Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Random, Eyes
I installed an OpenBSD 5.2 using "-* & +etc* & +base* & +bsd".

Can someone tell my why are these:

egrep -i '^time|^daytime|^ident|comsat' /etc/inetd.conf
    ident          stream  tcp     nowait  _identd /usr/libexec/identd
    identd -el
    ident          stream  tcp6    nowait  _identd /usr/libexec/identd
    identd -el
    127.0.0.1:comsat dgram udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/comsat
    comsat
    [::1]:comsat   dgram   udp6    wait    root    /usr/libexec/comsat
    comsat
    daytime                stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
    daytime                stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal
    time           stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
    time           stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal
    daytime        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
    daytime        dgram   udp6    wait    root    internal
    time           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
    time           dgram   udp6    wait    root    internal

important in the default install to be enabled? With this the KISS
principle is not followed...

Please read the thread in the:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/60175/why-does-time-ident-daytime-comsat-run-after-an-openbsd-5-2-install

if further comments needed.

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Gilles Chehade-7
On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:44:33AM +0100, Random, Eyes wrote:
> I installed an OpenBSD 5.2 using "-* & +etc* & +base* & +bsd".
>
> Can someone tell my why are these:
>
> [...]
>
> important in the default install to be enabled? With this the KISS
> principle is not followed...

Interesting question ...

> Please read the thread in the:
>
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/60175/why-does-time-ident-daytime-comsat-run-after-an-openbsd-5-2-install
>
> if further comments needed.

... by obvious know-it-all troll.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Random, Eyes
obviously you or someone from this list knows the answer that why are
these rarely used services needed to be enabled by default.

p.s.: are you Gilles ( http://unix.stackexchange.com/users/885/gilles )?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:37:13AM +0100, Random, Eyes wrote:
> obviously you or someone from this list knows the answer that why are
> these rarely used services needed to be enabled by default.

I don't, as a matter of fact I don't rely on inetd so it's disabled on
my machines.

> p.s.: are you Gilles ( http://unix.stackexchange.com/users/885/gilles )?

No

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Random, Eyes
Should this question posted on the dev mailing list?

2013/1/4 Gilles Chehade <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:37:13AM +0100, Random, Eyes wrote:
>> obviously you or someone from this list knows the answer that why are
>> these rarely used services needed to be enabled by default.
>>

> I don't, as a matter of fact I don't rely on inetd so it's disabled on
> my machines.
>

>> p.s.: are you Gilles ( http://unix.stackexchange.com/users/885/gilles )?
>>

> No
>

> --
> Gilles Chehade
>
> https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas-2
On vendredi 04 janvier 2013 à 01:23:56, Random, Eyes wrote:
> Should this question posted on the dev mailing list?

I don't think so.  What are you trying to do?  Broadcasting
line noise?

wrt to your question: the fact that you have no use for these
services doesn't mean they aren't useful to developers and
other users.

Or perhaps did you just want to show off on your crapexchange
website?  Oops, I just followed your link and indeed...
Congrats, you've just wasted a few minutes of my life.

"KISS"...

*plonk*

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

f.holop
hi,

i seem to recall reading in some RFC or maybe in
one of the stevens books that these services are
required for a "server".  i look at it as being
a good internet neighbour, a bit like "can you tell
me the time please" when someone stops you on the street...

-f
and god said, "i'll buy a vowel."

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Lars Hansson-5
ntpd and sshd are only running if you enabled them when installing. For the
rest, just turn off inetd.
Why are they enabled by default? Search the mailing lists, it has been
asked and answered before.

----
Lars

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Random, Eyes
frantisek holop's answer is the most logical yet:

---------
hi,

i seem to recall reading in some RFC or maybe in
one of the stevens books that these services are
required for a "server".  i look at it as being
a good internet neighbour, a bit like "can you tell
me the time please" when someone stops you on the street...
---------

p.s.: I created a bounty for this question on the stackexchange site.
p.s.2: @Jeremie Courreges-Anglas: are you ok bro'? didn't got your pills?

2013/1/6 Lars Hansson <[hidden email]>:
> ntpd and sshd are only running if you enabled them when installing. For the
> rest, just turn off inetd.
> Why are they enabled by default? Search the mailing lists, it has been
> asked and answered before.
>
> ----
> Lars

Re: Why does time/ident/daytime/comsat run after an OpenBSD 5.2 install?

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
As Lars Hansson said,

> > ntpd and sshd are only running if you enabled them when installing. For the
> > rest, just turn off inetd.

Like the man said. If you see no use for inetd, don't run it.

> > Why are they enabled by default? Search the mailing lists, it has been
> > asked and answered before.

Did you search the mailing lists?

In almost all cases, 'search the mailing lists' is a friendly attempt to
provide a pointer to good information.