low-resource systems.
>

> Doug.

If indeed Doug is right about your question
I'm testing e17, not so small, not that easy to configure (everything is
new, it takes time), very shiny (I can show off with my OBSD now)

Xavier.

Re: Window Manager

Jesus Sanchez
Douglas A. Tutty escribis:

> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager
>> uses? And
>> why?
>>

> I don't understand the question.  Are you asking what window manager I
> use?  icewm:  small, easy to configure, has a taskbar for frequently
> used apps.  Works well on my low-resource systems.
>
> Doug.

It depends on the hard power you have, for low CPU use I prefer fvwm2,
wich is really light and functional, other nice choices are icewm,
windowmaker (wmaker) and enlightenment (this uses more CPU and have more
cool effects).

Try windowmaker, its really intuitive, and icewm is great for windows
users.

-Jesus

Re: Window Manager

Francesco Vollero
Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez ha scritto:
> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> why?
>
> Regards

wmaker (Window Maker) :  small, easy to configure, has a taskbar for frequently used apps, and for each workspace you can have different applications, so you can have multiple workspaces with shortcuts to most used apps.  Works well on low-resource systems.

Francesco

Re: Window Manager

Douglas A. Tutty
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:16:06PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> > I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> > why?
>

> I don't understand the question.  Are you asking what window manager I
> use?  icewm:  small, easy to configure, has a taskbar for frequently
> used apps.  Works well on my low-resource systems.

I intend, when I get the time, to try openbox.

Doug.

Re: Window Manager

Jonathan Schleifer-5
"Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager
> uses? And why?

For small systems, I use evilwm (with a few patches of my own) or
OpenBox, on systems with more power (and RAM!) I use Gnome ( + compiz
when I have 3D support, for example on Linux).

--
Jonathan

Re: Window Manager

jmc-5
--- Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez [Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300]: ---
> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> why?

ratpoison. easy to customize, very minimalistic.

Re: Window Manager

Gonzalo Rodriguez-2
if fvwm (default) had a traybar (and taskbar) for programs like pidgin or
aMSN, that4s be great.

2008/5/5 Douglas A. Tutty <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:16:06PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez
> wrote:
> > > I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager
> uses? And
> > > why?
> >

> > I don't understand the question.  Are you asking what window manager I
> > use?  icewm:  small, easy to configure, has a taskbar for frequently
> > used apps.  Works well on my low-resource systems.
>
> I intend, when I get the time, to try openbox.
>
> Doug.

Re: Window Manager

John Nietzsche
Does anybody knows how to get multiple workspace in openmotif that
comes with openbsd 4.3 ?

Thanks in advance.

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
>  why?
>
>  Regards

Re: Window Manager

Predrag Punosevac
> if fvwm (default) had a traybar (and taskbar) for programs like pidgin or
> aMSN, that4s be great.

I am not using fvwm but it is highly configurable so I would not be
surprised that you can do that if you go through documentation. That might
take you a while:-) In any rate there are at list dozen of traybar and
taskbars in ports that can do the job you are describing. Some of them are
extremely light.

Now since I am already participating in the discussion let me state for the
record that I use OpenBox and Xfce-panel (as a tray/task bar).
I used for the long time TWM and still very usable. If you like ultralight
things look at a dynamic window manager (dwm). It has less than 2000 lines
of C code.

Best,
Predrag

> 2008/5/5 Douglas A. Tutty <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:16:06PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> uses? And
>> >

>> > I don't understand the question.  Are you asking what window manager I
>> > use?  icewm:  small, easy to configure, has a taskbar for frequently
>> > used apps.  Works well on my low-resource systems.
>>
>> I intend, when I get the time, to try openbox.
>>
>> Doug.

Re: Window Manager

Predrag Punosevac
John Nietzsche wrote:

> Does anybody knows how to get multiple workspace in openmotif that
> comes with openbsd 4.3 ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
>>  why?
>>
>>  Regards

I wonder if you could use VDesk   http://openports.se/x11/vdesk   from
ports?

Re: Window Manager

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> if fvwm (default) had a traybar (and taskbar) for programs like pidgin or
>  aMSN, that4s be great.

if you don't like fvwm (it's certainly ugly) you can try the options
mentioned. I prefer KDE.

By the way, there's a mailing list about OpenBSD for Spanish speakers here:

http://groups.google.com/group/OpenBSD-Mexico

Gerardo Santana

Re: Window Manager

Paul Irofti
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> why?

I use cwm (its in base)

Re: Window Manager

andrew fresh
On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:18:06PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> > I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> > why?
>
> I use cwm (its in base)

I have to agree with this one.  It is in base and it keeps getting
better and better (it is the reason I am running snapshots on my
desktop instead of -stable)

l8rZ,
--
andrew - ICQ# 253198 - Jabber: [hidden email]

BOFH excuse of the day: Incorrectly configured static routes on the
    corerouters.

Re: Window Manager

Vince S. Buffalo-2
I'll advocate for wmii - it perfectly divides your screen, allows for
multiple desktops and doesn't depend on a mouse. The perfect solution to
feeping creaturism!

Vince

--
Vince Buffalo
University of California, Davis
http://vincebuffalo.org/

Re: Window Manager

Owain Ainsworth-2
On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:39:03AM -0700, andrew fresh wrote:

> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:18:06PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
> > On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> > > I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> > > why?
> >
> > I use cwm (its in base)
>
> I have to agree with this one.  It is in base and it keeps getting
> better and better (it is the reason I am running snapshots on my
> desktop instead of -stable)
>
> l8rZ,

As the current maintainer, thank you. It's nice to know our work is
appreciated.

-0-
--
The mosquito is the state bird of New Jersey.
                -- Andy Warhol

Re: Window Manager

Manuel Wildauer-3
Fluxbox

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> why?
>
> Regards
---end quoted text---

Re: Window Manager

"J. Rodrigo Anabalón"
blackbox, because is easy config
Regards.

Dmitri.-

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 09:32:47PM +0200, Manuel Wildauer wrote:
> Fluxbox
>
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:29:42PM -0300, Gonzalo Lionel Rodriguez wrote:
> > I dont know if it is the place to ask it, but that window manager uses? And
> > why?
> >
> > Regards
> ---end quoted text---

Re: Window Manager