[Wifi] not supported

Timothée FAURE
Hello !!
(I'm French, so, if I don't speak English very well, please, don't kill me 😉)

I've tried to install OpenBSD on my computer, but, the Wifi don't run...
I have a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter card.
(I know that *BSD doesn't support that Wifi card.)

So, is it possible to add the support of this type of card in a future version (or in -CURRENT) ?
Sorry, but, I don't have any skill to sugest a Patch...

But, that could help you :
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/qualcomm-atheros-qca9377.70328/
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware
If you want, I can try the firmware for you (if it's possible...).
Thank you very much for this incredible Operating system !!!

IN FRENCH (if that can helps you; it's the same message, translated in french) :
Bonjour !!
(voici une traduction, si cela peut vous aider 😉)

J'ai essayé d'installer OpenBSD sur mon ordinateur, mais, le Wifi ne fonctionne pas...
J'ai une carte Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter.
(Je sais que les *BSD ne supportent pas cette carte Wifi.)

Donc, est-il possible d'ajouter le support pour ce type de carte dans une version future (ou dans -CURRENT) ?
Désolé, mais, je n'ai pas les capacités pour suggérer un Patch...

Mais, ceci pourrait vous aider :
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/qualcomm-atheros-qca9377.70328/
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware
Si vous voulez, je peux essayer le pilote pour vous (si c'est possible...).
Merci beaucoup pour ce Système d'Exploitation incroyable !!!

Re: [Wifi] not supported

Stuart Henderson
On 2020/03/12 15:35, Timothée FAURE wrote:
> Hello !!
> (I'm French, so, if I don't speak English very well, please, don't kill me 😉)
>
> I've tried to install OpenBSD on my computer, but, the Wifi don't run...
> I have a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter card.
> (I know that *BSD doesn't support that Wifi card.)
>
> So, is it possible to add the support of this type of card in a future version (or in -CURRENT) ?
> Sorry, but, I don't have any skill to sugest a Patch...

Possible? Yes.

But it will need someone with skill *and time* to write the driver.

If you want to use it now, look for a USB wifi device. Most of those
supporting 11a/b/g/n *but not supporting 11ac* will work.

Re: [Wifi] not supported

Stefan Sperling-5
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:15:47PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2020/03/12 15:35, Timothée FAURE wrote:
> > Hello !!
> > (I'm French, so, if I don't speak English very well, please, don't kill me 😉)
> >
> > I've tried to install OpenBSD on my computer, but, the Wifi don't run...
> > I have a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter card.
> > (I know that *BSD doesn't support that Wifi card.)
> >
> > So, is it possible to add the support of this type of card in a future version (or in -CURRENT) ?
> > Sorry, but, I don't have any skill to sugest a Patch...
>
> Possible? Yes.
>
> But it will need someone with skill *and time* to write the driver.

With time counted in units of months, not hours, days, or weeks.

I don't think many people realize how much work is involved since they
will usually only see the end result: New working drivers appear in some
new release of OpenBSD and from then on are just taken for granted.